Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger Fees

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What determines the fees at the Supercharger? I recently completed a trip from South Florida to Jacksonville. I charged at Ft. Pierce, St. Augustine and Port Orange @ $0.34/kWh, while Delray Beach was only $0.19/kWh.

- Each supercharger has a different pricing, check on your screen.
- Under 60kW power is cheaper, typically half of the price of over 60kW. So it depends on what power your car requests
- V2 supercharger will fall to lower pricing when power is shared, even if over 60kW.
THere is sometimes different pricing in busy/free periods.

Reactions: Rocky_H and wynnek
AFAIK some states do not allow per-kWh pricing, so I'd think Tesla is forced to charge per minute in those.

Apart from that, at least to the places I've been, there are usually time-of-day rates, i.e it's cheaper to charge in off-peak hours.

Anyway, in the end it's Tesla that determines the pricing.

Reactions: Tedkidd
What determines the fees at the Supercharger? I recently completed a trip from South Florida to Jacksonville. I charged at Ft. Pierce, St. Augustine and Port Orange @ $0.34/kWh, while Delray Beach was only $0.19/kWh.
I don't recall which ones specifically, but some Florida sites vary by time of day. You can check the rates on the nav screen and it will show you.

They're Tesla units, so it's Tesla's decision, and I presume it's based on local land and electricity prices. The ones I've been to are divided by speed: it's one price at less than 50 kWh, and a higher price at over 50 kWh, but even then, the prices are different in different cities. In Toronto, it's 25 and 50 cents per minute, but when I'm up in Huntsville, on my way to the cottage, it's 22 and 44 cents.

- Each supercharger has a different pricing, check on your screen.
- Under 60kW power is cheaper, typically half of the price of over 60kW. So it depends on what power your car requests
- V2 supercharger will fall to lower pricing when power is shared, even if over 60kW.
THere is sometimes different pricing in busy/free periods.
I've been finding that you have to be at pretty high SoC before the charge rate will drop below 60 kW. I'm interested in minimizing total enroute time so typically leave the Supercharger with 75% SoC or less in order to arrive home or at the next charging stop with 10%. Tesla's site explicitly says that the lower tier pricing applies when a supercharger stall is being shared. That happened to me in Cornwall ON on Sunday, and Tezlab shows the charge rate was initially at around 65 kW. My charging "buddy" then relocated when another stall opened up, and my rate went up to 140 kW. However, the billing for 11 minutes was $5.19 which suggests that the higher rate was applied for the entire charging period.

My bills split out the number of minutes at different speeds - i.e. the bill in my Tesla account, not the total amount on the charging screen.
Now that you reminded me of that, I dug into the account to confirm - I've been using credits up until last month so it wasn't necessary to check before. Also, it's not very easy to locate the information in the app or website because it's buried deep in the menus. Also noticed the app doesn't show charging breakdown on the summary page like the website does; you have to download the invoice to see details. I did find one charging stop with one minute of"low power" charging but otherwise all have been at the higher rate even when sharing a stall.