Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Farmington, NM

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nine cars waiting at Farmington two hours after the eclipse. I lucked out and got a spot when I arrived just twenty minutes after the eclipse, six cars waiting when I unplugged.

IMG_20231014_124927559_HDR.jpg

I'm guessing that this is by far the longest line ever at Farmington. Haven't even seen lines on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving. The reported second Supercharger site in Farmington will be helpful if it happens. Not that an eclipse will occur here again anytime soon!

This is a quick ABRP plan for that city pair, technically for a MYLR, but sandbagged enough is probably closer to accurate on a MYP. ABRP says divert up to Bluff, UT (a CCS station so capable car and adapter required).

Yet another route on which a Supercharger in Kayenta, AZ would significantly reduce stress...

Screenshot_20231220-074559_ABRP.png

Not an exact comparison, but…
I did Page to Blanding 3 years ago, 200 miles, through Monument Valley, of course, in a Model 3 LR (Fully loaded up with gear). I full charged in Page in the morning, but with a cold battery overnight, and maybe a little headwind, and even going 5 under to start the segment, it was getting a little uncomfortable on the estimated SOC at arrival; I would have made it with 10% or so remaining, but in the middle of nowhere, I was a little concerned.
We ended up stopping for lunch in Bluff and L2 charging for almost an hour (so after that we were easily good to Blanding).

Not an exact comparison, but…
I did Page to Blanding 3 years ago, 200 miles, through Monument Valley, of course, in a Model 3 LR (Fully loaded up with gear). I full charged in Page in the morning, but with a cold battery overnight, and maybe a little headwind, and even going 5 under to start the segment, it was getting a little uncomfortable on the estimated SOC at arrival; I would have made it with 10% or so remaining, but in the middle of nowhere, I was a little concerned.
We ended up stopping for lunch in Bluff and L2 charging for almost an hour (so after that we were easily good to Blanding).
It is good to know, DeepBlue. Thanks a lot. My trip is actually from Page to Durango. So going through Bluff would be a good option

Nine cars waiting at Farmington two hours after the eclipse. I lucked out and got a spot when I arrived just twenty minutes after the eclipse, six cars waiting when I unplugged.

View attachment 982220

I'm guessing that this is by far the longest line ever at Farmington. Haven't even seen lines on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving. The reported second Supercharger site in Farmington will be helpful if it happens. Not that an eclipse will occur here again anytime soon!
Yeah, there are very few Supercharge location with only 4 chargers (like Farmington). An upgrade is def in order!

View attachment 1015952

I think it's always been 150. Those individuals who had 72 must have been sharing seeing it's an older charger.
It was originally 120kw shared (around 60kw per vehicle if sharing) and we are now seeing 150kw shared (around 75kw per vehicle when sharing)

Supercharge.info is out-of-date
1707249595922.png

It was originally 120kw shared (around 60kw per vehicle if sharing) and we are now seeing 150kw shared (around 75kw per vehicle when sharing)

Supercharge.info is out-of-date
View attachment 1015970
Yes. Farmington was one of the original Supercharger Stations on the first transcontinental Supercharger route in early 2014, along with Glenwood Springs, Grand Junction, Moab, Blanding, Gallup, and Holbrook. (They reportedly followed the path of a family road trip by Elon Musk.) Farmington Supercharger Station went live in January 2014 — more than ten years ago!

Those early stations were upgraded to V2, about 120 kW shared, long ago. An upgrade to 150 kW for a V2 station is new in my experience. You can see a picture of the original V1 stalls in this post in this very thread: Supercharger - Farmington, NM

View attachment 1015952

I think it's always been 150. Those individuals who had 72 must have been sharing seeing it's an older charger.
Definitely hadn't always been 150kW. This station is 10 years old! Superchargers were either 90kW or 120kW max at that time. It's before my time but I know they maxed out at 120kW (300 amps and 400 volts) when I started driving Teslas in 2016).

Reactions: TexasDuke
Yes. Farmington was one of the original Supercharger Stations on the first transcontinental Supercharger route in early 2014, along with Glenwood Springs, Grand Junction, Moab, Blanding, Gallup, and Holbrook. (They reportedly followed the path of a family road trip by Elon Musk.) Farmington Supercharger Station went live in January 2014 — more than ten years ago!

Those early stations were upgraded to V2, about 120 kW shared, long ago. An upgrade to 150 kW for a V2 station is new in my experience. You can see a picture of the original V1 stalls in this post in this very thread: Supercharger - Farmington, NM
Ha! I should have thought to look in this thread. Impressive that we have a 10+ year old thread on here! Those are definitely v1 90kW stalls. There were still a few of those around when I started Tesla road tripping in 2016, but they were pretty rare. Most of them must have been upgraded in 2015 and 2016.

• Funny
Reactions: TexasDuke
Ha! I should have thought to look in this thread. Impressive that we have a 10+ year old thread on here! Those are definitely v1 90kW stalls. There were still a few of those around when I started Tesla road tripping in 2016, but they were pretty rare. Most of them must have been upgraded in 2015 and 2016.
I have pictures of my car charging at V1 stalls in Grand Junction, Moab, Glenwood Springs, and Silverthorne in 2016. I believe that all of them were part of that original transcontinental route. Never really noticed when they got upgraded to V2 since 90 kW was faster than my old S60 could charge even then.

Also have pictures of V1s at Green River UT and Centralia WA, a couple of other really old Supercharger Stations.

Farmington is one of the few remaining old four stall Supercharger Stations, so an upgrade to 150 kW is helpful to reduce crowding a bit. Perhaps they have done the same at Blanding — someone updated the Plugshare entry to 150 kW.

Supercharging on V1 at Moab in 2016:

Model S at Moab Supercharger1626sf 3-20-16.jpg

Last edited:
For a 4 stall site, is a 120kw to 150kw upgrade a relatively simple process in comparison to an upgrade to 250kw? Assuming there was ample power to the location, why not upgrade to 250kw or add some 250kw stalls similar to Gallup or Holbrook?

Even with a second site planned for Farmington, a full upgrade to this vintage site would have been nice.

For a 4 stall site, is a 120kw to 150kw upgrade a relatively simple process in comparison to an upgrade to 250kw? Assuming there was ample power to the location, why not upgrade to 250kw or add some 250kw stalls similar to Gallup or Holbrook?

Even with a second site planned for Farmington, a full upgrade to this vintage site would have been nice.
Switching from v2 to v3 would be very costly. Might as well just keep the old site and build a new v3 (or v4!) site, which is what they are doing.

Figured that was the case with the bump to 150kw just requiring some upgraded hardware. Farmington is typically our lunch/deep charge stop before heading over Wolf Creek Pass up to Poncha Springs. I guess the bump to 150kw will help a little until the new Farmington or Durango SC sites open.
Plenty of CCS options on this route so you wouldn’t need to spend so much time doing a deep charge, especially at a place like Farmington. And have extra charging options for exploring etc. I did the conversion on my 2019 3 with the whole western CO area in mind!