Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Fargo, ND

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting.... and maybe mentioned before.... that they only put in 4 chargers. I mean it's a major N/S, E/W intersection of Interstate SpC routes. The rest of the ND locations have 6 or more. I mean, worst case - there are chargers in five directions, what if Alexandria, Baxter, and Clearwater, Minnesota, (8 stalls each) and Sioux Falls, SD (also 8 stalls), and James Town, plus Grand Forks, ND (which have 8 and 6 stalls) all have Teslas finish at the same time and head to Fargo which only has 4?
That's 46 cars needing charge at a 4 stall location.

Fargo needs more chargers STAT!!!!

Reactions: PACEMD
Interesting.... and maybe mentioned before.... that they only put in 4 chargers. I mean it's a major N/S, E/W intersection of Interstate SpC routes. The rest of the ND locations have 6 or more. I mean, worst case - there are chargers in five directions, what if Alexandria, Baxter, and Clearwater, Minnesota, (8 stalls each) and Sioux Falls, SD (also 8 stalls), and James Town, plus Grand Forks, ND (which have 8 and 6 stalls) all have Teslas finish at the same time and head to Fargo which only has 4?
That's 46 cars needing charge at a 4 stall location.

Fargo needs more chargers STAT!!!!
Fargo has 8 installed. Only four currently on. The same thing in Miles City. They’ll turn them all on after a little while.

Fargo has 8 installed. Only four currently on. The same thing in Miles City. They’ll turn them all on after a little while.

Ahhh.... so that should handle the 46 incoming cars.

I understand Tesla's quandary about SpC planning and actual implementation. But hopefully they are planning to double or triple up these intersecting SpC routes at crucial points.
One tricky but unlikely solution would be to vary the charging rate real life so that groups of cars are not leaving (and thus arriving) the SpC's at the same time. (Of course a programmed variation of speed thru Autopilot could also assist in arrival differences). So, yes, they can control the world!!! Mwaa Haa Haa !!!

I understand Tesla's quandary about SpC planning and actual implementation. But hopefully they are planning to double or triple up these intersecting SpC routes at crucial points.
One tricky but unlikely solution would be to vary the charging rate real life so that groups of cars are not leaving (and thus arriving) the SpC's at the same time. (Of course a programmed variation of speed thru Autopilot could also assist in arrival differences). So, yes, they can control the world!!! Mwaa Haa Haa !!!

I think another point - especially in summer - is that the charge points are far enough apart that the typical vehicle stop does not need to be to full charge, or some vehicles could leapfrog every other charger. It's not a matter of every vehicle spending almost an hour at every charger on a cross country trip.

Fargo to Jamestown is 90mi for example; at over 600mph charge, the battery should be recharged in less than 10 minutes. I usually spend longer than that parked at a gas pump for a pit stop with my ICE vehicle.

When we are travelling again, I guess I'll see how EV travel compares.

I think another point - especially in summer - is that the charge points are far enough apart that the typical vehicle stop does not need to be to full charge, or some vehicles could leapfrog every other charger. It's not a matter of every vehicle spending almost an hour at every charger on a cross country trip.

Fargo to Jamestown is 90mi for example; at over 600mph charge, the battery should be recharged in less than 10 minutes. I usually spend longer than that parked at a gas pump for a pit stop with my ICE vehicle.

When we are travelling again, I guess I'll see how EV travel compares.

Unless of course your car is Supercharged limited and can max out at a measly 64kW at 35% SOC. There are still quite a few of us that have these relics. With the battery capping factored in, a 90-mile jaunt at interstate speeds would need about 130 miles of real-world range, or about 60% SOC.

Unless of course your car is Supercharged limited and can max out at a measly 64kW at 35% SOC. There are still quite a few of us that have these relics. With the battery capping factored in, a 90-mile jaunt at interstate speeds would need about 130 miles of real-world range, or about 60% SOC.

I hear you, but those of you in this boat are at this point a statistically insignificant portion of the fleet. The turnover of the typical Supercharging car will be 10-30 minutes on average.

Ok, I admit I was giving worst case scenario. So - dial it down...

Let's say only half of the capacity of each of the outlying charging stations (3 in Minnesota, 2 in North Dakota, and the one in South Dakota) head toward a fully working Fargo SpC and arrive at the same time. That's still 23 newly arrived cars wanting to charge at an 8 stall SpC. Sooo, hopefully 8 stalls at Fargo is just a beginning and expansion plans are in the works. Bad, Bad, Bad if not !!! Even go down to only a quarter of the Teslas finish, head to Fargo only to find they are one of 11 or 12 cars wanting to charge at maybe 8 available slots.
It's called 'spoke' planning. (like a bike wheel)

Ideal is the 'in- line' planning which follows
I'm happy to use the half method, because that is what should be used for SpC's in a straight line route. (3 stations in a line along a hwy and half the cars charging leave each of the outer stations heading opposite directions toward the middle station likely arriving at the same time - so - equal numbers of charge ports (8 at each, for example) will satisfy needs most of the time.

Tesla has essentially installed its basic build, which is 8-stall Superchargers spaced to allow year-round travel.
The capacity is currently in excess of demand.
The density is not optimized.

Tesla will react to any future demand growth by adding stalls in existing, nearby or additional locations to increase density, capacity or both.

Tesla has essentially installed its basic build, which is 8-stall Superchargers spaced to allow year-round travel.
The capacity is currently in excess of demand.
The density is not optimized.

Tesla will react to any future demand growth by adding stalls in existing, nearby or additional locations to increase density, capacity or both.
Also, it's not as if everyone charging in Alexandria, Jamestown, Winnipeg, and Sioux Falls are all on their way to Fargo.

The largest gap between Superchargers along I-94 is now 107.7 miles.
The largest skip along I-94 is 197.6 miles from Jamestown, ND to Alexandria, MN.
However:
- from the start of I-94 to the westernmost Supercharger in Miles City, MT is 137.3 miles.
- Billings, MT (I-90, I-94) to Miles City, MT is 151.7 miles
- Sheridan, WY (WY-338/MT-314,US-212,MT-39,I-94) is 181.7 miles
So, there really could do with being something more at the Western end of I-94 for additional connections.
Forsyth, MT being an obvious candidate. Billings, MT to Forsyth, MT would be about 108 miles and Sheridan, WY to Forsyth, MT would be about 138 miles.
That would _really_ complete I-94.