Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Darien CT Rest Area

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having said that, I rarely find the need to use Darien/Milford/greenwich anymore. They are too stressful, with their limited number stalls and ICE’ing - especially high traffic periods.

I much prefer to visit the super chargers that have at least 8 stalls - Danbury, Milford (mall), Tarrytown, Paramus.

100% agree, especially Greenwich, I think they need to remove that station, expand it, and move it elsewhere, as its nearly useless most of the time

Reactions: HankLloydRight
I'm planning a trip from Boston suburbs to Philly area in a few weeks. It will be my first long distance trip actually requiring supercharging. My plan is to stop in Manchester,CT where there is a big 16 stall supercharger near a five guys, I'm going to top off enough there to make it all the way to the Burlington, NJ supercharger right before the PA turnpike bridge. I will then top off there so I have enough charge to drive around for the few days I am down there. Supercharging (actually any public charging) in Philadelphia suburbs is surprisingly sparse for some reason.

I have a model 3 with 19" rims. Should I be able to make it from Manchester to Burlington? or will I need another stop somewhere. per google maps its 190 miles, so I'm thinking I should be ok with a 80% or 90% charge.

I'm planning a trip from Boston suburbs to Philly area in a few weeks. It will be my first long distance trip actually requiring supercharging. My plan is to stop in Manchester,CT where there is a big 16 stall supercharger near a five guys, I'm going to top off enough there to make it all the way to the Burlington, NJ supercharger right before the PA turnpike bridge. I will then top off there so I have enough charge to drive around for the few days I am down there. Supercharging (actually any public charging) in Philadelphia suburbs is surprisingly sparse for some reason.

I have a model 3 with 19" rims. Should I be able to make it from Manchester to Burlington? or will I need another stop somewhere. per google maps its 190 miles, so I'm thinking I should be ok with a 80% or 90% charge.

What's your 100% range charge? I think 190 miles may be a strech.. if there's rain, wind, or traffic, or you drive a bit fast, you could end up a little short. I'd suggest stopping at Tarrytown before crossing the TZB for 15-20 minutes for a quick top-off, then charge to 100% at Burlington, NJ.

Or just wing it, and if you are running low, stop at Cranberry Twp, on the NJTP SB.

What's your 100% range charge? I think 190 miles may be a strech.. if there's rain, wind, or traffic, or you drive a bit fast, you could end up a little short. I'd suggest stopping at Tarrytown before crossing the TZB for 15-20 minutes for a quick top-off, then charge to 100% at Burlington, NJ.

Or just wing it, and if you are running low, stop at Cranberry Twp, on the NJTP SB.
I haven't charged to 100% yet, so I'm not sure. 80% is 250 miles, I did a highway trip of around 130 miles this past weekend and basically used 130 miles of range to actually go 130 miles while cruising between 65 to 70 which is what I am planning for this trip.

I agree weather could be an unknown. I'll most likely be taking the GWB, Not a fan of the extra distance of the TZB. If the car tells me to stop earlier in NJ, it looks like there are a few different options. I'll wing it.

I haven't charged to 100% yet, so I'm not sure. 80% is 250 miles, I did a highway trip of around 130 miles this past weekend and basically used 130 miles of range to actually go 130 miles while cruising between 65 to 70 which is what I am planning for this trip.

I agree weather could be an unknown. I'll most likely be taking the GWB, Not a fan of the extra distance of the TZB. If the car tells me to stop earlier in NJ, it looks like there are a few different options. I'll wing it.
Looking at the supercharger map again, Another option would be to stop at the new Milford supercharger which would get me a bit closer.
When I use all of the automatic routing tools they all recommend stopping in Greenwich on the Merritt Parkway, but I have read lots of comments about that location being trouble so I'm trying to avoid it if possible.

If 80% is 250 miles, then 90% is somewhere around 280 miles. That's way more than enough to go 200 miles between Manchester to Burlington. I didn't realize the Model 3 had such range, I'm used to my P85D with about 245 miles at 100%.

I've done many summer road trips over the last few years, and my default mental calculation when supercharging is to charge at a minimum 25% over the actual mileage to the next stop. I've never had a problem using this method (although winter driving is different). At 200 miles, using my rule, I'd charge to at least 250 miles. On my road trips, if it was raining or I'd be expecting rain or increasing elevations, I'd increase that to 30% to 35%. But driving from Manchester to Burlington in the summer, I think you'll do absolutely fine charging to 90%.

I just drove to FL from CT a week ago. Newark DE was my first charge, then Lewes (you can skip that), Salisbury, Norfolk, Plymouth...

Is that they way you go - down the peninsula? It was a nice drive.[/QUOTE]

Traveling south we will stay on 95 for a stay-over in DC (with a destination charger), spend all day there Saturday, and then head to OBX via Richmond and Norfolk late in the day so that we cross the bridge after 8pm and avoid traffic on the causeway and up the island. Coming home we are planning to head up the Delmarva peninsula and stay at a Courtyard outside Philly that has a destination charger.

Going south, the problem with the GWB is 95S and the Cross-Bronx Expressway leading up to the bridge.

I've been driving between Boston and Phila and CT and Phila for the last 25 years (my parents live near Phila). Except during rush hour, I most always take the GWB to the NJTP, but an alternate route that rarely has any traffic (see map below).

I think this is a route Waze sent us one year (driving ICE) and it was smooth. Thanks, will jot it down, though, so the navigator has it as an option. As a matter of fact I have been checking what route Waze suggests some mornings this week and that again showed up, although today it sent us over TZB.

Looks like V3 upgrade underway Darien North. Not sure if anything is going on at Darien South - will stop by the next time I am there.

2019-09-06 09.17.44.jpg
2019-09-06 09.17.13.jpg

Two cabinets, so would that mean 8 stalls? Will be interesting to see if they remove the others.

These are nicely located AWAY from the building.

Another V3 well along in construction at the Madison rest area.
No supercharger cabinets seen in the pictures yet, so there's no way to know for sure exactly what's going in or how many stalls.