Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Concord, CA (LIVE 2 Mar 2018, 19 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Drove by this morning. I had wondered months ago why they put the concrete footers in before running the electrical trenches. Now, they are trenching and putting in the electrical lines as you can see in the photos. Since the mall construction folks are using this area as their "yard", even if they finish the chargers soon they aren't going to be able to let any vehicles back here until they move their various construction trailers, lifts, and all the materials they are storing. So probably not until the last parts of the mall are done with construction.
MVIMG_20171202_093709.jpg
MVIMG_20171202_093731.jpg

I went by on thursday and this is what i found. Looks to me like things should be ready very soon. Couple weeks imo

Great first post, thanks for the update!

You should be aware that sometimes a Supercharger site can languish in an "almost done" state while they wait for permitting, utility hookup, or some other such thing outside Tesla's control. At this site (which I admit I haven't visited in person) the other construction activity might block access to the Superchargers.

Bruce.

Reactions: Blu Zap
Great first post, thanks for the update!
Agreed! Thanks for the recon! As Bruce pointed out (based on experience), a site can sit inactive for quite a while even after it appears finished. Some of the early photos suggest that the charging equipment will be down at the freeway end of the row of charging bollards. Are the superchargers (10 upright white cabinets with ventilation hoods on the back) and the power distribution centers (taller grey or white cabinets) installed yet? They'll be on a concrete pad, which might be enclosed. There is a big green utility transformer down there, as well, but from the photos, I can't be sure if it's new or old, or whether it's meant for the superchargers or for the other new construction. Even once all the hardware is in place and connected, though, I agree that we might need to wait until the site is no longer in use as a yard for the other construction.

Thanks! I agree, far from complete, unless you saw an installation at the other end. If not, maybe the supercharger crates are back in one of those storage containers. My long-distance musing really aren't much use, so I really appreciate all the local monitoring! As a north-south traveler, I'm looking forward to this addition to the network.

Drove by this morning. I had wondered months ago why they put the concrete footers in before running the electrical trenches. Now, they are trenching and putting in the electrical lines as you can see in the photos. Since the mall construction folks are using this area as their "yard", even if they finish the chargers soon they aren't going to be able to let any vehicles back here until they move their various construction trailers, lifts, and all the materials they are storing. So probably not until the last parts of the mall are done with construction.View attachment 264168 View attachment 264169
Purple is the pipe color for partially treated sewer water used for irrigation, and those cables by the purple pipe are possibly irrigation valve control cables, and that pipe is insufficient for SuperCharger conduit sizes. I.e., this is landscaping irrigation.

I think it's likely the SuperChargers' conduit to the pedestals is already installed. Also, there's a transformer right there; is that for the SuperChargers? Are the cabinets installed? This SuperCharger may already be construction finished, but something else is being waited on.

Since I don't see the cabinets anywhere, perhaps all the existing cabinet deliveries are inside the storage container waiting for installation, and this SuperCharger still needs the ground space made available for the cabinetry. That might be placed over the landscaping plumbing pictured above. Also, I wonder if they are able to use the trench for the pedestal conduit, if it hasn't yet been installed unlike my above consideration?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Blu Zap
It's great that they appear to be making progress, but most of the pictures posted so far just show the pedestals. There's way more to a Supercharger installation than that...there's also a utility transformer (maybe in the picture in post #70?) and the charger cabinets (haven't seen a picture of those yet).

Also IMHO the shopping center / contractors don't have any incentive to clear a path to the Superchargers while there's still construction going on in the vicinity, and I'm not sure I'd want to drive through a construction zone with my Tesla just to be able to say "first charge!" (This last point is why I haven't been to go check it out myself BTW!)

Just don't want people to expect it to open "real soon now" and then be disappointed if and when it doesn't happen. It opens when it opens. :)

Bruce.

I stopped by today. The distribution centers, batteries, and supercharger cabinets are across the "street" from the superchargers next to the theater. There is a huge transformer next to the pedestals, but if that is for the superchargers the power will have to go from the transformer across the street to the cabinets and then back across to the pedestals. Although much of the shopping center is open now, the section where the superchargers are is off limits because of ongoing construction, so the superchargers won't be able to open until the shopping center construction is all done.
20171218_133231.jpg 20171218_133325.jpg 20171218_133417.jpg