Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Charleston, SC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don’t forget that at worst you can range charge at Santee and plug into 110V at your destination (100/24 hrs.). That should get you back to Santee (~67 miles).

Yes, in fact that has been our new charging routine; stop at Santee, get a full charge and continue to the coast. If we don't do a lot of driving in the Charleston area we should have enough to get back to Santee. If we find that we are close to running out of range, we stop at the Springhill suites on I-26 and add a little "booster".

That being said, Charleston area is very popular destination and even though getting from place to place doesn't look far on the map, some destinations are not easy to get to in low country, i.e. in many places there isn't a direct route. Tesla need sto make some progress on a Charleston area supercharger.

Reactions: Kacey Green
Yes, in fact that has been our new charging routine; stop at Santee, get a full charge and continue to the coast. If we don't do a lot of driving in the Charleston area we should have enough to get back to Santee. If we find that we are close to running out of range, we stop at the Springhill suites on I-26 and add a little "booster".

That being said, Charleston area is very popular destination and even though getting from place to place doesn't look far on the map, some destinations are not easy to get to in low country, i.e. in many places there isn't a direct route. Tesla need sto make some progress on a Charleston area supercharger.

Fully agree. Tesla must be having problems getting site approval. I would think Charleston would be a prime location for resident owners and for visitors. There are plenty of potential locations 5-10 miles north of the Battery, e.g., Tanger or the airport, the SPC doesn’t have to be in the downtown area.

Fully agree. Tesla must be having problems getting site approval. I would think Charleston would be a prime location for resident owners and for visitors. There are plenty of potential locations 5-10 miles north of the Battery, e.g., Tanger or the airport, the SPC doesn’t have to be in the downtown area.

I don't think it's an issue of getting approval. As you said, there are plenty of good locations (and plenty of free, cheap land).

I think the issue is that Tesla is just working on other areas around the US (and the globe) and Charleston is "sufficiently" covered because we are covered by Santee/Myrtle Beach/Savannah. You and I know one is needed here, but Tesla probably sees it as a low need.

Yup! Are you in SC?

Yes. I'm on DI. The best places to charge are the Mt Pleasant Town Center mall and Pflug Law firm. There really should be a supercharger here but I'm guessing whoever is in charge of that within Tesla doesn't see us as high priority. If anyone knows who that is, please post! I have asked many service center phone representatives, but no one knows.

This afternoon I did a follow-up on the Tesla charging station telephone number I posted...it turns out that this is a direct line to technical support for Tesla HOME charger installation. He could not give me a telephone number for anyone connected with the Supercharger team, but there is an email address: [email protected]

So who's going to be brave and email them? :)

I did email them. It just bounces back as undeliverable. Oh well.

So... Last year it said targeting by end of 2017. 2017 finished and no Supercharger.

They changed it to "Target opening in 2018" which it still says now. Will they deliver? Losing hope :(

Reactions: GaryW
I tweeted Elon Musk :) on Nov 19th. No response :(

Attachments

• 8F453257-8C6F-4661-9C88-3BA285EC4A31.jpeg
    8F453257-8C6F-4661-9C88-3BA285EC4A31.jpeg
    529.9 KB · Views: 80
Granted my route is probably rare, but I’m driving from south of Myrtle Beach to Charleston Airport to Beaufort on Monday, and would love to have a Supercharger available near CHS airport. I can make the whole trip with conservative driving, but have to carefully plan exit with a full range charge and monitor consumption (~165 actual miles). Not worth it to go back 30 miles to the MB Supercharger, or swing out to Santee.

Granted my route is probably rare, but I’m driving from south of Myrtle Beach to Charleston Airport to Beaufort on Monday, and would love to have a Supercharger available near CHS airport. I can make the whole trip with conservative driving, but have to carefully plan exit with a full range charge and monitor consumption (~165 actual miles). Not worth it to go back 30 miles to the MB Supercharger, or swing out to Santee.
We do have three CHAdeMO chargers in the area which help. A few members of the Charleston Owners Club have adapters depending on your schedule.

We do have three CHAdeMO chargers in the area which help. A few members of the Charleston Owners Club have adapters depending on your schedule.

Well, thanks very much, Kacey. I do not have a Chademo myself, and so don’t think of that option too often. I hate to put anyone to the trouble to meet me as my intention is to stop only at CHS for an hour and a half to pick up two friends, and it shouldn’t be hard to make the full trip if weather doesn’t drive up energy consumption. I might go early and kill some time at Tanger and pick up 35 miles during lunch and shopping.

Well, thanks very much, Kacey. I do not have a Chademo myself, and so don’t think of that option too often. I hate to put anyone to the trouble to meet me as my intention is to stop only at CHS for an hour and a half to pick up two friends, and it shouldn’t be hard to make the full trip if weather doesn’t drive up energy consumption. I might go early and kill some time at Tanger and pick up 35 miles during lunch and shopping.

The Town Centre Belk Mall parking garage (near Regal Theater and Barnes & Noble) also has free Tesla chargers. Here is a picture: Town Centre Belk Mall Parking Garage Tesla Chargers

Vux007 — That’s exactly on my route, thanks!!

Happy to help!! Benefitfocus also has free chargers on Daniel Island. Belk Mall in Mt Pleasant is slightly faster (and there's more to do there of course since it is a mall), but just in case anyone needs this info in the future, those are the two charger locations I use.

Ironically, I spoke to the owner of the Refuel Market on Daniel Island and Tesla contacted him about putting a Supercharger there! Unfortunately, there wasn't enough space so the owner said no.

I wonder if the delay with a Charleston Supercharger is that Tesla doesn't have a spot to put it yet, and no one will say yes?

Vux007 — That’s exactly on my route, thanks!!
These are currently misconfigured they can give up to 80 amps but think they're all sharing 40 amps, so if someone parks next to you it drops to 20, then 13. Once someone gets permission to correct the setting or their installer fixes it it will have 100 amps to share with all four bays (one is handicapped)

These are currently misconfigured they can give up to 80 amps but think they're all sharing 40 amps, so if someone parks next to you it drops to 20, then 13. Once someone gets permission to correct the setting or their installer fixes it it will have 100 amps to share with all four bays (one is handicapped)

How do you know this?

And who would you suggest I contact to get this fixed?

How do you know this?

And who would you suggest I contact to get this fixed?
I know this from testing it, comparing it to the schematic from the installation and it has been verified by both a mobile service tech and mobile service manager. The manager had my logs pulled from my charge sessions, the tech looked at the dial on the units.

The Charleston Owners Club meets regularly and we're constantly exchanging info. Including things like these.

I know this from testing it, comparing it to the schematic from the installation and it has been verified by both a mobile service tech and mobile service manager. The manager had my logs pulled from my charge sessions, the tech looked at the dial on the units.

The Charleston Owners Club meets regularly and we're constantly exchanging info. Including things like these.

Thank you! How do we get it fixed?