Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Charleston, SC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drove by this location again a few days ago:

Google Maps

TBH, it now looks even more like Tesla's design and the parking lot has been cleared out quite a bit. I could easily see the superchargers going in here. I know that people want them on I-26, but Tesla has been ignoring that route for a long time. I'd be shocked if they suddenly changed that now, and the service center makes the most sense in Mt Pleasant.

Personally, I'd love to see superchargers in Orangeburg and Clinton, or at least around Columbiana Centre. It would help a lot for traffic to and from Charleston.

Just drove my Chevy Bolt (Yeah, I know... gasp...) to Tanger outlets in N Charleston and used the free chargepoints located there. Tanger would certainly be a great location. Exit 199 at Summerville would also be a great location for people coming in to the charleston metro area. Years ago my wife spotted a MS driving 45mph on I-95 between I-26 and Santee supercharger obviously trying to nurse it to the Santee supercharger. Sure will be nice when Charleston gets a supercharger.

FWIW, we just bought a used model S and will get it next monday. wooo!!!

Congrats on your new S! I agree Tanger is an obvious location.

I drove by this location again a few days ago:

Google Maps

TBH, it now looks even more like Tesla's design and the parking lot has been cleared out quite a bit. I could easily see the superchargers going in here. I know that people want them on I-26, but Tesla has been ignoring that route for a long time. I'd be shocked if they suddenly changed that now, and the service center makes the most sense in Mt Pleasant.

What makes you think that is a SC location? Just curious... is there a sign saying such, or did you find a building permit?

What makes you think that is a SC location? Just curious... is there a sign saying such, or did you find a building permit?

The garage doors on the building looked like the style that Tesla uses. Now, they've added trim and overhangs at the windows and doors that are (perhaps coincidentally) Tesla red. When I first saw the location, it seemed like it would be far too small for superchargers, but that would be really strange for a service center.

Now, they've cleared out enough land to where they could potentially put 6 or so (just guessing). It doesn't mean that they will be there, but it seems increasingly likely.

Also, they were working on the site when I drove by. I can't imagine that it would be more than few months away from completion, whatever it turns out to be.

Just drove my Chevy Bolt (Yeah, I know... gasp...) to Tanger outlets in N Charleston and used the free chargepoints located there. Tanger would certainly be a great location. Exit 199 at Summerville would also be a great location for people coming in to the charleston metro area. Years ago my wife spotted a MS driving 45mph on I-95 between I-26 and Santee supercharger obviously trying to nurse it to the Santee supercharger. Sure will be nice when Charleston gets a supercharger.

FWIW, we just bought a used model S and will get it next monday. wooo!!!

How fast do those chargers at Tanger charge? Congrats on the M S and enjoy!

The garage doors on the building looked like the style that Tesla uses. Now, they've added trim and overhangs at the windows and doors that are (perhaps coincidentally) Tesla red. When I first saw the location, it seemed like it would be far too small for superchargers, but that would be really strange for a service center.

Now, they've cleared out enough land to where they could potentially put 6 or so (just guessing). It doesn't mean that they will be there, but it seems increasingly likely.

Also, they were working on the site when I drove by. I can't imagine that it would be more than few months away from completion, whatever it turns out to be.

Nah, it's going to be a fire station. I walked by. It's too small. Also, there's a pole inside. Also, it is illegal for Tesla to build a service center in SC apparently, according to: Tesla US dealership disputes - Wikipedia

Nah, it's going to be a fire station. I walked by. It's too small. Also, there's a pole inside. Also, it is illegal for Tesla to build a service center in SC apparently, according to: Tesla US dealership disputes - Wikipedia

Well, that takes South Carolina off the list of places to which to return during this year's roadtrippery.

My criteria for states to visit are simple and include:

1. Must have at least one SC (this is now pretty much a given, notable exceptions notwithstanding).

2. Must not make Tesla purchase or servicing difficult.

3. Must not be half underwater or otherwise impacted by natural disaster at the time. This one is wishful thinking - I haven't done the Northwest when it hasn't been smoky in years. Last year, the smoke started in NorCal and didn't quit through 5 states and 2 provinces.

Ok, thanks. Its sad news, but I'm glad to know for sure anyway. I hadn't realized that we also don't allow the service centers. That is some pretty horrible regulation. :(

It is my opinion that the Charleston SuperCharger is going to be in the city parking deck near the interestion of Broad & Meeting. (The red brick building in the top of the picture.) That deck has 4 or 6 charging stations but when I was there several months ago, none of them worked. And I am guessing this because on Tesla’s latest SuperCharger map, the Charleston pin is dropped at that intersection. Any way to find out for sure?

Attachments

• D1499D10-8726-485C-AA7F-DC5D47C23F10.jpeg
    D1499D10-8726-485C-AA7F-DC5D47C23F10.jpeg
    271.3 KB · Views: 69
I think the spot they pin the proposed super chargers on the map is the center of whatever city. Zoom around Atlanta outskirts for example. I’m hoping the Charleston super charger is around Tanger outlets in North Charleston.

That would be OK too. I just want it to be done soon. I have a son who will be a junior at the College of Charleston this coming school year. For the past two years, it has been kind of a pain in the ass charge my MS in Charleston and as we know, a SuperCharger was promised by the end of 2017.

Reactions: Drucifer and ai4px
That would be OK too. I just want it to be done soon. I have a son who will be a junior at the College of Charleston this coming school year. For the past two years, it has been kind of a pain in the ass charge my MS in Charleston and as we know, a SuperCharger was promised by the end of 2017.
I have a rising high school senior this year who will likely to to CoC... So I'm looking forward to it too!!!

Same here! I was expecting it to be done by end of 2017!

I also don't think it will be where the pin currently is. I think that is just the default location that Google Maps says is the "center" of "Charleston". I'm hoping Tanger as well, or the 17 in Mt Pleasant.

any movement on this? Going to Seabrook Island this weekend and driving my beater volvo wagon because the lack of quick charging :(
From what direction are you coming from? There are Superchargers in Myrtle Beach, Savannah, and Columbia. There are also Tesla high power chargers at the Belk Mall in Mt Pleasant as well as Pflug Law firm.