Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Auburn MA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well well well. New site status reporting 16 stalls and up to 250kW suggestion we might finally be in the home stretch on this expansion. And yes, it’s reported as closed for the moment.

Where do you see that it is reported closed? My daughter went there yesterday with 20 mi left only to discover they weren't working yet! I didn't see a way to know this. THX

It shows in the car's navigation as closed (grey circle with a line through it). It also shows as closed in the Tesla mobile app if you tap on Location, and then towards the bottom Charging. You can move the map around until Auburn is on the map, and it should show current status.

Added note: it's always a good idea to navigate to a supercharger (vs. just drive there). Doing so will alert you to a site closure (or being full), but just as importantly, it will cause the car to start pre-conditioning the battery to optimize it's temperature for supercharging which could reduce the time needed to charge the car. That's only really beneficial if coming from a little or long ways away though - it does take a little time to warm the battery.

Last edited:
Reactions: kayak1
This site transitioned from temporary closure to open with 8/16 stalls available between 8am and 9am this morning, 3/5/24. Presumably Tesla is onsite working on things now. (supercharge.info lists the site as temporary closure due to the ongoing work there - that will change once the site is confirmed up and appears stable).
IMG_4910.jpeg

It shows in the car's navigation as closed (grey circle with a line through it). It also shows as closed in the Tesla mobile app if you tap on Location, and then towards the bottom Charging. You can move the map around until Auburn is on the map, and it should show current status.

Added note: it's always a good idea to navigate to a supercharger (vs. just drive there). Doing so will alert you to a site closure (or being full), but just as importantly, it will cause the car to start pre-conditioning the battery to optimize it's temperature for supercharging which could reduce the time needed to charge the car. That's only really beneficial if coming from a little or long ways away though - it does take a little time to warm the battery.

There is one time when you don't want to precondition. It's when you're low on charge, and need to squeeze the battery to get to the SC. Preconditioning takes a non-trivial amount of energy - in my M3, it bumps consumption from ~250 Wh/mile to ~330. Its better to navigate to a spot beside the SC without preconditioning, and, if you have the juice, switch to navigation to the SC 15 minutes before you get there.

I still have to confirm it, but it looks like precondtioning starts as soon as you start navigating to the SC, even if it's over an hour away.

There is one time when you don't want to precondition. It's when you're low on charge, and need to squeeze the battery to get to the SC. Preconditioning takes a non-trivial amount of energy - in my M3, it bumps consumption from ~250 Wh/mile to ~330. Its better to navigate to a spot beside the SC without preconditioning, and, if you have the juice, switch to navigation to the SC 15 minutes before you get there.

I still have to confirm it, but it looks like precondtioning starts as soon as you start navigating to the SC, even if it's over an hour away.
I monitored battery and stator temps on my Y with SMT while navigating to a SC over an hour away. Even though the preconditioning message came and went at the start of the trip, temps didn't rise much until I was 15-20 min out, then temps went very high, very fast. I'll try to get more useful numbers (temps/time) on another trip.

• Helpful
Reactions: Farmer and Tdreamer
I monitored battery and stator temps on my Y with SMT while navigating to a SC over an hour away. Even though the preconditioning message came and went at the start of the trip, temps didn't rise much until I was 15-20 min out, then temps went very high, very fast. I'll try to get more useful numbers (temps/time) on another trip.

Interesting. I don't have the monitoring you have, but last night I found the message came on when I navigated to SCs more than 30 miles away.

Last Sunday, I was noticing the high power consumption quite a bit further away, but I need to characterize it better. Probably the 'Power' chart will
give some insight into instantaneous consumption.

Still, my point remains. If you're squeezing the battery to get to an SC, letting preconditioning come on is a bad idea.

Still, my point remains. If you're squeezing the battery to get to an SC, letting preconditioning come on is a bad idea.
I agree - my quick test seems to indicate most of the heating happens in the last 15 minutes or so. It's definitely not heating the battery to >100F and holding it there for a long time. Waiting until you are closer and are confident you can make it shouldn't impact your charge speeds much.

Reactions: MattM24