Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Asheville, NC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From Santee, SC it will be 208 miles to the Asheville SC. I'll need to get to max charge in Santee, which is only about 80 miles from my home in Charleston. Hmm, do I not bother filling up for the drive knowing I have to get full charge at Santee, or am I better off only needing about 100 miles at the Santee SC? Any advice for the techno-challenged Tesla enthusiast? I know you charge faster at the SC when you are not fully charged, but I believe the last 50 miles is painfully slow either way. Thoughts? This is a Good Problem :smile:.

Your example shows why Columbia, SC is needed.

From Santee, SC it will be 208 miles to the Asheville SC. I'll need to get to max charge in Santee, which is only about 80 miles from my home in Charleston. Hmm, do I not bother filling up for the drive knowing I have to get full charge at Santee, or am I better off only needing about 100 miles at the Santee SC? Any advice for the techno-challenged Tesla enthusiast? I know you charge faster at the SC when you are not fully charged, but I believe the last 50 miles is painfully slow either way. Thoughts? This is a Good Problem :smile:.

If you leave home fully charged, you'll need less time in Santee to get to a full charge.

If you leave home fully charged, you'll need less time in Santee to get to a full charge.

But the difference will be neglible. I stopped at the Charlotte SpC on Saturday with around a 50% charge and still got 300 mph charging. The time to charge at home so I arrive at 70% wasn't all that different. I just planned on lunch while chatting with a friend who came and chatted with me at the SpC and, as usual, the car was ready for I was.

Similar issue coming from the Raleigh area. Burlington is only 46 miles away, yet it's a required stop to get to Asheville. What I usually do is range charge and head to Burlington just to top off. It's painfully slow no matter what, but the more you have when you get there, the less time you will spend regardless. There's not a whole lot to do in Santee either. At least Burlington has stuff to do while you wait.

Similar issue coming from the Raleigh area. Burlington is only 46 miles away, yet it's a required stop to get to Asheville. What I usually do is range charge and head to Burlington just to top off. It's painfully slow no matter what, but the more you have when you get there, the less time you will spend regardless. There's not a whole lot to do in Santee either. At least Burlington has stuff to do while you wait.

Which is why we should have a Hickory NC, supercharger. That, and I would like it for ski trips / going to Boone/Blowing Rock/Banner Elk.

I've done Santee<->Hickory a few times without issue. Asheville is almost the same distance on a direct route. I doubt it'd be an issue in decent weather with a 100% charge in Santee.

Santee->Hickory->Asheville would be an 80 mile detour, give or take. Columbia is only ~40 miles from Santee and doesn't make much sense to have something so close for this particular route, unless you skipped Santee from wherever the origin of the trip is.

Charlotte to Asheville is easily doable, but again is a detour from Santee.

I'll note again that I have two 80A HPWC in my garage in Hickory if anyone needs a boost... soon to be 100% off-grid solar powered too. :D

What!?:confused: You do not regard Clark's as a Destination in and of itself? Oops, neither do I. I have met a couple of interesting Tesla owners there.

Looks like there are some outstanding issues on the permit. As far as I can tell, it looks like maybe Tesla has not selected the contractor to actually do the work yet?

The record was LOCKED on 08/20/2015.
Condition: RECORD ON HOLDSeverity: Lock
Total Conditions: 5 (Lock: 1, Required: 4)

section_header_expanded.gif
Conditions

Showing 1-5 of 5
Default - 5 Applied

PAC

RECORD ON HOLD
OUTSTANDING ITEMS TO BE ADDRESSED AS FOLLOWS:ARCHITECT ONLY SUBMITTED SITE PLANS, WILL RELEASE HOLD ON RECORD WHEN BUILDING PLANS ARE SUBMITTED, NO SITE REVIEW REQUIRED PER CHRIS COLLINS. ADC.
Applied | Lock | 08/20/2015

General Contractor Information
General Contractor
Applied | Required | 08/19/2015

General Contractor Signature
Authorized Constractor's Signature

Lien Agent Designation Form
G.S. 160A-417(d) (Effective April 1, 2013) No permit shall be issued pursuant to subdivision (1) of subsection (a) of this section where the cost of the work is thirty thousand dollars ($30,000) or more, other than for improvements to an existing single-family residential dwelling unit as defined in G.S. 87-15.5(7) that the applicant uses as a residence, unless the name, physical and mailing address, telephone number, facsimile number, and electronic mail address of the lien agent designated by the owner pursuant to G.S. 44A-11.1(a) is conspicuously set forth in the permit or in an attachment thereto. The building permit may contain the lien agent's electronic mail address. The lien agent information for each permit issued pursuant to this subsection shall be maintained by the inspection department in the same manner and in the same location in which it maintains its record of building permits issued.

Sub-Contractor Information Required
NEED SUB-CONTRACTOR INFORMATION INCLUDING STATE LICENSE NUMBER

Took a drive through the Asheville Outlets parking lot yesterday and I don't see any signs of the supercharger yet. There is a bunch of construction on the south side of the mall, but that appears to be related to the construction on one of the anchor stores on that end of the mall. There were way too many containers and they had quite a large area fenced off. Guess this makes sense because the permit doesn't appear to be fully approved yet.

If if anyone needs a quick charge in Asheville, I was able to use the CHAdeMo in downtown on Charlotte street under the solar canopy. I tried using the one on Biltmore Ave in the parking garage but it kept failing (error 6). Was on the phone with greenlots for a while and eventually decided to try the other one on Charlotte St which worked perfectly.

Also, the Papas & Beer Mexican restaurant in the strip mall right next to the outlets has great Margaritas and food. :)

Took a drive through the Asheville Outlets parking lot yesterday and I don't see any signs of the supercharger yet. There is a bunch of construction on the south side of the mall, but that appears to be related to the construction on one of the anchor stores on that end of the mall. There were way too many containers and they had quite a large area fenced off. Guess this makes sense because the permit doesn't appear to be fully approved yet.

If if anyone needs a quick charge in Asheville, I was able to use the CHAdeMo in downtown on Charlotte street under the solar canopy. I tried using the one on Biltmore Ave in the parking garage but it kept failing (error 6). Was on the phone with greenlots for a while and eventually decided to try the other one on Charlotte St which worked perfectly.

Also, the Papas & Beer Mexican restaurant in the strip mall right next to the outlets has great Margaritas and food. :)

Thanks for keeping us updated on the progress. I am making a trip to Asheville in the end of Oct and really hoping I don't have to buy a CHAdeMo adapter!

All the J1772's I've used in Asheville are free. Some are in parking garages that charge $1/hr to park. Note that the one in the HHS parking lot is no longer there because they are building s parking deck. Also, the one at the chamber of commerce is only 16A and sometimes has issues unless you manually reduce to 15A. The college street garage is my favorite now that the HHS one is no longer there.

Thr CHAdeMO stations are paid and are Greenlots.

I'm interested to know more about your drive from the RTP area to Asheville. You mentioned upthread about having to stop in Burlington. Is that required? Have you ever done it direct, and how did that turn out?
Thanks!!

Yeah, you definitely have to stop in Burlington - at least for the places I've stayed which are either a little west or a little north of Asheville. The drive increases in elevation significantly and sucks a lot of miles as a result. Once I stayed at a house about 30 miles north of Asheville and got to the house with 4 miles of range left. The crazy part is I got to the beginning of the driveway with 9 miles left and lost 5 miles going up the very steep 1/4 mile driveway. I would definitely not make the trip without getting to at least 250 miles of rated range in Burlington.

This is why we need another supercharger around Hickory. Then you could drive there and charge for a few minutes before heading to Asheville instead of having to wait for slow charging in Burlington.

For any Tesla owner headed out to Asheville (or anywhere for that matter) that passes by my house, you are welcome to borrow my CHAdeMO adapter. I'm right where I40 and I85 merge in Hillsborough, very close to the exit on both interstates. I'm on PlugShare under the same name (Zarwin) as well if you want to see where I am more specifically. I work from home, so I'm here pretty much all the time.