Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Ann Arbor, MI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
General question: who is responsible for bringing the transformer on site? Utility (DTE)? Or Tesla?

Every installation that I have followed or seen has had the Utility Transformer installed by the local utility. It takes special training and qualification to deal with the 7-35 kV Distribution Voltages on primary side of those transformers. Those transformers are supplied by and owned by the utility.

I live in Ann Arbor and I just ordered my Tesla today! Finding out there is a going to be a charging station where I live is too perfect, the timing is amazing! Thanks for posting all this info, it made my day better than it already was.

Congratulations on your order. Now comes the worst part: the waiting. But it's worth it in the end! Ironically, you'll probably never use the SC in Ann Arbor because it's easier to just plug in in your garage. However, travelers like me are delighted there will be a SC there. Sadly, I suspect it won't be done by the time I'm there on July 14, but it's possible. Arguably, it doesn't matter because we're staying at the Sheraton which has a HPWC. And we picked that hotel because of the charger.

As someone who was in Ann Arbor for a class back in May, and will be returning in September and November, I've been eagerly watching the construction updates on the Ann Arbor supercharger.

And, as you can see from my signature, Ann Arbor was my first major road trip in my new Tesla. The trip was a delight.

I stopped by yesterday -- it looked like they were pulling the wiring from the chargers to the pedestals.
here you go. A drive by of the install

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 726
It looks like all of the charger wands are wired up and the pedestal assembly is complete. It does not appear that there are any sort of radiators on the pedestals and the wires seem to be the normal thickness. They were still working on it at 8:30 pm -- those are some long shifts!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 626
I stopped by today -- the only thing new was that the landscaping was completed. It looks like they planted some sort of decorative grass between the pedestals and by the electrical equipment. Here are a couple of photos:
image.jpg

image.jpg

It looks like the only significant thing left is for DTE to install the transformer.

What do we think the chances are that this will be done by the 24th of July? I'm planning a road trip to Harrison MI and I'll be traveling outside of the safety of the SC network. I will be staying at a hotel in Mt. Pleasant that has a level 2 charger, but this SC would give me a little extra comfort.

What do we think the chances are that this will be done by the 24th of July? I'm planning a road trip to Harrison MI and I'll be traveling outside of the safety of the SC network. I will be staying at a hotel in Mt. Pleasant that has a level 2 charger, but this SC would give me a little extra comfort.

Hard to imagine it wouldn't be done by then, but we appear to be at the mercy of DTE.