Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger – Goodland, KS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Construction in Goodland is permitted and "underway". But it is unclear to me if this location would be operational, if none others adjacent are. Does TMC have a habit of coordinating, or does each location have it's own life? Would make sense to me to go live as they are ready, as some will plan trips with 50amps and other options...

Construction in Goodland is permitted and "underway". But it is unclear to me if this location would be operational, if none others adjacent are. Does TMC have a habit of coordinating, or does each location have it's own life? Would make sense to me to go live as they are ready, as some will plan trips with 50amps and other options...

They go as soon as they are ready, as far as I know.

In the past, Tesla has turned on Supercharger sites as soon as they are ready, without concern for connectivity. The connectivity will happen as other stations go live.

Besides, the 199 miles from Lone Tree (184 miles by back roads) is very doable in an 85. Lone Tree, CO to Goodland, KS - Google Maps = Lone Tree to Goodland is easy, the other way, uphill and against the wind, will take a little more care.

I hear that Hays is right behind Goodland. When Hays comes online, with Goodland, Kansas may become interesting to Tesla owners... Goodland, KS to Hays, KS - Google Maps

Others such as Mitchell, SD have been operational but no doubt very lonely before adjacent ones came on line.

There's a reason Orchard's friend said there wasn't any construction. If you didn't know what and where to look for, you would miss it.

The current progress is that the trenching for the utility transformer is complete. They've got the wood framing done to pour the concrete pad. That's the extent of the progress for now.

Respectfully, goes to show how inaccurate the Tesla web site supercharger map is. Goodland is not even on the "Coming Soon" display, while others that are, like Coeur D'Alene, ID, have no evidence of progress yet.

On the upside, it is interesting that they are working on this segment of I-70 now. Perhaps there is also stealth progress on other long-haul routes, like western I-90, western I-80 and I-84, etc.

Respectfully, goes to show how inaccurate the Tesla web site supercharger map is. Goodland is not even on the "Coming Soon" display, while others that are, like Coeur D'Alene, ID, have no evidence of progress yet.

On the upside, it is interesting that they are working on this segment of I-70 now. Perhaps there is also stealth progress on other long-haul routes, like western I-90, western I-80 and I-84, etc.

Yes, the Tesla Map should only be considered as a "rough idea" of the future, sometimes spot on, sometimes close, and sometimes imaginary.

We can all hope that there are some other long haul routes in progress, and we will be pleasantly surprised. I think that the Truckee (I-80) and Petaluma (US-101) rumors may be some hints towards what's ahead...

While Goodland (and Salina) never showed up on the Supercharger map in the web, they did appear on the status board in ?Hawthorne? as Coming Soon for a few days.

There wasn't any sign of Tesla's Supercharger hardware at the site on Friday or Wednesday (May 9 and May 14) when I drove by. The only reason I found the site was the detailed pictures back in post #6 in this thread. The picture below is of the Supercharger site as of May 14 and is taken from the "probable equipment area" in Cottonwood's post. This photo was taken on the North side of the Holiday Inn and looking towards the East. You can see the conduit sticking out of the ground and the disturbed dirt from the trench to the high-voltage lines in the background. It sort of looked like a sandbox, so would have been easy to miss.

IMG_0737.jpg

I did also drive around in Salina, Hays, and Limon, CO near their respective exits on I-70, but didn't find any signs of construction. I spent 15-30 minutes driving around each of these cities. If the other cities aren't any further along than Goodland, it would be difficult to spot the location without knowing exactly where to look. At first, I was wondering if there was any actual progress in Goodland when I pulled up.

Thanks for the recon. Goodland is out there. :wink:

Sure looks like a form for the concrete base for the transformer. The conduit for the medium Voltage into the transformer seems to be there, but the 4 conduits out for the 3-phase, 480-Volt outputs to the Distribution Center still need to appear. At least. the electrical access easement seems to be solved. I wonder when the 21-day timer starts for install? This site is pretty close to the center of North America; maybe this will be the 100th North American Supercharger coming in June!

I will try to get out there in a week or two to check on progress...

While Goodland (and Salina) never showed up on the Supercharger map in the web, they did appear on the status board in ?Hawthorne? as Coming Soon for a few days.

There wasn't any sign of Tesla's Supercharger hardware at the site on Friday or Wednesday (May 9 and May 14) when I drove by. The only reason I found the site was the detailed pictures back in post #6 in this thread. The picture below is of the Supercharger site as of May 14 and is taken from the "probable equipment area" in Cottonwood's post. This photo was taken on the North side of the Holiday Inn and looking towards the East. You can see the conduit sticking out of the ground and the disturbed dirt from the trench to the high-voltage lines in the background. It sort of looked like a sandbox, so would have been easy to miss.

View attachment 49313

I did also drive around in Salina, Hays, and Limon, CO near their respective exits on I-70, but didn't find any signs of construction. I spent 15-30 minutes driving around each of these cities. If the other cities aren't any further along than Goodland, it would be difficult to spot the location without knowing exactly where to look. At first, I was wondering if there was any actual progress in Goodland when I pulled up.

The contractor in Ritzville, WA told a TMC scout that they will be going to Limon, CO next, so there may be construction there in a couple weeks. There is a Holiday Inn Express in Limon, so that might be the first location to check out.