Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sudden stop with warning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Vitaman

Supporting Member
Aug 9, 2014
Decatur, GA
My 2022 Plaid X suddenly stopped moving.
Have driven it 11K miles. Received a warning that I had never seen before ....something about pull over your car as it is about to stop.
Have driven Model S and X exclusively since early 2014 and had never seen this warning. Assumed it was a tire problem that the car detected......but no.
Managed to pull over in traffic just in time before the car literally would not move an inch.
Any ideas as to what is going on?
After calling Tesla for advice, I managed to limp to a Service Center where the car has sat for a few days waiting to get looked at.
Taking Uber rides is getting old. Keep wondering if I had just waited a few minutes and did a scroll wheel reset if the problem would have disappeared.
Anyone else had this happen to them?

My 2022 Plaid X suddenly stopped moving.
Have driven it 11K miles. Received a warning that I had never seen before ....something about pull over your car as it is about to stop.
Have driven Model S and X exclusively since early 2014 and had never seen this warning. Assumed it was a tire problem that the car detected......but no.
Managed to pull over in traffic just in time before the car literally would not move an inch.
Any ideas as to what is going on?
After calling Tesla for advice, I managed to limp to a Service Center where the car has sat for a few days waiting to get looked at.
Taking Uber rides is getting old. Keep wondering if I had just waited a few minutes and did a scroll wheel reset if the problem would have disappeared.
Anyone else had this happen to them?
Unless you have the error code no one can really tell you.

Same thing happened to me with my S a few years back — had to limp off the freeway and drive to a service center. Turned out a faulty temperature sensor in one of the drive units was indicating an overheating unit.
Figured it was something simple like that.
The electronics are so intricate now that just knowing that I was able to drive a few miles after not being able to drive at all told them nothing.
The annoying part is that after 4 days they still have not even looked at it.

The Service Center in their infinite wisdom pointed to the Power Frunk (installed 19 months ago with zero issues) as the culprit and refused to fix it.
So I had to have the frunk disconnected and now the next time I am stranded on the side of the road, hope they don't claim it was permanently damaged by the Frunk. They are laying the foundation for a legacy car maker with solid service to start plucking off customers. Really dumb policy.

Yeah they aren't allowed to do that unless the aftermarket part truly caused the problem. I would go back to them and state under law they can't discard warranty work if the part in question wasn't responsible. If they say it is ask them how it is and to document it.

• Love
Reactions: TOBASH
The Service Center in their infinite wisdom pointed to the Power Frunk (installed 19 months ago with zero issues) as the culprit and refused to fix it.
So I had to have the frunk disconnected and now the next time I am stranded on the side of the road, hope they don't claim it was permanently damaged by the Frunk. They are laying the foundation for a legacy car maker with solid service to start plucking off customers. Really dumb policy.
Wow! I was literally considering the power frunk… not now!