Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That sucks, Droschke. I think I am around 245 miles now. It was 254 when the proverbial 💩hit the fan.
My experience has been similar. 256 rated range around April 2019 with 70K miles on the clock; 236 rated range around September 2019. It's now about 242 but won't charge above 98%. The proposed settlement fund divided by $625 implies there are 2,400 affect Model S owners out there. I can't be help feel like there are plenty more than 2,400 affect owner/leasees.

The voltage limitation does not correlate to the limitation of capacity.

Cell string at zero is 3V. Cell string at 100% is about 4.2V.

A 10% reduction in string voltage would be about 3.8V. that would equate to a capacity reduction of approx 30%.

I do believe some card have had capacity restored with new updates and many charges over time. In my case the improvement is very small, so I can't say for sure.

I also believe some cars do not have their capacity restored. In this case, SMT should show the string voltage to be well under 4.2V, and I think Tesla owes those cars a new pack.
The MaxV was reduced to 4.07V in May 2019 then raised to 4.10V in Sept 2019.

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke
Pool the settlements. hire an AMAZING Lawyer, then sue for the supercharger capping.
My legal team investigated the slowed Supercharging rate.
1) it couldn't be included in this suit because it didn't happen until AFTER we filed suit.
2) there is no documented rate of charge. Even the advertising said "up to" (or some legal loophole like that).
3) there is no reasonable measurement for the loss incurred by slower charging. The court requires this. To some the extra time is enough that they won't drive the car. For others, they just have desert while eating dinner.
4) this case took over 2 years and the effects were well documented (with SMT data). It would be very difficult to find any legal team that would take this on.

My legal team investigated the slowed Supercharging rate.
1) it couldn't be included in this suit because it didn't happen until AFTER we filed suit.
2) there is no documented rate of charge. Even the advertising said "up to" (or some legal loophole like that).
3) there is no reasonable measurement for the loss incurred by slower charging. The court requires this. To some the extra time is enough that they won't drive the car. For others, they just have desert while eating dinner.
4) this case took over 2 years and the effects were well documented (with SMT data). It would be very difficult to find any legal team that would take this on.

Thanks for all your work on this. The slow charging is the one thing I wish could be fixed.

• Love
Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
I received my settlement notice in the mail yesterday.
Believe me, I wish it was more. But it is the best we could do. Tesla (well at least Elon) admitted they did us wrong and they restored our capacity.
20220331_155651.jpg

Not so fast... The lawyers are taking ~25%, $410k, of the settlement funds off the top: https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.cand.345967/gov.uscourts.cand.345967.56.0.pdf
You're right. $373K in plaintiff attorney fees, $36K for reimbursed legal costs, $1K service award to Rasmussen, then the remainder ~$625 per 1,743 Model S owners. Still seems like the figure is understated. I'm not sure if I'm in the group. I can definitively say I suddenly lost about 12% range briefly, then restored to where I'm only down 5.5% from before the major limitation. I'm very curious to know how many and what proportion of 2012-2016 Model S owners did not see a reduction in range.