Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Subwoofer with custom box installed in my Tesla Model S!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Especially now that they have added the two new EQ settings (which who knows what they are affecting...)

I'm pretty sure they are low and high mid. I've been playing with the EQ a lot over the last few days and it's amazing how much better the stock system sounds with some tweaking. You can really isolate the favorable-sounding bottom end without making everything sound muddy like before (since you can isolate 3 ranges of mid now). I was think about upgrading to a sub, but now I get plenty of bass and the clarity/quality is definitely passable.

• Informative
Reactions: mikerathbun
Ever since the 5-band upgrade I haven't even wanted to touch it. I wonder if there were other upgrades to the DSP path? Well mastered material sounds really, really good. It's not got the overemphasized bass of other 'premium' car sound systems. I used to put subs in all my cars to get the bottom couple of octaves but the Tesla system has a really balanced tone.

Of course, if you're a bass addict, ignore this. You'll want a sub. The stock UHFS is well balanced but it does not overemphasize bass, and some people love that.

Don't want to knock this sub/install as most good/custom mobile install shops don't like to install products that come in from the street as there is no profit, so that's probably why most shops will deny the install or downplay the NVX setup since they don't sell it or won't make any money on the install. Or will charge an insane amount to do it.The custom work is where it is.... little background as well Advanced MECP installer here and have also won/built many systems that won sound offs/Iasca comps.... I went with the NVX system to "test out" and have been pleased with it. Enclosure is made solid and is fits perfectly. No need to do any custom/fiberglass work. Straightforward install and clean. I haven put the term lab on it but this thing definitely bumps. Just need to upgrade the stock speakers to my liking but they will do for now.

Reactions: mikerathbun
To clarify, I don't presently have a NVX sub to install. I want to purchase the NVX sub and have it installed. I know I can purchase the sub directly from NVX or Evanex for about $1000 landed. But if an installer can purchase the sub from NVX for a lower price and make some profit on the equipment that is fine with me. I just want to find an installer who has installed the NVX sub on Teslas already, and will charge a reasonable amount for their labor.

Orange County isn't too far to go for a good installation. I just really would prefer to use an installer that has installed the NVX system before in a Tesla, and is familiar with Teslas. I think that is important based on my viewing of the NVX installation video. I agree La Jolla Audio is a good local company but more than $2000 to install the NVX packaged system seems high to me (including the sub).

La Jolla audio and streetnoyz are both decent high end shops in San Diego. They can both do the sub install.

If you really want a great audio system, you have to go outside of San Diego, though.

I have not purchased any equipment yet but I watched the NVX installation video on the NVX website so I am familiar with what needs to be done. But the video shows an installation on a pre-refreshed MS with the huge frunk and they mounted the amp way back in the frunk toward the firewall. I have a refreshed MS with a mini frunk so I'm not sure where the amp should be installed in my car. I would prefer not to give up any of the mini frunk space for an amp. The installation video also shows an adjustment knob mounted under the 17 inch touchscreen. I saw another video where that knob was mounted near the 12 volt adapter and mobile phone dock and I think that looked much better.

What is a "Thinkware and V1 install"?

It's an easy install. Did you buy their amp? Did they provide you install instructions for the amp?

I don't do installs professionally, but my installs look professional. :) You can check out my Thinkware and V1 install.

I have been reading up on the various "aftermarket sound upgrade" threads, I'm leaning more and more on the NVX system. Can anyone recommend a shop around the I.E./O.C./L.A. area(s)?

Thanks!

I just had the NVX installed in my car and did a comparison video. Plenty of bass with the NVX!

In the video description I listed a 15% off coupon code. Use it if you like.

Here's a link to the video:

I asked NVX for a recommended installer in Southern CA and they recommended Bruce at So Cal Autosound. I contacted Bruce (949-515-8699) and talked about the installation with him and he was very familiar with the NVX installation in a Model S. He also provided me with a very reasonable estimate for the NVX subwoofer with installation. But because I live in San Diego I decided to have it installed locally by La Jolla Audio in San Diego. They did a fantastic job with the installation and the customer service by Donald was second to none. The NVX subwoofer really improves the standard audio system by providing much more depth to the music.

I have been reading up on the various "aftermarket sound upgrade" threads, I'm leaning more and more on the NVX system. Can anyone recommend a shop around the I.E./O.C./L.A. area(s)?

Thanks!