Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I installed a subwoofer and amp and now I am having the error code “Electrical System is unable to support all features” & “Electrical system backup power is unavailable”.

I installed this at a shop, and expressed how I was worried about the error code or else I would have done the install myself. They said, all I need was a hi low filter, which turns out was the LOC. I assumed they knew what they were doing. They had great reviews on yelp. Wanted to charge me 500 dollars for install only, worked them down to 400. Brought my own equipment. Had this error code twice.

Current equipment on 2019 model 3 SR+:
kicker cxa 1200.1 (1200rms)
Idmax 12 inch 2 ohms 1,000rms in sealed box
Audiocontrol L2i pro

First time they tapped into car speakers and and ran audio signal sense not gto.

Got the error code, brought it into Tesla to fix this and other issues(removed the sub and amp was hidden so they didn’t see the system). They replaced my battery. Next day got my car back after hours, it still had the code. I’m pretty sure the code was cleared and fixed, then came back due to the sound system.

Brought back in my car to the stereo shop and explained to them the issue. They said they never ran into this before. The worked on another model 3 and it was fine. Not sure how many they worked on. They disconnected all the equipment and told me to see if the code comes back(since I knew how to reset the code, by disconnecting both batteries, dc and 12v), then if there is no code next day, bring back the car and they will tap into a accessory wire. They tapped into the ignition wire. And now the code came back after a few hours.

I did hours of research, some of the information is confusing. Some was relevant but not sure what direction I could go.

First, is there an easy fix for this such as tapping another accessory wire such as a usb wire instead of the “ignition” wire they used. Or even the driver seat wire(don’t know what it’s called). If I go this route, should we leave it as audio signal sense, or gto?

I heard some people using a switch to turn off their LOC manually every time. Will this fix my issue if I can remember to turn off the LOC, assuming the LOC turns on the amp, I would only need a switch for the LOC and not the amp.

If these options won’t work, what is my cheapest route I can go that will fix my issue?

I saw running a separate battery with isolator which some guy had that was 800-1000 for just that battery. I don’t want to spend 1,000 on another battery. Is there a cheaper battery I could use if I have to go this route? Closer to 100?

I also saw relay and resistor route. I think this route might be fairly cheap? Like under 100? I however have no idea how to do this method.

I have installed a sub and amp many years ago and have a decent amount of handy man experience. If someone has good instructions, I can probably follow it.

Please let me know if there’s an easy fix here, or next best option to fix this. I live in the Bay Area, so if there’s a shop that can help me that’s a reasonable price, that will work too.

Attachments

• IMG_3372.jpeg
    IMG_3372.jpeg
    292.5 KB · Views: 231
If anyone has any information on why the error codes are coming up to begin with, or other useful information, that would help lots. I plan to take what I know and responses to show the shop, so they can fix this. Or do this myself if it’s a possible option.

It's as if the fault brings me to believe that the system does not see the 12V battery or if there is resistance on the line. I would have them look at the battery connection again and see if there is anything that is not providing a secure connection to the 12V batter under the penthouse. Maybe hook everything back to stock and see if the error goes away and that may determine where the fault is coming from. If that's the case, they may need to find another 12V source. Depending on the amp draw, may need to install a capacitor near the amp.

We actually removed the amp/lcipro and I did not have any error codes for 2 days. They initially tapped into speaker wires and ran audio sense, then after removing amp/lcipro with no error codes, they tapped into “ignition wire”, for their 12v accessory. That also gave me the error code. Now I’m here. However I did post on other forums and it seems the go to method seems to be relay and resistors. A guy on Reddit helped me make this diagram with another Reddit post that goes over the install. I think this method will work. They explained why the error codes come up to begin with. I don’t fully understand it, but from what I understand - Tesla heavily monitors their systems. Any outside voltage draws an error code. The amp draws an in rush spike just like how you disconnect a battery, and reconnect the battery when the car was fully off, you see a spark of electricity. This spark is the same thing that happens with the amp. I think this happens when the car goes to sleep, whether it’s charging, sentry mode, overheat cabin, and one more(I think bluetooth or checking your phone app). The relay and resistor fixes that issue. I’ll try this route and see where I’m at, but I’m fairly confident it will work.
IMG_3435.jpeg

We actually removed the amp/lcipro and I did not have any error codes for 2 days. They initially tapped into speaker wires and ran audio sense, then after removing amp/lcipro with no error codes, they tapped into “ignition wire”, for their 12v accessory. That also gave me the error code. Now I’m here. However I did post on other forums and it seems the go to method seems to be relay and resistors. A guy on Reddit helped me make this diagram with another Reddit post that goes over the install. I think this method will work. They explained why the error codes come up to begin with. I don’t fully understand it, but from what I understand - Tesla heavily monitors their systems. Any outside voltage draws an error code. The amp draws an in rush spike just like how you disconnect a battery, and reconnect the battery when the car was fully off, you see a spark of electricity. This spark is the same thing that happens with the amp. I think this happens when the car goes to sleep, whether it’s charging, sentry mode, overheat cabin, and one more(I think bluetooth or checking your phone app). The relay and resistor fixes that issue. I’ll try this route and see where I’m at, but I’m fairly confident it will work. View attachment 954798

That was me :) lmao. Here is my matching TMC post if you need it:

Hope the changes fix your issues!

That was me :) lmao. Here is my matching TMC post if you need it:

Hope the changes fix your issues!

Yeah sorry, I prob should have gave you credit somehow, but thanks! Plan to go to the shop sometime this week to see if we can reach a resolution.

I don’t know how the older battery works but with the LV one in my 2023, the 16v battery talks to the dc-dc and has an expected current that it’ll give to the LV at the front, but by my guess, you tapping into the penthouse- it’s grabbing current before it gets to the LV as it’s expecting it but getting way less! So what people have done is connected to the LV jumper cable in the frunk to let the LV charge with its expected current, then give to your amp AFTER that.

Reactions: Darmie
I don’t know how the older battery works but with the LV one in my 2023, the 16v battery talks to the dc-dc and has an expected current that it’ll give to the LV at the front, but by my guess, you tapping into the penthouse- it’s grabbing current before it gets to the LV as it’s expecting it but getting way less! So what people have done is connected to the LV jumper cable in the frunk to let the LV charge with its expected current, then give to your amp AFTER that.
I actually spoke to another shop and told them my initial issue. They didn’t want to reveal much but they did say to grab power from the frunk. Funny thing is, most guides I’ve seen say the correct method is to grab it from the penthouse. Not sure if this would have solved my issue, but I ended up going the relay/resistor method from this guide.

This fixed my issue, thanks for the suggestion tho.