Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stuck on Safety Score program version 1.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all trying to figure out what it takes to get onto Safety Score Beta 2.0. Just signed up with Tesla Insurance last month.

2016 Model S (late build)
Firmware 2023.6.11
Tesla App version 4.19

From what I read I feel like I should be on 2.0. The reason I’m wanting to know is that my wife drives in the evenings for work and normally doesn’t get home until after 10pm so really want the 2.0 for its weighting of after hours driving. Any advice is appreciated in how to get from 1.2 to 2.0!

Uh, you don't want that. They now penalize you HEAVILY for driving after 10pm.

I went from a 98, $105 a month, to a 86, $193 a month, all because I drive 10 miles home from work twice a week at midnight on empty roads. And I don't drink any alcohol ever. It's actually discriminatory in my opinion.

If I cause an accident at night, penalize me in the future. Don't punish me for something I haven't done.

Ok, found my answer. After an incredible 45 minute long wait with Tesla Insurance, I spoke with Glenn who told me in short that version 2.0 has to be approved by each individual state's commission that oversees vehicle insurance. Currently, only two states are on Version 2.0. Glenn also said he was actually part of the internal team that helped make the changes from 1.2 to 2.0 (specifically around the late night driving). So, until my state (CO) approval's Tesla's insurance changes that includes version 2.0, I will be stuck on version 1.2
Also, changing from version 1.2 to 2.0 only occurs at the end of your term. Since Tesla does six month terms, the earliest I could hope to go from 1.2 to 2.0 is September of this year (again, pending state approval).
Hope this helps people! I told them they really should add this to their FAQ on Tesla's site.

Reactions: Elecom79 and Beyond
Does having insurance through Tesla ruin the fun you can have with the vehicle? Does the occasional launch and curved road exhilarating drive impact your rates?
Not sure if this is a serious question or not, but I'll answer it. G-force is calculated when taking turns so, yes, it could negatively affect your premium. I just have a simple 75D so launching isn't something I need to think about.
Version 2.0 does ping you if you go over 85 mph. 1.2 does not have a speed limit.

Not sure if this is a serious question or not, but I'll answer it. G-force is calculated when taking turns so, yes, it could negatively affect your premium. I just have a simple 75D so launching isn't something I need to think about.
Version 2.0 does ping you if you go over 85 mph. 1.2 does not have a speed limit.
I was serious. I don’t have Tesla insurance options here but I was wondering if I do a 0-60 in 2 seconds launch here and there or take a windy road for a little fun what impact that would have should the option become available. I almost always stay within a few mph of the speed limit but I do like to launch from a stop from time to time.

I was serious. I don’t have Tesla insurance options here but I was wondering if I do a 0-60 in 2 seconds launch here and there or take a windy road for a little fun what impact that would have should the option become available. I almost always stay within a few mph of the speed limit but I do like to launch from a stop from time to time.
Straight line acceleration doesn't affect your score. "Hard cornering" does. "Hard braking" does. Neither of these have a huge weight but you have to drive like your great grandma to avoid them. You don't even have to touch the brake to get hit with "hard braking". "Close following" is a mystery. You can drive on a country road and if a car passes you, you get hit with close following. If you take your foot off the accelerator as they pass you'll quite likely also get hit with "hard braking". Late night driving is a killer (even a few minutes after 10pm on version 1.2). I've heard FCWs are bad but so far I've never had one (knock on wood). I feel in some ways Tesla insurance forces me to drive less safely. Does anyone have good insurance options/suggestions for Teslas?