Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stripped Stud - $600 really!?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New owner of a Model S 2022. Have had it a week. Was having wheels swapped and the mechanic pointed out one of the studs was a bit stripped and said it may be a problem going back on - it was. So I have a stipped stud. Tesla wants over $600 to replace the whole hub. Similar studs are $5. I can pop the disk off and replace the stud myself (or have an experienced shop nearby, but I can't for the life of me confirm the specs for this stud (other searches here seem non-conclusive). I looks like it doesn't have the 15mm beveled tip. There was some take of it being a mustang stud, but notting conclusive. I have asked Tesla and they have gone dark.

How have others dealt with this. Stipped studs are not uncommon and $600 is insane.

Thanks for reading.

If it's stripped out already and you are "handy", I'd remove the stud and take it to NAPA or other high end parts store and just see if they can match it up. I'd be surprised if they are using a proprietary stud design. Liability is why Tesla won't replace it and is offering to replace the whole hub. They are assuming someone over-tightened them and the whole hub is compromised (which... you should inspect the other studs closely for any signs of thread stretch, etc.) If you have a torque wrench it would be good to check the torque of all the lug nuts and make sure they are not over torqued.

Reactions: ATPMSD
Y1965Falcon thanks for your comment. Ya the old skool 'got any of these?' approach was on my mind, but I haven't had much luck with the helpfulness of our local parts store. They tend to want the manufacturer's part number and otherwise provide a scowl. Plus I don't have it confirmed I won't have to take of the calliper and disk to get at the back of the stud, and that all sounds like more than I (a hack at best) want to jump into on an in-warranty $200K (CAD) car.

I was kind of hoping with the vast collective intelligence here someone will have been down this road and can let me know exactly what I need.

"Liability" is such a loaded word - don't get me going. Lawyers! (sorry to all the tesla owning lawyers, but you know you are part of the problem... ;)

The aftermarket wheels I got had a thicker mounting area and I was unhappy with the oem studs.

So I bought these extended racing studs from MountainPassPerformance for 345.00 a set.

Front

Rear