Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strange Sounds from Model Y. Is it normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
My model Y is making some strange noises, but I'm not sure if this is normal

I picked up a tesla model Y Last week 10/6 and yesterday on a road trip I noticed some rattling and wind whistling from the trunk near the back right of the car, I was sitting in the back right passenger seat.

This rattling is noticeable on freeways on slightly bumpy roads. For a bit of the journey there was some wind whistling noise accompanied with the rattling at infrequent intervals. Although the wind whistle was very quiet, but noticeable if you pay attention to it.

on the way back from the road trip, the wind whistle seemed to have ceased, but the rattling was still apparent at infrequent intervals on very slightly bumpy roads.

Another noise that seems absurd, is when the car is idle(park) and the AC is on, the car makes a slightly loud constant whine like sound that can be heard when standing outside that car and cannot be head in the interior, almost if a quiet generator is running. I get that there will probably be a noise in any car if the AC is on, but in my Model y it is loud, much louder than my other car (Mazda cx5)
This sound is similar to the sound that the car makes when preconditioning the battery for supercharging but quieter.

Are these sounds normal, and to be expected?

After 12,000kms in my MY, my remote assessment based on what you have described is:
  1. The wind noise is possibly normal and "noticeable if you pay attention to it" due to the quietness of an EV.
  2. The rattling isn't normal, and if it was me I'd log a service ticket in the app.
  3. The noise when the car is parked is just the car doing it's thing, it could be as a result of the car attempting to adjust the battery temp, remove condensation from the A/C system, etc. It took me a while to get used to my previous Model 3 doing it (wait a second, I thought that I turned that off?!) and simply ignore it.

Reactions: bean2006
Hi,
My model Y is making some strange noises, but I'm not sure if this is normal

I picked up a tesla model Y Last week 10/6 and yesterday on a road trip I noticed some rattling and wind whistling from the trunk near the back right of the car, I was sitting in the back right passenger seat.

This rattling is noticeable on freeways on slightly bumpy roads. For a bit of the journey there was some wind whistling noise accompanied with the rattling at infrequent intervals. Although the wind whistle was very quiet, but noticeable if you pay attention to it.

on the way back from the road trip, the wind whistle seemed to have ceased, but the rattling was still apparent at infrequent intervals on very slightly bumpy roads.

Another noise that seems absurd, is when the car is idle(park) and the AC is on, the car makes a slightly loud constant whine like sound that can be heard when standing outside that car and cannot be head in the interior, almost if a quiet generator is running. I get that there will probably be a noise in any car if the AC is on, but in my Model y it is loud, much louder than my other car (Mazda cx5)
This sound is similar to the sound that the car makes when preconditioning the battery for supercharging but quieter.

Are these sounds normal, and to be expected?