Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stiffer Sport Mode steering after latest upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Someone either at TM forums or one of the Facebook groups indicated that he was told by Tesla that this is a bug. Steering stiffness should be proportional to the speed, not inversely proportional. You need the most power assist when you are moving the least.

+1. Frankly I think there should be no (or minimal) difference in resistance between the three modes at 0 mph.

My steering has been fine for all driving except when in full wheel lock. It has always been hard to move it is when turned all the way. I have noticed no difference with the SW updates. I have been attributing it to my 21"ers. It's annoying but has caused no problems. Parallel parking has been fine. It's only when I am in a very tight spot.

?.. Steering stiffness should be proportional to the speed...

It should act as much as possible like unassisted steering but minus the effects of scrubbing the tires at very low speeds. The force required to move the steering wheel should be proportional to the lateral acceleration of the car. Which is pretty much the same thing as some function of speed AND steering angle.

I've only had this happen to me once, and I have a tight turn in and out of my parking every day that involves locking the wheel sometimes. Definitely a weird feeling and not desirable and will be glad when it's fixed. Otherwise, the steering changes are great. I seem to get more feedback/road feel. Less numb.