Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering wheel crooked after alignment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A few years ago I had a Tesla service center redo the alignment because after the first one they did my steering wheel was not centered. Had the service tech drive the car with me and he confirmed it wasn't centered. So after the second alignment it was still not centered, so I stayed and had them do it again taking up my entire day because it's a two hour drive to them. After it was finished and I was driving home I noticed it was still not centered but it was too late to turn around as they were closing. I ended up just living with it and hopefully it will get fixed when I need new tires. But come on, it shouldn't this difficult to center the steering wheel from a wheel alignment. And you'd think a Tesla service center would ensure it was perfect.

More possibilities than most vehicles. Could be they did not clear the learned offset. Could have been sloppy work and road test.

This assumes the actual alignment is good. If the issue is the offset, it can be manually cleared, or given some time, it will self adjust. If sloppy work, and alignment is good, it is an easy but tedious fix.

Personally, I would let them know, and ask if they cleared the offset.

For me, I set my toe myself, aligned the wheel, but forgot to clear the offset. Once I cleared the offset, all is good. Offset as delivered was over 3deg. Now under 1. I was scratching my head because I know how to string align, but I had to learn about the built in offset functions (you know, RTFM!).

Last edited:
Reactions: MiGoi and rpiotro
I just got an alignment done today at Eurofed for my M3LR. While driving to work, I noticed that my steering wheel is crooked. Could it be that the alignment was not done properly or something is wrong with the steering wheel itself?
Bring it back.

The procedure to aligning the car involves centering the steering wheel, locking it in place so it is completely centered, then measuring and adjusting the tie rod ends (this is the step that actually adjusts where the front wheels point).

What happened was they either didn't center the steering wheel, or they didn't (or didn't know how) lock it in place so it stays centered.

I just got an alignment done today at Eurofed for my M3LR. While driving to work, I noticed that my steering wheel is crooked. Could it be that the alignment was not done properly or something is wrong with the steering wheel itself?
Note there is a software offset correction. Make sure your alignment place is aware of this. It may be the source of your problem if the alignment was done correctly. I have also read it self corrects (before service mode was possible).

I would assume this is just a recalibration of the angle sensor though and that it would not affect steering wheel position. Steering wheel centering is a physical link between the steering column shaft and the wheels through the steering rack. They are hard parts that need to be set correctly to ensure a straight steering wheel position with proper toe settings.

Bring it back.

The procedure to aligning the car involves centering the steering wheel, locking it in place so it is completely centered, then measuring and adjusting the tie rod ends (this is the step that actually adjusts where the front wheels point).

What happened was they either didn't center the steering wheel, or they didn't (or didn't know how) lock it in place so it stays centered.
Yes, I called them and told them what happen. They say I could bring the car back in

Last edited:
Reactions: XPsionic
I didn't even know about this! Thanks for showing the video. If the alignment was done correctly, is this something I can just do myself?
With service mode now available to users, yes you can now do it yourself. Previously the system self learned, but that may take a while. But probably your alignment place should help you get everything correct as this might not be the issue.

I would assume this is just a recalibration of the angle sensor though and that it would not affect steering wheel position. Steering wheel centering is a physical link between the steering column shaft and the wheels through the steering rack. They are hard parts that need to be set correctly to ensure a straight steering wheel position with proper toe settings.
The software adjustment however makes the car do active compensation, meaning it actually physically moves the wheel to adjust for the set offset. This has caused cars that had a centered alignment continually get off center again until the offset is cleared. It's not something that is completely passive, so it can cause the wheel to actually move off center while driving. It can really trip people up if they are not aware there is an active software correction mechanism.

With service mode now available to users, yes you can now do it yourself. Previously the system self learned, but that may take a while. But probably your alignment place should help you get everything correct as this might not be the issue.
Ok, I'm going to take a look into it when I get home. I'd rather not take it back to the alignment shop if I can fix the issue on my own since it's a 1-hour drive from my house.

Thank you, everyone, for your input! I really appreciated it.

It is easy to follow the directions. And, you will not cause harm by clearing the offset. Do note it as the larger the number, the more the system was compensating. After clearing and relearning, a lower number is better. The color scale is reasonable to believe too, as long as you monitor tire wear patterns.

Ok, I'm going to take a look into it when I get home. I'd rather not take it back to the alignment shop if I can fix the issue on my own since it's a 1-hour drive from my house.

Thank you, everyone, for your input! I really appreciated it.
No you'll want to bring it back unfortunately. The software compensation is for autopilot to learn how far to turn the wheel for it to go straight.

What you described with the steering not centered while the car physically is going straight means you need to get this PHYSICALLY changed via adjusting tie rods, it's not a software issue.

Do go into service mode and do a reset after you get the steering wheel centered though.

Reactions: MiGoi and rpiotro
And yet the Tesla service center I that did my 4 wheel alignment 3 times, still couldn't get my steering wheel centered. So is it possible that this service center didn't do the procedure in the video? I'd think they would have known about it.

Last edited:
And yet the Tesla service center I that did my 4 wheel alignment 3 times, still couldn't get my steering wheel centered. So is it possible that this service center didn't do the procedure in the video? I'd think they would have known about it.

Again, steering wheel not centered while going straight is a PHYSICAL problem, not a software calibration issue. Your steering wheel is physically connected via metal to the front wheels. The software calibration is for autopilot/fsd functions.

Your service center isn't doing these steps that are listed in the service manual correctly:

ccccc.png

Step 21 is there to ensure the steering wheel stay perfect centered as the toe is adjusted.

Last edited:
Reactions: mr24hrman
Clearly then my Tesla service center didn't know what they were doing. I haven't had the time to drive the two hours back to them, to get this resolved. So I am waiting until I need new tires, of which I'll probably buy from a tire store and hopefully they will know how to correctly center the steering wheel. I know that I will make it perfectly clear to them that a centered steering wheel is important or I will be back and I'll ask if they have aligned wheels on Tesla's.

No you'll want to bring it back unfortunately. The software compensation is for autopilot to learn how far to turn the wheel for it to go straight.

What you described with the steering not centered while the car physically is going straight means you need to get this PHYSICALLY changed via adjusting tie rods, it's not a software issue.

Do go into service mode and do a reset after you get the steering wheel centered though.
Correct! The only way software could center the wheel would be if there was no physical connection between the steering wheel and the steering rack.

The first and I believe still only regular production car that can do this is an Infiniti Q50 equipped with DAS. I know because I owned one. That steering wheel was dead center. And it could indeed auto calibrate that within a small range.

Reactions: XPsionic
I live in the US, but I think the principle still applies. Teslas are looked upon as a performance automobile. Even though I had no uneven wear, I took my Model Y to a performance race car shop. These shops service the needs of track and street, factory race cars. The alignment was perfect; perfectly centered wheel (was slightly off from factory) and NO pull right or left. Much better than factory setting. I paid $265.00. Maybe you can happen upon a shop like this in the UK. Cheers.

I live in the US, but I think the principle still applies. Teslas are looked upon as a performance automobile. Even though I had no uneven wear, I took my Model Y to a performance race car shop. These shops service the needs of track and street, factory race cars. The alignment was perfect; perfectly centered wheel (was slightly off from factory) and NO pull right or left. Much better than factory setting. I paid $265.00. Maybe you can happen upon a shop like this in the UK. Cheers.
Similar story here. I had a Pontiac G8 GT that the dealer could not get properly aligned after three attempts. I took it to a performance oriented tire/suspension shop 60 miles away. The owner said "Don't worry, this guy makes 'em go straight down the road". And he did!

Reactions: Bigship