Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steam integration for Model S built after Feb 2022 only?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought several posted in other threads that the SC told them $2000 to swap units.
Because that what is the price if you just want to replace the unit out of warranty. If this similar to other HW 1 > HW 2 > HW 3 upgrades then there should diffrent pricing.

My guess Tesla will shaft us but until they officially relase info what is the process to retrofit, it is everyone’s guess.

FWIW, have a mid Jan 2022 build and only 8gigs of ram = no steam (VIN ending 66118)
I have a late January build with VIN ending in 681xx that does have 16 GB and I just ran steam successfully on it.
4C0937F6-D868-49D2-8D35-9372298AB5E4.jpeg

Last edited:
$2000 seems high if all they are doing is adding 8 gigs of ram. If its a complete MCU swap, i'd say us early adopters got shafted.

Where is my supposed PS5 level car gaming computer that is supposed to play cyberpunk?
I didn't think about that until you mentioned it. You're right: $2000 is way too much for a RAM upgrade. Hopefully we 2021 refresh owners didn't secretly lose the higher end (PS5) computer hardware to the same supply chain issue that (you know) cost us tilt screens, lights, etc.

Reactions: jebinc
If indeed you guys are left out, I think you should go for the jugular. It was 100% an advertised feature you guys should get.

I still hope for everyone’s sake that it’s incorrect information and you will all be pleasantly surprised… I personally haven’t heard yet of anyone who is confirmed to not have steam on a refresh S/X. Hope it stays that way.
Confirmed. Got the update. 8gb. No steam.

Reactions: aerodyne and jebinc
Feb 2022 MS with VIN -684xx, does have the 16 GB. The holiday update has been rolled out to FSD Beta testers.

Initially steam did not recognize my 2TB Samsung SSD, I ended up formatting it a couple of times, and performing a 2 button reset, then running steam again and it recognized the drive.

Reactions: zoomer0056
For those that have it, is the Steam update even worth it? Is it working consistently, any noticeable lag, do all your Steam based games run smoothly (ex. Forza Horizon, GTA)? Are the games playable through the rear screen? Can it support multiplayer-online or 2-player via dua; wireless controllers?

The thing about this retrofit with an updated MCU (16gb based) that those are getting quoted for, how does that even guarantee that you wll get the Steam update? These OTA updates are pushed throgh Tesla and to my knowledge can't be triggered by your local service team. From Tesla's lens, they most likely have the 44.25 update configured based on your VIN as to what updates you get (geographically and hardware based). So just because you get the updated 16GB MCU, your VIN may still dictate that you don't qualify for Steam, which again the Service team may not be able to manipulate or exclusively single out and force push.

We really do have to wait for offical word from Tesla on how they plan to support the retrofit. I'm not going to be paying for it though. I'm also not going to be an early adopter of any of their new or "refreshed" vehicles (cybertruck, roadster, upcoming refresh model 3).

Last edited:
For those that have it, is the Steam update even worth it? Is it working consistently, any noticeable lag, do all your Steam based games run smoothly (ex. Forza Horizon, GTA)? Are the games playable through the rear screen? Can it support multiplayer-online or 2-player via dua; wireless controllers?
Worth it: not sure yet, so far not for me;
Works: not with any games I’ve tried yet, but I tend towards sim / strategy games and alot of older titles. The key is they need to be steam deck compatible;
Rear screen: nope
multiplayer: not sure.

After my MS experience (holistically, not just this one situation), I won’t be buying anything new from Tesla either.