Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Standard Autopilot Newbie questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tesla Autopilot Features​

To summarize the full Autopilot feature list, we’ve created the following table:

Autopilot FeatureBefore September 2014AP1 (2014-2016)Base Autopilot (2019+)Enhanced Autopilot (EAP)Full Self-Driving (FSD)
Front Collision AvoidanceYesYesYesYesYes
Lane Departure WarningsYesYesYesYesYes
Lane Departure AvoidanceYesNoYesYesYes
Emergency Lane Departure AvoidanceYesNoYesYesYes
Side Collision AvoidanceYesNoYesYesYes
Traffic-Aware Cruise Control (TACC)NoYesYesYesYes
Autosteer/Auto Acceleration/Auto BrakingNoYesYesYesYes
AutoparkNoYesNoYesYes
Auto Lane ChangeNoYesNoYesYes
Read Speed SignsNoYesYesYesYes
SummonNoYesNoYesYes
Smart SummonNoNoNoYesYes
Navigate on AutopilotNoNoNoYesYes
Traffic Light and Stop Sign ControlNoNoNoNoYes
Fully Autonomous/Self-DrivingNoNoNoNoUpcoming

I read this on a website to understand what features are available for standard autopilot that comes with MYLR. I am assuming its the base Autopilot (2019+) features. I have tried to engage it to work and it seems to work but not in all cases.

1) Front Collision Avoidance: Don't know how to test that (and don't want to test this one myself)
2) Lane Departure Warnings, Lane Departure avoidance, Emergency Lane departure Avoidance: I don't think they work or I don't know how to make them work. Is there any video of these features and how to activate them?
3) Side Collision avoidance: Don't know how to test
4) Traffic aware Cruise control (TACC): I think it works. The car seem to stay in lane. But not sure if slows down or I am too scared and press the brakes.
5) Autosteer/Auto Acceleration/Auto Braking: Not sure what is the difference between this and TACC. But it does follow the lanes on the highway and turn the car when those lines have a curve. I not 100% sure how to activate auto accelerate and auto braking because it stays at the speed where I engage the autopilot. Also, it does not follow the speed limits. eg. if the speed limit is 65 and I engage autopilot at 75, it stays there instead of coming down to 65 or even 70.
6) Auto blinkers off after lane change: This one was told by the SA and does not work. Do I need to activate this somehow? He said it was a new feature rolled out recently.

Is there any tutorial for all of Autopilot features because right now I am finding it very underwhelming.

Reactions: wanlord1
Autosteer/Auto Acceleration/Auto Braking are a few things unrelated that should not be lumped together. A lot of these are safety or convenience features unrelated to automated driving.

Standard ADAP is just Traffic Aware Cruise Control + Lane Centering. This is Basic Autopilot.

So from the above, Autosteer is Tesla's name for Lane Centering. This is the feature (the second down-tap) that drives the car in the middle of the lane.

Auto Acceleration and Auto Braking are behaviors of Traffic Aware Cruise Control.

Give this grouping a thought...

Advanced Driver Assistance System:
  • Traffic-Aware Cruise Control (TACC) - includes Auto Acceleration & Auto Braking
  • Autosteer

Enhanced ADAS:
  • Auto Lane Change
  • Navigate on Autopilot

Full Self Driving-Capable:
  • Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control
  • Turning on city streets
  • Fully Autonomous/Self-Driving

Safety Features:
  • Front Collision Avoidance
  • Lane Keep Assistance - (supercedes Lane Departure Warnings & Lane Departure Avoidance)
  • Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance
  • Side Collision Avoidance

Convenience Features:
  • Read Speed Signs
  • Autopark
  • Summon
  • Smart Summon
To your questions, I do not know a great way to test all of them...
1) This will happen naturally when you approach a car too fast - I get this when a car is turning right and I know I will clear but the car doesn't
2) Lane Keep Assistance - this is a gentle nudge back into the lane when you drive onto a linie
3) Side Collision avoidance - this is effectively non-functional; it turns a car next to you red on the screen, but doesn't do much to steer you away
4) Traffic aware Cruise control (TACC) - if you down-tap once and it keeps your speed, it is working
5) Autosteer - down-tap a second time, and the car will steer automatically in the middle of the lane
6) Auto blinkers off after lane change - this is something you need to turn on in settings; it has been active since December

>>>6) Auto blinkers off after lane change - this is something you need to turn on in settings; it has been active since December
I looked around in the settings but could not find it. Do you know where is this setting?
It should be under the "Lights" section of the main controls screen.

>>>6) Auto blinkers off after lane change - this is something you need to turn on in settings; it has been active since December
I looked around in the settings but could not find it. Do you know where is this setting?
It's Auto Turn Signals in the Lights section.
Auto Turn Signals.jpg

4) Traffic aware Cruise control (TACC): I think it works. The car seem to stay in lane. But not sure if slows down or I am too scared and press the brakes.
5) Autosteer/Auto Acceleration/Auto Braking: Not sure what is the difference between this and TACC. But it does follow the lanes on the highway and turn the car when those lines have a curve. I not 100% sure how to activate auto accelerate and auto braking because it stays at the speed where I engage the autopilot. Also, it does not follow the speed limits. eg. if the speed limit is 65 and I engage autopilot at 75, it stays there instead of coming down to 65 or even 70.
4) TACC adjust the car speed, but has nothing to do with keeping you in your lane. Easiest way to see this in action is on an Interstate or limited-access highway. Engage TACC and you can see your car slow down, or speed up (to the max setting), depending on on what the car in front of you is doing. It does the same on smaller roads, but if you have TACC engaged and approach a car stopped at a red light, most people feel that the car waits a bit too long before slowing down. That is, a human would start slowing a lot sooner than TACC does and that might make you nervous - that's why I suggest getting comfortable with it on a limited access highway first. But in my opinion, it does work pretty great.

5) TACC controls car speed - acceleration and braking. TACC + Lane Assist is referred to as Auto Pilot (AP). On smaller roads, your max speed is limited to 5 mph above the posted speed limit, and you should see your MAX speed drop when the speed limit drops. But I rarely see MAX increase if the speed limit increases. On bigger highways, MAX speed is not limited to 5 mph above the speed limit and you can set it higher.

Somehow the feeling is that the costs were lowered because of all the hardware removed from the car. Which results in net savings. Center console data module and USS are the two I can think of but there might be many others. It originally started with chip shortage but then they just dropped it altogether because it did not slow down the sale of their cars.

Reactions: hmadsen
Somehow the feeling is that the costs were lowered because of all the hardware removed from the car. Which results in net savings. Center console data module and USS are the two I can think of but there might be many others. It originally started with chip shortage but then they just dropped it altogether because it did not slow down the sale of their cars.
Radar.

Passenger seat lumbar.

Just so I understand clearly, autopilot noob here as well, if I have TACC and Autosteer activated, it will maintain my speed for me while also keeping me in the center of the lane.

If there’s a car ahead, it will follow at the distance you set it to (right steering wheel adjustment button). If it sees a car braking in front, my car will also brake automatically without me having to do anything.

However, if there’s no cars ahead of me and a stop sign or stop light is ahead, I will have to manually press the brakes and then reactivate TACC and autosteer?

Just so I understand clearly, autopilot noob here as well, if I have TACC and Autosteer activated, it will maintain my speed for me while also keeping me in the center of the lane.

If there’s a car ahead, it will follow at the distance you set it to (right steering wheel adjustment button). If it sees a car braking in front, my car will also brake automatically without me having to do anything.

However, if there’s no cars ahead of me and a stop sign or stop light is ahead, I will have to manually press the brakes and then reactivate TACC and autosteer?

Correct.

Then, adding FSD, you dont have to break or do anything if a car is not in front of you:
  1. Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control

Reactions: GoHawks29