Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR+ Software Unlocks (live traffic, music streaming)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

willow_hiller

Apr 3, 2019
Maryland
I've seen a few threads floating around about downgrading the SR+, so I wanted to start one about the opposite.

Just spotted this tweet of a photo from the La Jolla showroom advertising the $39,500 SR+ as having Premium Audio, Live Traffic, Music Streaming, Web Browser Hari Sai on Twitter

It would be a great incentive for current SR+ owners not to downgrade if these features are actually software unlocked.

I would be willing to chalk this up to a mistake in the details, but it seems like Tesla has been making a series of mistakes in the same direction. The wording in the SR announcement blog post got my hopes up for software unlocks for the SR+ as well.

"As a result, Model 3 Standard will now be a software-limited version of the Standard Plus, and we are taking it off the online ordering menu, which just means that to get it, customers will need to call us or visit any one of the several hundred Tesla stores. Deliveries of Model 3 Standard will begin this weekend.

Its range will be limited by 10%, and several features will be disabled via software (including our onboard music streaming service, navigation with live traffic visualization, and heated seats)."

This SR+ is unlike others because it doesn't come with Autopilot as standard.

So, it's only reasonable that in exchange for the lack of $3,000 for Autopilot, it has $3,000 worth of other features.

Interesting observation. You think the SR+ advertised in that show room is $39,500 without AP? I figured since $39,500 is the starting price for the AP-standard SR+, that those must be the new interior options for the SR+.

...You think...

It's a summary. What you see is what you got. For example: If it doesn't say "Full first charge...Included" then don't complain when picking up your car with a low charge and Tesla staff says it's extra to charge yours up!

Same here, no listing of FSD nor AP. Good luck in demanding those 2 included in the price!

D4JqkT1UEAI1GxJ.jpg

Why would an in-store feature listing not include the now-standard AP and then go on to list features that aren’t included standard?

This doesn't look like a display from a service center, it looks like a touchscreen from a showroom in a mall or something. Two real options in my mind, either the informational display was glitched and showed premium features with SR+ details, or Tesla is planning on upgrading the SR+ over the air with additional features.

Both are equally likely, but I find it interesting that all the details on the screen are correct except for the ones the Tesla blog implied the SR+ would have over the SR... But then again, the screen does say "subwoofer" and I'm pretty sure the SR+ does not physically have one.

Why would an in-store feature listing not include the now-standard AP and then go on to list features that aren’t included standard?

An easy answer is it's a mistake.

However, Tesla has constantly shifting options and prices around, sometimes officially on public websites, others by "off-the-menu" option... So, it is difficult to figure out whether it's intentional or not.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but that terminology has been on the website since summer of 2018. So who knows if they still have plans to roll that out.
Yes and no. You may be thinking of the annual $100 connectivity fee, that has been since the summer of 2018.

The FAQ specifically references ‘Connectivity plans for Model 3 without Premium Interior will be announced later this year.’ which has only been offered since March. No car has needed an upgrade option available until now.