Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Squeeky top mounts?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone, I wonder if you could help diagnose the sound. I have tried to search but no luck from common issues.

Is it common for lowered model 3s (year 2019) for top mounts to need replacing within 50k?

The sound is coming from top mount area so would assume its that? I have tried to upload the video but no luck. Can anyone attach it for me?

When dry steering and driving it squeeks.

If I am right, is anyone aware of upgraded top mounts without going for new struts?

Any help would be amazing

It will be the upper control arms, not the top mounts.
Assuming it's not in warranty, if you get Tesla to fix it will cost around £190 in total. It's not a difficult DIY if you want to have a go.
Aftermarket parts are available also, but the latest Tesla arms are a big improvement on the originals. Make sure they use part numbers 1288321 and 1288326.

Reactions: android04 and Adam3
It will be the upper control arms, not the top mounts.
Assuming it's not in warranty, if you get Tesla to fix it will cost around £190 in total. It's not a difficult DIY if you want to have a go.
Aftermarket parts are available also, but the latest Tesla arms are a big improvement on the originals. Make sure they use part numbers 1288321 and 1288326.

Just curious when you say big improvement do they "perform" better when driving, or they are simply more waterproof and shouldn't become squeaky like the first versions? I have out of warranty 2019 with 25k miles. They have not started squeaking yet. Wondering if I should proactively get it done or just wait i tout.

I thought the UCA squeak was a warranty issue? They slapped some urethane something on the tops of mine, and I haven't had a squeak in a couple years. I know a lot of people had theirs replaced under warranty. At least I saw a ton in the dumpster behind my Tesla SC! Here's a pic I took:
IMG_5662.jpeg

Someone else posted that Meyle sells a version that should eliminate the problem if you want to go that route. Tesla version on left, Meyle version on right.
Meyle_Querlenker_Tesla.jpeg

Ok I think you better list all the mods on your car as I was under the impression it was all factory. Squeaks can come from various bushes so you need to narrow it down more. At least top/bottom. The MPP FUCAs are unlikely to be the cause.

Just curious when you say big improvement do they "perform" better when driving, or they are simply more waterproof and shouldn't become squeaky like the first versions? I have out of warranty 2019 with 25k miles. They have not started squeaking yet. Wondering if I should proactively get it done or just wait i tout.
Improved ball joint so water doesn't get in and the grease stays in there. There are more expensive aftermarket ones like Powerflex or MPP which also have uprated bushes and can give you more camber adjustment but on the whole they're aimed at drivers taking their cars in track. For most the new aluminium £70 Tesla ones will be the best bet IMO.

Reactions: Adam3 and android04