Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speed limits completely off in Eastern Europe

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I have Tesla Model Y 2023 with the newest software and maps updates.
I'm driving in Eastern Europe and as I found out - tesla autopilot is almost completely useless on non major highways.
In 70-80% of times it has significantly lower speed limit, like there is a sign 30km/hr that applies to like 50 meters of the road, but tesla applies it for the next 10km
Usually it's not that drastic, most of the time it's 60km/hr where limit is 90km/hr but still, people drive 100-110 so when you drive 70 you're neucanse at lest on autopilot.
I've read forum and someone recommended to check openstreetmap.org and correct speed there, but that source already has right speed limits. Moreover, apps like Waze, speed limits in navgation in my previious 2020 Toyota Rav 4, TomTom, Here Maps - all has correct speed limits, at least in 80-90% of cases.
Wondering, is there anything can be done, I understand that Tesla doesn't address that, but maybe there is some secret way to disable car obeying imaginary speed limit or some hack or device to do that?
It's quite a large issue and if there is no solution I'll be definitely looking to other cars in a few years when my lease will be up. That 2020 Toyota Rav 4 I've mentioned had better "autopilot" in that regard.

Reactions: primedive
They are similarly wrong in northern Wisconsin, and probably most places that aren’t cities or major highways, other than maybe California. There seems to be no way to get this corrected through Tesla. The only solution I know of is to buy the FSD. That allows you to roll the speed to whatever you want to, but may decide to kill you randomly (like driving through stop signs). It’s the most valuable feature I have found in FSD, and I’m not quite dead yet, although it keeps trying.

Reactions: jhneuerburg
Wow! Is it true, you can override an incorrect speed limit if you have bought an FSD?

It worth for me, FSD itselfin Europe is joke (it's on the level it was probably in 2012 in USA, limited by regulations) but if it allow me to use autopilot on non major roads it's totally with it!

Are anyone from Europe can confirm that? (Or is there refund policy if it end up not working here)

Wow! Is it true, you can override an incorrect speed limit if you have bought an FSD?

It worth for me, FSD itselfin Europe is joke (it's on the level it was probably in 2012 in USA, limited by regulations) but if it allow me to use autopilot on non major roads it's totally with it!

Are anyone from Europe can confirm that? (Or is there refund policy if it end up not working here)
no because it's the FSD beta software only in US and Canada

Shoot, ok, will look for another solution.

Btw here how it looks like in practice:

1692197679556.png

It's a 4 lanes road (2 lanes in each direction) with a divider, limit here is 90km/hr but people normally drive 100-120 km/hr, yet, Tesla things that the limit is twice as lower and insist on that for kilometers to the point where this road reaches city where it changes to 70 (and this time Tesla picks up the change)

Just a point as I've read something that it's for narrow roads without divider, like it's not safe thus lower speed limit, which it's clearly isn't

This is the cause of nearly all my frustration with my M3s. All rural two lanes in Minnesota are either 55mph or 60mph. Autopilot regularly assumes the speed limit is 35mph, making autopilot completely useless.

When will Tesla fix this?! I may on occasion be that crazy person yelling at my car (or Elon) while driving.

Reactions: Individoo
I have the same issue with residential streets in New York state (US). The actual speed limit is 30mph, but the car regularly shows 55mph (which is deadly in a residential neighborhood).

Worth noting - when I bought the car in December 2020, the car had the correct speed limit. A subsequent nav data update made them all wrong.

I *suspect* (and yes, I lean towards conspiracy theory) that someone may have poisoned a public dataset (e.g. Open Street Maps) that Tesla was using. It's hard to otherwise imagine how Tesla has all of these correct and pushed incorrect data overnight.

Truly, it seems like Tesla has failed here because the cameras could absolutely collect accurate speed limit data for them.

I have the same issue with residential streets in New York state (US). The actual speed limit is 30mph, but the car regularly shows 55mph (which is deadly in a residential neighborhood).

Worth noting - when I bought the car in December 2020, the car had the correct speed limit. A subsequent nav data update made them all wrong.

I *suspect* (and yes, I lean towards conspiracy theory) that someone may have poisoned a public dataset (e.g. Open Street Maps) that Tesla was using. It's hard to otherwise imagine how Tesla has all of these correct and pushed incorrect data overnight.

Truly, it seems like Tesla has failed here because the cameras could absolutely collect accurate speed limit data for them.
Are there speed limit signs clearly visible to the car that say 30MPH? I'd be curious if the map data is showing 55MPH, and the car is ignoring the 30MPH speed limit signs. When the car turns right or left onto a new street, it pulls speed limit data from the maps, but the moment it sees a speed limit sign on the new street, it should adjust accordingly.

Are there speed limit signs clearly visible to the car that say 30MPH? I'd be curious if the map data is showing 55MPH, and the car is ignoring the 30MPH speed limit signs. When the car turns right or left onto a new street, it pulls speed limit data from the maps, but the moment it sees a speed limit sign on the new street, it should adjust accordingly.

Yeah, the speed limit signs are very clear. Driving by one does *not* change the displayed speed, but if my memory serves me correctly, it used to.

• Informative
Reactions: Dewg
It just doesn’t work. From the beginning there is a small town nearby with 25 mph limit. It correctly slows to it and stays there until leaving town and there is a 55mph sign. It shows 55 and starts to accelerate for maybe 5 seconds. Then it drops back to 35 and shows this as the limit (on a straight 55 mph road) for the next 15 miles (where it ends). This behavior is the same regardless of car (Model 3 or Y), software version, anything. Their data is just bad and they have no mechanism for customers to get it fixed. You get what you pay for (unless you bought FSD), so I imagine that Tesla buys this bad data from some lowest cost provider.

Getting same issues in UK on non motorway dual carriageway even 3 lane non motorway A roads. If it's global, it must be the source data for speed limits being wrong. Obvious fix is use/buy accurate source data. Just do it Tesla