Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speed Limiter function

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has the idea of a dynamic speed limiter function been discussed elsewhere?
In my old ICE car I had a choice between a very basic cruise control function and a speed limiter function whereby I could dynamically set whatever speed I didn’t want to exceed on any particular stretch of road, and could drive at varying speeds up to that limit.
I found it very useful, and miss it in my model 3, as sometimes I’d rather be in charge of the acceleration and speed rather than allow the intelligent cruise control to attempt to maintain whatever is set. Sometimes that causes inappropriate acceleration.
On twisty country roads a speed limiter set at whatever speed you don’t want to exceed would be a far more natural and enjoyable driving experience than letting the cruise control function do its own thing.

Reactions: EV_SteveA
In my old ICE car I had a choice between a very basic cruise control function and a speed limiter function whereby I could dynamically set whatever speed I didn’t want to exceed on any particular stretch of road, and could drive at varying speeds up to that limit.
I found it very useful, and miss it in my model 3, as sometimes I’d rather be in charge of the acceleration and speed rather than allow the intelligent cruise control to attempt to maintain whatever is set. Sometimes that causes inappropriate acceleration.
On twisty country roads a speed limiter set at whatever speed you don’t want to exceed would be a far more natural and enjoyable driving experience than letting the cruise control function do its own thing.
I'd like to second this as a request.. I'll tweeted Elon a few times on the hope, but nothing yet! Currently got a Ford Ranger, and the speed limiter keeps the speeding tickets at bay, especially in the UK on little village roads. I found the cruise control to be a bit "wanting" in that department. Great on big roads though.. can't be hard to develop that can it??

not sure I follow the logic.
There are already a whole bunch of options for setting the initial cruise speed and you can change it from there.
Currently the anti-ticket method is using a speed limit+percentage over, so it changes based on speed limit.
But the speed is always adjustable using the scroll wheel to whatever you want.
You can also have it set the current speed as the cruise speed.

There are already a whole bunch of options for setting the initial cruise speed and you can change it from there.
Currently the anti-ticket method is using a speed limit+percentage over, so it changes based on speed limit.
The logic is that currently we have a limiting function on our existing ICE cars that allow one to set an upper limit, lets say 31 in a 30 or 53 in a 50 etc so we can mash the accelerator knowing that the car will stop accelerating when we get there, safely under the ticket speed. It's really useful for driving in 30 mph limits when driving the car manually, rather than asking the car to drive at a speed. In a small village there are too many variables for the car to "autopilot" itself successfully.. I don't want a cruise speed, I want a manually set do-not-exceed speed.

Reactions: melduk and Twiglett
Graeme has explained my point well….the option to be able to drive at varying speeds either in town or in the countryside using the accelerater/regenerative braking/normal braking rather than a thumbwheel/automatics would be a far more natural and enjoyable way to drive, especially in a car as amazing to drive as a Tesla….and to be able to set the local speed limit as a ‘do not exceed’ speed would keep the speeding tickets at bay.
Teslas are so quick to reach the speed limit that a speed limit function would be a great feature to stay within the law when driving manually.
I often want to drive my Tesla manually, at varying speeds, using just the steering wheel and my right foot because it’s such a great driving machine…. I don’t want to have to use a thumbwheel to change speed every time, and I don’t want my car to accelerate to whatever speed is set on the cruise control every time because there are situations where that is not appropriate.
I often tell people that my Tesla is at its best on quiet, ‘twisty and turny’ country roads averaging about 60mph where you’re constantly using regenerative braking into curves and accelerating out of them, getting max range out of the battery whilst having a lot of fun. Cruise control, as it currently functions, is not ideal for those roads.
Give us a function where it’s us driving the car, not the automatics, up to a safe speed that we set.…..a speed Limiter function!
My ICE car is 12 years old and has one……and I use it all the time when I drive that!

Graeme has explained my point well….the option to be able to drive at varying speeds either in town or in the countryside using the accelerater/regenerative braking/normal braking rather than a thumbwheel/automatics would be a far more natural and enjoyable way to drive, especially in a car as amazing to drive as a Tesla….and to be able to set the local speed limit as a ‘do not exceed’ speed would keep the speeding tickets at bay.
Teslas are so quick to reach the speed limit that a speed limit function would be a great feature to stay within the law when driving manually.
I often want to drive my Tesla manually, at varying speeds, using just the steering wheel and my right foot because it’s such a great driving machine…. I don’t want to have to use a thumbwheel to change speed every time, and I don’t want my car to accelerate to whatever speed is set on the cruise control every time because there are situations where that is not appropriate.
I often tell people that my Tesla is at its best on quiet, ‘twisty and turny’ country roads averaging about 60mph where you’re constantly using regenerative braking into curves and accelerating out of them, getting max range out of the battery whilst having a lot of fun. Cruise control, as it currently functions, is not ideal for those roads.
Give us a function where it’s us driving the car, not the automatics, up to a safe speed that we set.…..a speed Limiter function!
My ICE car is 12 years old and has one……and I use it all the time when I drive that!
yes, that post helped the understanding. I really like the idea as you describe.
What is your car that has that, it sounds like fun.

I would definitely like such functionality as well.
Volkswagen ID range allows speed limit to be adjusted dynamically based on traffic signs with a chosen margin, and that is a real speed limit function. Limiting the speed to the set speed, except when flooring the pedal it can be temporary overruled.
My Volvo from 2012 even allows setting a speed limit next to cruise control. The "speed limit" options that Tesla offers currently are not sufficient to adhere the speed limits without having too look at the speedometer.

It would be nice if we can just move the drive handle to "reverse" and that this enables speed limiter mode when you do not standstill. It's on the same control, on the opposite direction for most European cars.

I would definitely like such functionality as well.
Volkswagen ID range allows speed limit to be adjusted dynamically based on traffic signs with a chosen margin, and that is a real speed limit function. Limiting the speed to the set speed, except when flooring the pedal it can be temporary overruled.
My Volvo from 2012 even allows setting a speed limit next to cruise control. The "speed limit" options that Tesla offers currently are not sufficient to adhere the speed limits without having too look at the speedometer.

It would be nice if we can just move the drive handle to "reverse" and that this enables speed limiter mode when you do not standstill. It's on the same control, on the opposite direction for most European cars.
Yes, or it could be simply a voice command along the lines: 'Limit speed to 52'. On my other cars you just floor the accelerator to disengage the limit if needed for overtaking etc.

All cars sold in Europe will have to have one soon, so I hope they'd be working on it this year...
The 2019/2044 regulation also mandates all new cars that have already launched be fitted with an Intelligent Speed Assist (ISA) by 7 July 2024.

This post is to keep this topic alive.

When driving on European roads, a dynamic speed limiter is not a luxury option.

Turning on autopilot is not the best option in most cases. There is a lot of traffic. As a driver, you have to anticipate on the situation on the road.

Example : on roads where the driver, coming from the right, must be given the priority to move in front of you, you as a driver is supposed to reduce speed at the intersection. The autopilot does not do this and you are obliged to intervene. With a dynamic speed limiter, you as the driver easily reduce the speed by releasing the pedal and accelerate after the intersection to the determined maximum road speed. And with the acceleration of a Tesla you can go over the speed limit very easily.

I would really like a true Speed Limiter function set via voice "Set speed limit to 30mph" or by tapping the speed icon currently if the Speed Icon is tapped the car sets this as the cruise speed and tries to drive at that speed. The car also has the global Speed Limit Mode set from the app. but this is more as a max speed rather than a dynamic speed limit.

Last edited: