Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speculation: Model X will contain "full autopilot" IE self driving.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wouldn't a full autopilot system require some form of LIDAR system that Google are using? I think Elon's claims of full autopilot would be limited to highways, at best, without such a LIDAR array.

My thoughts are that humans are able to drive using only vision. Smart software should be able to get by with vision only too. With that being said, you'd need hardware capable of processing 4K+ resolution video at as high of a frame rate as possible. I don't think that will be possible for 5-10 years.

Elon has said openly that Model S already has the hardware to be autonomous, so X will also have it. In today's announcement Tesla went further and said that in about 6 mos they'd release OTA an update that would allow autopilot on highways and at low speed on private property...full driverless mode. So X will have that version in it's initial beta.

i think the low speed private property driverless will get a lot of attention as tech company campuses that are crawling with Tesla's set up Tesla autopilot valet friendly parking rules. These will be the first real world setting where we'll see genuine driverless cars doing something useful and pretty amazing, literally dropping off and picking up people without anyone in the drivers seat.

Now THIS would be awesome. I work at a campus that leaves me with a solid 5-10 minute hike from where I park to my desk. Being able to drive up to the front door, and then send the car off to park at the top of the parking lot - me likey.

I particularly like the thinking of it as a real world setting where it gets put into practice. In fact - I think I might just need to see if I can tell it to "go park" while staying in the driver's seat to give it some test runs, but with me still at the wheel seeing what it's doing.

The low speed/self parking use will be the most welcomed for the reasons mentioned and that too often there are too few convenient parking spaces for drivers who are challenged with mobility issues.

(In the USA, we have an aging population who -- more than in past generations -- will continue to drive. Autopilot will be a huge help there. )

What better way to teach a computer how to drive than to sample the driving habits of tens of thousands of drivers?
I don't know, a random number generator would be better than teaching it to drive by having it emulate your typical Boston driver.

No, seriously, I don't want my car to be "as good as" my fellow human drivers. Even the good ones, and there are plenty of bad ones. I want it to be better than them.

I don't know, a random number generator would be better than teaching it to drive by having it emulate your typical Boston driver.

No, seriously, I don't want my car to be "as good as" my fellow human drivers. Even the good ones, and there are plenty of bad ones. I want it to be better than them.

I spent most of today driving in Boston, but I'm sure you were not talking about my driving:smile:

Present company excluded, naturally. But do you want future self driving cars to drive like the the people you were sharing the road with?

Probably not. I would just hope that after the miserable winter we had that self driving cars would be smart enough to avoid all the new pot holes.
There are times you have to go partially into the next lane to avoid the beating your tires and suspension take.

Probably not. I would just hope that after the miserable winter we had that self driving cars would be smart enough to avoid all the new pot holes.
There are times you have to go partially into the next lane to avoid the beating your tires and suspension take.
I would imagine that if you're going to have the car map out the potholes as it drives, you feed that into some kind of active suspension instead of having the car swerve and dodge (don't some of the S-Class models have this, some cheezy name like "magic suspension"?).

I think you are correct that the S-Class has some sort of camera that reads the road surface ahead and immediately alters the suspension as needed.
Now in Boston it would look for minute gaps in traffic that we could swerve into just to get ahead of another car! That's the Boston Autopilot. :smile:

I would imagine that if you're going to have the car map out the potholes as it drives, you feed that into some kind of active suspension instead of having the car swerve and dodge (don't some of the S-Class models have this, some cheezy name like "magic suspension"?).

Of course you're assuming the active suspension could handle the potholes, but you have to remember some of the potholes are on unbelievably deep.
Not sure active suspension could handle them unless of course it could determine when it was necessary to swerve safely.

potholes.PNG

I've never understood this mindset. You buy a product as is and shouldn't expect it to ever be upgraded beyond how you bought it.
Tesla doesn't agree with your mindset.

Model S | Tesla Motors
Autopilot features are progressively enabled over time with software updates. The current software version is 6.1, adding traffic-aware cruise control, forward collision warning, and camera-enabled automatic high/low beam headlights.
Model S periodically receives over the air software updates that add new features and refresh the touchscreen look and feel.

Tesla continues to present this upgrade/update capability as a key feature of the car to buyers.

Of course you're assuming the active suspension could handle the potholes, but you have to remember some of the potholes are on unbelievably deep.
Hey, you're talking to a guy who had potholes in the street in front of his house that weren't fixed until his neighbors planted a full-on garden in them, in the middle of the street, and planted a sign in the middle of it with the mayor's phone number on it.

Abu Dhabi...sunny, clear. 42 degrees C...no chance of sleet, snow, freezing rain...:wink:

Seriously though, it would be interesting to see how their self driving vehicles would work in adverse conditions...sandstorm maybe?

In Masdar city, Abu Dhabi they already hade sellfdriving cars to take people around the city so tesla will not be first with that. It may be the first car that normal people can buy how can drive automatically but if so it will be the newer version of Model S and not Model X

Abu Dhabi...sunny, clear. 42 degrees C...no chance of sleet, snow, freezing rain...:wink:

Seriously though, it would be interesting to see how their self driving vehicles would work in adverse conditions...sandstorm maybe?

Not really any sandstorms here, but we got pretty much all the seasons throughout a year. Heavy snow, freezing cold, slippery, sunny, dark, warm, etc. Looking forward to test these features here in Norway.

Bef 2015: 40 signs in 25 countries
Beg of 2015: 250 signs in 50 countries
End of 2015: 1000 signs in 100 countries

Stoplight recognition in Model X? Some comments in the video below that indicate that possibility.

Certainly contains EyeQ3 like is in the Model S as of (~Nov'14) [EyeQ4 coming out in Oct'15)

Source: CTO of Mobileye in which Amnon Shashua talks about how Mobileye is incorporating deep learning into its self driving car research.
The Future of Computer Vision and Automated Driving by Prof. Amnon Shashua - YouTube

Not really any sandstorms here, but we got pretty much all the seasons throughout a year. Heavy snow, freezing cold, slippery, sunny, dark, warm, etc. Looking forward to test these features here in Norway.
See the presentation in my above post. There are sections that talk about not having lane markers. Idea is interpreting "freespace" based on everything around it. Trees, asphalt edge, other cars, shadows, signs, pedestrians, guardrails, etc, etc, etc. They show video of a nasty snow storm with some moderately clear lane (1 of 2 lanes on a road) from traffic and how the system can determine the correct path. Other videos show wet roads, reflections on the road where there are markers, darkness, etc and how they can still interpret a lane ... something like a human would do.