Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speaking of charging, our solar hit a new milestone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This actually happened two weeks ago. But in less than a year, we’ve produced enough electricity where our solar data software is now counting how many STADIUMS we can power! It used to count how many light bulbs, then switched to homes, now it’s counting by stadiums. Since we’ve had solar installed in late September 2018, we’ve paid for electric supply exactly ZERO times — we generate enough electricity to power 100% of our electric needs, including charging the Model 3 (LR/AWD).

• Saving money
• Going green
• Never paying for electricity again
• Never paying for gasoline for my car again

Just wanted to mention it here in case anyone was thinking of or on the fence with going solar.

solar-template-2.png

That's an impressive array. You're definitely in the rarefied group of over achievers. :)

Does the utility pay you for the excess or are you just zeroed out?
We get paid for excess, but it's not a lot (you certainly don't install residential solar to make money).

i estimate we were making about 4,000 kWh excess since we made some appliance updates. That's pretty much the reason I bought a Tesla. I was originally going to get a PHEV like a Honda Clarity, but we'd still have so much excess power.

I like the pieces of the array with different facing. I've been thinking our array would be better with some panels in back of our house - the actual facing is the optimal facing, but translates to better morning energy generation than afternoon generation.

No pics, but our array has been good for about 60% of our total household energy consumption. But we got involved in a feed-in tariff program, so 60% of energy consumption translates into >100% of money generator (we net out to an income stream from our utility).

Reactions: Rothgarr