Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX Test Rocket Explodes After McGregor, TX Launch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
CNN ran a pretty fair article about what happened:
Experimental SpaceX rocket self-detonates over Texas - CNN.com

Also, here's the write up at NASA Space Flight:
Eventful Friday for SpaceX amid Static Fire and Test Failure | NASASpaceFlight.com

- - - Updated - - -

Cleaned up, stabilized and zoomed in version:

F9R Dev1 [moment of explosion] - YouTube

Again, borrowed from the nice people at the NSF forums.

You can actually see it turn sideways, then the engine turns off, then it self destructs.

Interesting you can see it venting something just before explosion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mod note: some posts were moved to the politics quarantine thread.

Also re: thread title -- I added "test" rocket and McGregor, TX location to differentiate it from a NASA or commercial launch, but the rocket did in fact explode -- that would probably be the most common word used when searching/scanning threads, so it's important IMO to leave it in the thread title.

Thanks JRod for the nice video find.

Maybe it's good have a brother, to gives a supportive point of view...
(or not)

I think it's FTS working, ripping the tanks open. There just is a delay before LOX/kerosene-cloud ignite.

For some reason the time jump piece didn't work for me in the link, you want to go to the 19 minute mark for the piece being referenced here :)

Kimbal says something along the lines of his investment in SpaceX was worth it if all he got to see was a bunch of rockets exploding. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
That 'fair' article from CNN never mentioned the word 'test' - a big fail !!

It is a test flight or not is a big difference. Sometimes you learn a lot from failed tests than successful ones.

The first word in the title of the article is "Experimental". I'm quite surprised that the fact that it was a test rocket was so up front, rather than being buried in the text. Good on the editor for deciding to be fair like that.

You're not engineering rockets properly unless you blow up a rocket during testing.

To me, it looks like the system performed perfectly. It recognised a flight control problem and terminated the mission. S--t happens, no one was hurt, no cargo was lost. Maybe spacex needs another rocket but no biggie.

Maybe spacex needs another rocket but no biggie.

They're actually already building one:

Rockets that return home SpaceX pushing the boundaries | NASASpaceFlight.com

As a result, another test vehicle – the Falcon 9-R Dev -2 – will take up residency at Spaceport America in New Mexico, where the vehicle will be able to fly at much higher altitudes.

“We’re going to keep doing tests at McGregor with the F9-R Dev 1 and F9-R Dev 2 will be at Spaceport America. Anything we can test at a relatively low altitude – below around 10,000 feet – will continue to be tested at McGregor,” noted Mr. Musk.

“The high altitude stuff – where it’s going atmospheric, 300,000 feet plus – will be tested in New Mexico as we need a much bigger clear area.”

Yes, low altitude tests like... How to blow up a rocket. :p

Seriously I hope they are able to build that facility to let that rocket exhibit the same features we have at a normal launch pad. Having a tower with the holding arms shoot up to 300k feet and then deploy the legs for a smooth landing. I expect that test will likely need to happen before they do a serious landing attempt on solid ground.

The payload or modifications required to carry it might have been the cause of the problem. Without further information you can't assume it was a failure of an operational launcher. The same way the SpaceX rocket didn't impact the regular launch schedule.

Most likely a controls failure. The rocket attitude was clearly abnormal prior to the abort. That could be caused by anything within the control loop, from engine gimbals to sensors to control algorithms.

Since SpaceX says the incident does not impact flight operations, it must be some hardware and/or algorithms that are only present on the test rocket.

I would not be the slightest bit surprised to hear that it was a software issue.

Most likely a controls failure. The rocket attitude was clearly abnormal prior to the abort. That could be caused by anything within the control loop, from engine gimbals to sensors to control algorithms.

Since SpaceX says the incident does not impact flight operations, it must be some hardware and/or algorithms that are only present on the test rocket.

I would not be the slightest bit surprised to hear that it was a software issue.

stupid software engineers and their bugs! Can't anyone get a decent coder around here anymore! ;)

stupid software engineers and their bugs! Can't anyone get a decent coder around here anymore! ;)

Just depends on if the team is having a good week or not!

I have bruised both rear cheeks from kicking my self in the ass after being heads down totally focused on quality shipments of various software releases that worked great in our test environments; to discover the customers security environment layers was totally lying about the real world the software was executing in!!!!