Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RioWest - SpaceX restaurant and retail near Boca Chica

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So the $15.2 million development will include a restaurant, grocery store, retail shops, and a cafe. I presume SpaceX is doing this to try to make the region more inviting for their employees.
That seems to be the prevailing thinking. The Wikipedia article on Boca Chica Village, Texas mentions that Elon wants to incorporate a new city that includes the current Boca Chica Village. It would be called Starbase, Texas. Texas law states that you need 50 voters who are residents of the community in order to incorporate. Those 50 people would need some amenities.

I didn't see anything about needing to stay at 50 residents. Boca Chica only had 26 before SpaceX showed up, and they're at something like 4 permanent residents now.

Once you're formed as a town, the town government can claim eminent domain over private property, provided they compensate the owner. The things you can claim eminent domain for are generally limited to public works, but I'm sure that could be used to shape the area as they like. I wonder if Mary will survive the transition when it comes.

• Informative
Reactions: scaesare

50520 Rio Grande Drive, Brownsville, TX 94107

Restaurant and retail with view of river and presumably the launch site.

Target opening end of 2024 (perhaps + 2 weeks)

Hopefully they do something fun and whimsical with it, like their themed drive-in Supercharger:

1705584831395.png