Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX Starship - Orbital Test Flight - Starbase TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Launch Date: April 20
Launch Window: 8:28am CDT (6:28am PDT, 13:28 UTC) - 62 minute window
Launch site: LC-1? - Starbase, Boca Chica Beach, Texas
Core Booster Recovery: Expended in Gulf
Starship Recovery: Water landing near Hawaii
Booster: Super Heavy Booster 7
Starship: Starship 24
Mass: No mass simulator mentioned
Orbit: LEO-ish
Yearly Launch Number: 26

A SpaceX Super Heavy and Starship launch vehicle will launch on its first orbital test flight. The mission will attempt to travel around the world for nearly one full orbit, resulting in a re-entry and splashdown of the Starship near Hawaii.

Webcast:

Attachments

• 114D7452-0A1B-4E20-96D8-03070063E31C.jpeg
    114D7452-0A1B-4E20-96D8-03070063E31C.jpeg
    184.7 KB · Views: 1,112
Last edited:
Purposeful abort and detonation… is there an acronym for that? Always exciting. I wonder where they internally put the probability of separation complete and landing?

update: i guess they call it AFT… automated flight TERMINATION. I wonder what those charges look like and where.

I guess worse of course would have been blowing up (or needing to be blown up nearby) on the pad, so that infrastructure is saved. Anyone know how many of these they have as secondaries? Time to next launch?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: SO16
Purposeful abort and detonation… is there an acronym for that? Always exciting. I wonder where they internally put the probability of separation complete and landing?
I would guess “very low” probability. Of course it is disappointing that stage sep failed which meant the booster flip and ship engine starts could not be tested.

Primary objective was to launch Super Heavy, which was successful. Now they have lots of real world data to analyze. Overall good job on Space X!
Yes. They know the booster (and stage 0) work which is key.

As most of the engines ignited I'm hopeful they will be able to solve the ignition issues without significant mods to either the engines or stage 0. Fixing the separation issue might be more difficult depending on the failure mode.

Reactions: bfayer62
I know I couldn't appreciate the size of it, but it was pretty amazing to see it launch. Too bad something went wrong with separation but exciting up until the point of the revolving flip. I was watching on my phone and took a couple of screen grabs for the casual reader here not having time to rewatch the launch. Sorry I had cc on 🙄.

120B56DA-2148-49EA-8E0C-458C722993C0.png

D6B5C59E-F4DE-4116-A14B-AEFAC15DC87A.png

CA189506-B732-42B2-8454-32157F9A336C.png

Very cool view.

B1ED6A81-1FC7-4A3B-B945-43634CD10C0C.png

And we got an onboard camera view.

Reactions: Grendal