Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX Starship - Orbital Test Flight - Starbase TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Launch Date: April 20
Launch Window: 8:28am CDT (6:28am PDT, 13:28 UTC) - 62 minute window
Launch site: LC-1? - Starbase, Boca Chica Beach, Texas
Core Booster Recovery: Expended in Gulf
Starship Recovery: Water landing near Hawaii
Booster: Super Heavy Booster 7
Starship: Starship 24
Mass: No mass simulator mentioned
Orbit: LEO-ish
Yearly Launch Number: 26

A SpaceX Super Heavy and Starship launch vehicle will launch on its first orbital test flight. The mission will attempt to travel around the world for nearly one full orbit, resulting in a re-entry and splashdown of the Starship near Hawaii.

Webcast:

Attachments

• 114D7452-0A1B-4E20-96D8-03070063E31C.jpeg
    114D7452-0A1B-4E20-96D8-03070063E31C.jpeg
    184.7 KB · Views: 1,113
Last edited:
I was watching "Everyday Astronaut" post launch on YouTube and they got covered in sand at the condo they are in. I have a funny feeling some "non-SpaceX" fans are going to be complaining. Let's just hope it doesn't cause any more issues for launching. Overall I was super impressed...sometimes things have to go BOOM before they get it right!

Reactions: SO16
I can't be sure but it look like they launched with three raptors out. I don't think that's ok with FAA. Maybe they flamed out after the release...
We see graphics in T+00:00:14 so it's possible.
Why would the FAA care? If it were a requirement, it would be built into the launch sequence.

PEA: "The Super Heavy is expected to be equipped with up to 37 Raptor engines, and the Starship will employ up to six Raptor engines."

How long is it intended to sit on the pad after starting engines? I'm sure it was just seconds but good grief it felt like an eternity. I went from excitement at ignition to screaming "don't blow up on the pad!".
I suspect there were engines out during launch which is why it took so long to clear the tower. That may have also contributed to more launch pad debris being thrown about which may have hit the booster in a cascading chain of events.

We are all still mystified why the launch tower is as basic as it is to not mitigate this kind stuff. Was there even a deluge system?

Reactions: Grendal and tivoboy
I suspect there were engines out during launch which is why it took so long to clear the tower. That may have also contributed to more launch pad debris being thrown about which may have hit the booster in a cascading chain of events.

We are all still mystified why the launch tower is as basic as it is to not mitigate this kind stuff. Was there even a deluge system?
Pieces of deluge system have been shipped in from Florida, but not installed yet.

Reactions: Grendal
I can't be sure but it look like they launched with three raptors out. I don't think that's ok with FAA. Maybe they flamed out after the release...
We see graphics in T+00:00:14 so it's possible.
Here’s a series of screen captures showing the progressing number of engine failures. The first image is just a few seconds after the flight data graphic was first displayed. So we don’t know much before that moment when the first 3 engines failed; before clamps were released? Don’t know yet.

229A8381-FC72-4B64-AB3E-E3E7201ECEFC.jpeg
35CBD1A9-3294-492B-9012-6096F2562402.jpeg
79234B11-9136-4662-909F-88CBC75A7559.jpeg
0F8AC648-857E-41CB-AF46-7BBBE95D4E70.jpeg

There is some speculation that more than 6 engines failed, but that is the highest number that SpaceX indicated during the flight.

I do find it curious that the webcast hosts waited so long after the vehicle was clearly out of control before saying anything was wrong.

And I am surprised that the ATFS did not activate earlier; the vehicle had tumbled multiple times before the RUD.

Last edited:
At this point, just based on publicly available visual evidence, I find it unlikely that SpaceX will manage more than 2 additional test flights this year, and maybe only one. They may be hardware rich, but the surface below the OLM is going to need a lot of work, and the tank farm may need more protection. Will the not-yet-installed deluge system be capable of handling the exhaust before and during liftoff?

Given the large number of vehicles that are nearly complete or in production, I’m wondering if SpaceX will have to slow down the production rate.