Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX F9 - Comm Crew DM-2 - LC-39A

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah. I guess Doug is the one to hit the abort?
Well, I suspect the software can detect an abort situation more rapidly and respond more quickly than any human can.

I’m not saying that the crew is completely useless during a Dragon mission to the ISS, only that the spacecraft is being controlled by the mission software and ground controllers.

In another thread in this subforum I posted about watching the Apollo 13 mission at Apollo 13 in Real Time . Even during a nominal mission the crew had plenty to do, and during the emergency the crew provided critical information to ground control (and vice versa) because the telemetry could not provide Houston with everything the ground wanted to know.

Humans obviously played critical roles on 20th century spacecraft. In the 21st century their role onboard will be much more limited. Which is not to say that every mission doesn’t need a commander. Someone has to be in charge in space. And on Mars missions, when the comm lag is so much greater, the commanders role will be much more important than on missions to the ISS.

Last edited:
Reactions: e-FTW and Grendal
During the first day in orbit I wouldn't be surprised if they schedule some 'hands on' pitch, roll, and yaw maneuvers. It would be a good thing for future crews to know how Crew Dragon responds compared to the Hawthorne simulator. Although remote, the most likely unscheduled manual intervention with the spacecraft might occur in conjunction with any potential problem during the ISS docking phase.

Aboard DM-2 they might not share rank. To be fair, perhaps Bob and Doug can get equal time operating the Canadarm.;)

Well, I suspect the software can detect an abort situation more rapidly and respond more quickly than any human can.

I’m not saying that the crew is completely useless during a Dragon mission to the ISS, only that the spacecraft is being controlled by the mission software and ground controllers.

In another thread in this subforum I posted about watching the Apollo 13 mission at Apollo 13 in Real Time . Even during a nominal mission the crew had plenty to do, and during the emergency the crew provided critical information to ground control (and vice versa) because the telemetry could not provide Houston with everything the ground wanted to know.

Humans obviously played critical roles on 20th century spacecraft. In the 21st century their role onboard will be much more limited. Which is not to say that every mission doesn’t need a commander. Someone has to be in charge in space. And on Mars missions, when the comm lag is so much greater, the commanders role will be much more important than on missions to the ISS.
My comment was in jest. ;-)
I absolutely agree that most abort scenarios are likely fully automated, it’s just that there is still a manual abort switch in the middle of the panel.

Your post has me thinking about Avenue 5. As a caricature of what a trip (cruise) to deep space might be like. In reality, automation does not remove the need for crew in all but the most basic and controlled transportation (like say an airport train). Jet liners have massive amounts of automation and yet have a strict crew requirements.
Still, if you have not watched Avenue 5, do so it is a trip.

Reactions: Mo City
Not when something breaks...
My comment was in jest. ;-)
Sorry, I missed that. Emoticons can be helpful. ;)

Agreed that terrestrial aircraft need crews even though almost the entire flight can be handled by the plane’s software. Humans can fly planes manually if the need arises. And in space there can be a need for humans to take control when things go very wrong. As an example, see https://www.nasa.gov/feature/geminis-first-docking-turns-to-wild-ride-in-orbit

But that was the last century. With modern spacecraft I suspect the need for human piloting is close to zero. Today’s spacecraft can be entirely controlled by the ground and their onboard software, as was demonstrated by the recent Crew Dragon mission. There are no more physical flight controls in the spacecraft that can only be operated by a human.

I hope the press briefings provide more detail about piloting roles. Especially on a test mission, I don't think Bob and Doug want to end up as spam in a can. NASA (certainly inside the astronaut corps) will likely want a segment of DM-2 to be partially hand flown. Although full motion simulators are extremely realistic, they typically don't behave the same as the real thing. Also, the lack of zero gravity during training can't be duplicated on the ground. I think most pilots would agree, the good news is that sims are usually more difficult to fly than the actual aircraft.

Crew Dragon software should provide for precision autonomous flying. During those brief opportunities when crews fly manually, tapping on a touchscreen is all that's necessary. I would argue that this technique is perhaps better than using a joystick. Touchscreen taps will give the pilots immediate feedback. Pilot inputs can be visually verified and the spacecraft response quickly evaluated. I'd be happy to hear a defense of the joystick from those thinking differently, including anyone who might prefer Boeing's old school Starliner.

Reactions: Grendal
Here's the schedule for tomorrow's press briefings. All the listed times are EDT. They can be viewed either on NASA TV or at NASA Live.
| NASA
https://www.nasa.gov/nasalive
May 1, Friday

SpaceX Demonstration Mission 2 (DM2) Pre-Launch Briefings

11 a.m. – Commercial Crew and International Space Station overview news conference with the following participants:
  • NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine
  • Kathy Lueders, program manager, Commercial Crew Program, NASA’s Kennedy Space Center
  • Kirk Shireman, program manager, International Space Station Program, NASA’s Johnson Space Center
  • Gwynne Shotwell, president and chief operating officer, SpaceX
12:30 p.m. – Mission Overview news conference with the following participants:
  • Steve Stich, deputy manager, Commercial Crew Program, NASA’s Johnson Space Center
  • Zeb Scoville, NASA Demo-2 flight director, Flight Operations Directorate, NASA’s Johnson Space Center
  • Benji Reed, director of crew mission management, SpaceX
2 p.m. – Crew news conference with the following participants:
  • Astronaut Robert Behnken, joint operations commander, NASA’s SpaceX Demo-2 mission
  • Astronaut Douglas Hurley, spacecraft commander, NASA’s SpaceX Demo-2 mission
3:30 p.m. – Round-Robin interviews with the crew members:
  • Behnken and Hurley will be available for a limited number of remote interviews

• Informative
Reactions: e-FTW and Grendal
I didn't catch all of today's press briefings, but here's a few brief takeaways.
Bob and Doug will fly to Florida on May 16th. Although they've already been practicing social distancing, once in Florida they'll be quarantined until the May 27th launch. This precaution is actually in line with NASA's past crew procedures. A backup launch date of May 30th was mentioned.
On the second day of the mission Crew Dragon will initially approach within 150 meters of the ISS. As explained by one of the NASA JSC managers, the astronauts will then take some time to test fly the vehicle manually. He said they'd be getting some "stick time". (Wonder if Chuck Yeager can loan them an old broom handle?) Final approach will use software to automatically dock with the ISS.
There was a wide date range given for the mission duration. Anywhere from one month to 119 days. Length of stay is largely contingent on the readiness of the Crew-1 astronauts and the vehicle.
Probably within the next few hours there will be more details highlighted by media outlets like The Verge or ars technica.
There was another SpaceX milestone reached earlier today. The final Mark 3 parachute drop test was successfully completed.