Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Space Tugs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

scaesare

Mar 14, 2013
NoVA
So we have a Non-SpaceX Launch Vehicles thread, but this is a Non-SpaceX Additional Stage, so it would seem a different category, hence the new thread...

Tom Mueller, has moved on from SpaceX, where he developed the Merlin engine, to Impulse. Here's an interesting Ars article discussing Helios, a space tug they are developing to give medium lift vehicles like Falcon 9 the ability to launch stuff into geostationary orbit...

TLDR: What is a space tug?

Helios sounds like just a third stage. I don't know if there is any accepted definition of a tug, but I would expect that after a tug has moved a satellite from, say, LEO to GEO, that the tug can leave the satellite there, return to LEO, and then move a different satellite to yet another orbit. Rinse and repeat. I'm all for "you gotta start somewhere". But after reading the Ars article that you linked to I'm not seeing how this is an initial step. It sounds like an additional stage and no more.

Helios sounds like just a third stage.
That's the way Tom Mueller describes it. It's a third stage that sits inside the Falcon 9 fairing.

Tom also says that Helios' 5 tons to GEO on a Terran R is "most of what a Falcon Heavy will do", yet a Falcon Heavy can get 16.8 tons to Mars Transfer Orbit, which is almost all of the delta-v required for GEO. A Falcon 9 has gotten 3 tons dry mass to GEO (Telsar 19V), and that was with a drone ship landing.

It's not exactly a compelling business case, but I guess cheaper is cheaper.

I would expect that after a tug has moved a satellite from, say, LEO to GEO, that the tug can leave the satellite there, return to LEO, and then move a different satellite to yet another orbit. Rinse and repeat. I'm all for "you gotta start somewhere". But after reading the Ars article that you linked to I'm not seeing how this is an initial step.
I agree with your definition of "tug", but it's a first step just because they're carving out the role for this type of vehicle (along with Blue Origin and probably others). For now, it's a disposable vehicle that is launched with each payload. In time, it'll be an independent vehicle that sits on orbit and completes many round trips with many payloads. Without Helios doing this, we'd continue to integrate the delivery hardware with the payloads themselves. It's part of the trend of moving beyond bespoke satellites.

Next: moving beyond bespoke exploration probes, rovers and such

I suppose if SpaceX gets their orbital refueling station figured out, this would be even better. But not sure if the fuel is the same, as SpaceX would use methane and oxygen.

For those who didn't read the linked article:

Helios will be powered by one of the most robust in-space engines ever built, named Deneb. It is on par with the venerable RL-10 engine manufactured by Aerojet and will have a thrust of 15,000 pounds (67 kN), and be powered by liquid oxygen and liquid methane. The fuel choice is partly a nod to the reusable future of spaceflight that Impulse Space hopes to tap into. "SpaceX needs 1,000 [metric] tons to refuel Starship," he said. "Just give us a sip. We'll take our 14 tons, and we'll be glad to pay for it. And we can continue to reuse these."

For those who didn't read the linked article:
Helios will be powered by one of the most robust in-space engines ever built, named Deneb. It is on par with the venerable RL-10 engine manufactured by Aerojet and will have a thrust of 15,000 pounds (67 kN), and be powered by liquid oxygen and liquid methane. The fuel choice is partly a nod to the reusable future of spaceflight that Impulse Space hopes to tap into. "SpaceX needs 1,000 [metric] tons to refuel Starship," he said. "Just give us a sip. We'll take our 14 tons, and we'll be glad to pay for it. And we can continue to reuse these."

Very cool. I've thought this was an important move for a long time. A permanent tug for moving things around in orbit. Starship can drop off large payloads in LEO. To have such a massive ship then add the delta V for a GEO satellite to get to GEO (or even GTO) is an enormous waste of fuel. A reusable tug seems like an important tool in the Starship future.

That's the way Tom Mueller describes it. It's a third stage that sits inside the Falcon 9 fairing.

Tom also says that Helios' 5 tons to GEO on a Terran R is "most of what a Falcon Heavy will do", yet a Falcon Heavy can get 16.8 tons to Mars Transfer Orbit, which is almost all of the delta-v required for GEO. A Falcon 9 has gotten 3 tons dry mass to GEO (Telsar 19V), and that was with a drone ship landing.

It's not exactly a compelling business case, but I guess cheaper is cheaper.

Not only cheaper, but faster and more flexible. Falcon 9 compatibility means access to a vehicle with very high launch cadence that could make launch scheduling _much_ easier.

Reactions: Grendal
Very cool. I've thought this was an important move for a long time. A permanent tug for moving things around in orbit. Starship can drop off large payloads in LEO. To have such a massive ship then add the delta V for a GEO satellite to get to GEO (or even GTO) is an enormous waste of fuel. A reusable tug seems like an important tool in the Starship future.

Yep. Starship really isn't built to put satellites into GTO, or really any orbit that's not LEO without refueling. A persistent on orbit tug would be an excellent complement for earth orbit transfers that aren't mega-mass. Such a solution could also enable operators to check out their high orbit satellites in LEO, (not a huge benefit right now, but could potentially better enable servicing/disposal should something not work)...and another upside is retrieval of dead sats from GEO on a return flight (aspirationally bringing them back to the ground with SS, since no GEO is built for re-entry demisability). One could also imagine a small fleet of tugs providing altitude services such that if one tug were to crap out another one could provide the customer their paid-for service. Getting dropped off in the wrong orbit is pretty infrequent these days, but raising as a service would significantly mitigate that risk.

Gut feel says 0deg inclination is the right place for such a tug (at least for GEO or equatorial MEO constellations like mPower), making SS do the inclination turn on the way up. We're still a long way from Starship becoming commercially viable let alone enabling a material shift in GEO philosophy of course, but this kind of solution could eventually allow manufacturers to throttle back the level of exquisite parts and redundancy schemes used on the sats, and thus lower the cost of the satellites (and ideally also shorten the planned lifespan so the frequency refresh increases). Pair with the persistent GEO platform concept and it could revitalize GEO. On the flip side, the downside (if you want to call it that) is that Starlink and follow-on internet constellations are fast obsoleting the value of GEO, so there might not actually be a huge market for rides to 36k km as time moves on.

This particular Helios solution is indeed "just" a kick/orbital stage. While it's certainly true that one has to start somewhere and this is vital tech for them to validate, the real difficulty in a tug is not making the propulsion unit or even making it survive in space for more than a few days--technology obviously exists to make things last for years if not decades in space. The difficulty is in the complexity of the LEO transfers onto the tug (the payload/satellite and the propellant), and that's going to require a LOT of development to get to the point where its a salable product.

Time will tell if they can get this there. To-date, concepts like kick stages or direct-to-GEO lifts aren't widely used because building more delta V into the satellite and potentially also waiting for an electric satellite to get where its going (which for a comm sat is effectively lost revenue) is generally more cost efficient. But...It does feel like they have something up their sleeve with the 15k lb thrust, so maybe this really is just an early stepping stone? 15,000lb is literally like two orders of magnitude bigger than the main thruster on [chemical] GEO sats that does the orbit raising from GTO.

Bit of a nit at the marketing department here, but it's also worth adding some color to the "GEO in a day" tagline: The vast majority of GEOs in the history of GEO have only taken a day to get there. Only in recent years where satellites have started to completely eliminate their chemical propulsion modules in favor of all electric has that duration increased. (It generally takes 3-6 months for an EP satellite in ~GTO to raise and turn and circularize to geosynchronous).