Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Source for production of 1,000 Foundation Series?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you for providing that important detail... Though I'd heard the buyback clause before, this seems to indicate that, if you drive low miles, worst case scenario Tesla would have to buy it back for near purchase price, best case they don't buy it back and you CAN still resell it within a year as long as you make the offer to them first. Of course they could take forever to get back to you, they could try to gouge you on reasonable wear and tear, ... So it is certainly some red tape, but good chance if the demand is still somewhat higher than supply if you decide after 6 months you don't want it and send that letter to Tesla they'd let you resell it and you might still make a small profit...
The main point is that you cannot sell it for a profit. They would stop that, but yes...more than likely you could sell it within the year.

Reactions: bruce3
The main point is that you cannot sell it for a profit. They would stop that, but yes...more than likely you could sell it within the year.
I don't read anything explicitly stating you can't sell it for a profit. Merely that within the first year you must notify them and get their offer to repurchase or their allowance to proceed with the sale... That said, if the market demand is huge such that you WOULD make any significant profit, or you tried to resell it within a couple of months, they'd probably buy it back to prevent that. I've owned 8 EVs, always with the intent of keeping them, but in two cases (Bolt EV and Taycan 4S) I did trade them in within a year (the latter to get my current Model S Plaid when the price dropped significantly and a round steering wheel became an option, still not sure the huge uptick in power and range offsets the worse driving dynamics and ergonomics). I'm not buying these to turn them over, but if I see something more interesting come up I'm not glued to any one car.

I don't read anything explicitly stating you can't sell it for a profit. Merely that within the first year you must notify them and get their offer to repurchase or their allowance to proceed with the sale... That said, if the market demand is huge such that you WOULD make any significant profit, or you tried to resell it within a couple of months, they'd probably buy it back to prevent that. I've owned 8 EVs, always with the intent of keeping them, but in two cases (Bolt EV and Taycan 4S) I did trade them in within a year (the latter to get my current Model S Plaid when the price dropped significantly and a round steering wheel became an option, still not sure the huge uptick in power and range offsets the worse driving dynamics and ergonomics). I'm not buying these to turn them over, but if I see something more interesting come up I'm not glued to any one car.
Basically they can buy it back minus mileage and wear and tear if there's a significant secondary market. They won't allow you to buy and sell for profit in year 1. That's the entire point of the clause. If you get a Foundation Series and they start selling the non-Foundation, depreciating those, at a good rate...they would likely turn down the re-purchase, but if they are still supply constrained, you are probably going to lose money from them. That's the point of this.

As long as you buy without hope that you will make money from selling it, you'll be fine.

I got my "Limited Edition" Foundation Series Invite two days ago, did an online chat with Tesla rep today as to (1) Is there any specific definition to what "Limited" means? (2) If I don't click through with my non-refundable Foundation Series $1000 deposit, will I remain in the very early part of the queue I am in for a non-Foundation CT? and (3) Are there any limitations on resale. The rep had NO INFORMATION on (1) how limited it was and (3) resale limitations, and said (2) If I don't take the Foundation Series offer I do keep my place in line for after Foundation Series run is over...

View attachment 1014421
IMO, Tesla will sell only FSCT until their GigaTexas can make more FSCTs than they have orders for. The FSCT is not a limited edition. If you wanted to get a new CT in 2024, it is already too late to order. Just like the original reservation list, Tesla has too many orders to fill in 2024 than they can make.

Is there an official Tesla source saying there will only be 1,000 Foundation Series Cybertrucks or is this all conjecture based of previous Founders Editions? I've read every word on my Foundation offer email and build page, and see nothing mentioning 1,000 units (or I'm blind). Currently it sounds like there isn't actually a hard cap on production; rather, however many they can sell in an arbitrary amount of time.
Why would Tesla limit the number of Foundation Series CYBERTRUCKS? Ask yourself?

The more individuals they can get to accept the $20,000 Foundation premium, (costing them about $1,000, if that), the more money they can make to cover development costs. It would be like a business shooting itself in the foot to cease.

I wouldn't be surprised if they walked down a good portion of the two million on the waitlist, and sell off as many Foundation Series money milkers as possible. What a way to profit and even increase the exclusivity!

In reality, the dual motor Foundation Series will actually cost $27,600 more than the standard dual motor ($79,900) because of the loss of the tax credit. The price of being the first on the block. That's an expensive emblem. Thoughts?

My friend here reserved on the 4th day after the announcement and his number in line was 73,340. He already received notification that his CYBERTRUCK will be delivered between January and March 2024.

I reserved on the 6th day after the announcement and my number is 190,385. I don't even expect to be offered a Foundation Series until mid-2025. You can see that if they exhaust the list for Foundation Series first just how long the wait will be.

Executives at Tesla reportedly told media that they would soon sell out of all builds for 2024. (All FOUNDATION and at least already past 73,340 customers on the list). So, if you have hopes to get a standard dual motor this year, forget it. Tesla Cybertruck wait times shorter than expected, almost sold out for 2024

Musk did say they are expensive to make, and they had to make up the revenue somewhere. Dealers are telling people that if you refuse the Foundation Series, you go back in line in your place behind all of the others waiting for the standard dual motor and you are going to be waiting for a long time.

Hey, to make matters worse. After they fill the Foundation series orders, they could crank up the Tri-motor production and sell off all of those to people on the list. I know, not encouraging, but real. Don't shoot the messenger. If I was their CEO, that is what I would do. Remember, brand loyalty doesn't hold much weight. When I told them I was buying my 9th Tesla, their response was, "So".

We saw the first customer CYBERTRUCK come off the truck in Merritt Island, Florida yesterday, and I witnessed two of them on a truck headed South on I-95 toward Miami. They looked a bit muddy. (Of course, they had an RC Cybertruck at SPACE X and a couple to train mechanics here on how to work on them).

I was told one local man has been notified of the pending delivery of his six (6) CYBERTRUCKS here. Reportedly close friend already has one that he is renting on TURO for $1000 a day and it is booked out through June. Entrepeneur much. Make hay while the sun shines.

Good luck to all of us with reservations. I think I will be putting quite a few more miles on my Model Y. I considered another X while I waited, but no tax credit without accepting a black interior, and now the only color that meets the tax credit is grey (looks like primer to me, just my opinion).

I took two of my friends with high CYBERTRUCK reservation numbers down to the dealer, and they each bought a Model Y with their $1,000 discount while they are ladies in waiting for their trucks. Years, brothers and sisters, more years.

Attachments

• 20240210_115112.jpg
    20240210_115112.jpg
    448 KB · Views: 36
  • 20240210_115159.jpg
    20240210_115159.jpg
    351.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 20240210_115203.jpg
    20240210_115203.jpg
    322.1 KB · Views: 19
Did you know? Tesla employees have priority for CYBERTRUCK deliveries.
I spoke with one when I took my friend to pick up his new Model Y.

He said he ordered 7 months ago. Began working at Tesla and was offered a Foundation Series last week. Can't afford it.

He also said that after the initial batch, the RN numbers are random and the subtraction method doesn't work to determine your place in line.
I'm unsure I believe that because the orders being filled seem to follow the RN numbers.

Tesla is hiring and they offered me a job. :cool: Hmmm.

Did you know? Tesla employees have priority for CYBERTRUCK deliveries.
I spoke with one when I took my friend to pick up his new Model Y.

He said he ordered 7 months ago. Began working at Tesla and was offered a Foundation Series last week. Can't afford it.

He also said that after the initial batch, the RN numbers are random and the subtraction method doesn't work to determine your place in line.
I'm unsure I believe that because the orders being filled seem to follow the RN numbers.

Tesla is hiring and they offered me a job. :cool: Hmmm.

So I assume that means that any employee that wanted a Cybertruck already has theirs, since you indicate that they have priority. Something tells me that this isn't quite so.

The one thing that you can assume about most Tesla employees is that they know less than the rest of us.

So I assume that means that any employee that wanted a Cybertruck already has theirs, since you indicate that they have priority. Something tells me that this isn't quite so.

The one thing that you can assume about most Tesla employees is that they know less than the rest of us.
As of Feb 8, 2024, the average hourly pay for the Tesla Sales jobs category in the United States is $19.05 an hour. About $40k a year.

At that wage, there aren't going to be a bevy of Tesla sales employees plunking down $100k for a CYBERTRUCK. The "kid" said there are NO employee discounts, and he is happy with his Model Y. The payment likely consumes a third to half of his budget.

Nevertheless, he said he reserved his CYBERTRUCK seven months ago, and he showed me his invite, which he received last week. He told me that he didn't want to pay $27,500 more for the dual motor vehicle. He likely declined the invite because he couldn't afford it. He probably didn't even have his Driver's license, when I put in my reservation on the sixth day after at the announcement.

As a retired person, with nothing better or more fun to do, I'll let you know more if I decide to apply. I suspect one has to work a minimum period of time, say six months, before your "employee" benefits kick in.

It's always free to ask.

As of Feb 8, 2024, the average hourly pay for the Tesla Sales jobs category in the United States is $19.05 an hour. About $40k a year.

At that wage, there aren't going to be a bevy of Tesla sales employees plunking down $100k for a CYBERTRUCK. The "kid" said there are NO employee discounts, and he is happy with his Model Y. The payment likely consumes a third to half of his budget.

Nevertheless, he said he reserved his CYBERTRUCK seven months ago, and he showed me his invite, which he received last week. He told me that he didn't want to pay $27,500 more for the dual motor vehicle. He likely declined the invite because he couldn't afford it. He probably didn't even have his Driver's license, when I put in my reservation on the sixth day after at the announcement.

As a retired person, with nothing better or more fun to do, I'll let you know more if I decide to apply. I suspect one has to work a minimum period of time, say six months, before your "employee" benefits kick in.

It's always free to ask.
No need to apply to work at Tesla. Got my notification for a 1 April to 1 June Delivery. Hopefully, delivery won't be affected by the assembly line shut down for seven days for issues relating to accelerator lubricant. 12 hour shifts are being cut to 11 hours (day) and 10.5 hours (night).