Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sound system lost it's "punch" after latest update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I see posts like this (and there are tons of them) it makes me think the whole problem doesn’t even exist (surely for this person anyway) and people are just looking for problems to find and think they are finding them.

My system has always worked fine and will always lose a ton of bass when I fade to rear because the door speakers in front are your primary source of mid bass (which is often the bulk of where most bass is).

If you don’t lose a lot of bass when you fade back, your system is broken. It is a design flaw in the balance logic, but it is the way it is. It should leave lower frequencies on the only drivers that provide it regardless of balance position. But it does not do that. But who cares. Who would ever fade it all the way back for normal listening.

The issue is when its 'broken' there is absolutely zero bass with the balance set all the way to the back. When its working properly, you can absolutely still hear the subwoofer hitting the frequencies that its supposed to. It would be very easy to show an example of the problem if the temporary fixes also worked consistently. Its night and day.

The issue is when its 'broken' there is absolutely zero bass with the balance set all the way to the back. When its working properly, you can absolutely still hear the subwoofer hitting the frequencies that its supposed to. It would be very easy to show an example of the problem if the temporary fixes also worked consistently. Its night and day.

Yeah, but he also said it “improved”. What happened to “night and day”.

Yeah, but he also said it “improved”. What happened to “night and day”.

I get what you're saying, and agree with your original post to an extent. A lot of the results will be different based on the source material.

I always use Starboy by the weekend because I know how hard the bass in that song hits the sub when it's working properly. If you play that song and fade all the way to the back the trunk will continue to bump and rattle at full blast. When the 'bug' is occurring, its nothing more then a mild hum.

I get what you're saying, and agree with your original post to an extent. A lot of the results will be different based on the source material.

I always use Starboy by the weekend because I know how hard the bass in that song hits the sub when it's working properly. If you play that song and fade all the way to the back the trunk will continue to bump and rattle at full blast. When the 'bug' is occurring, its nothing more then a mild hum.

I understand what your saying. I think because a lot of music does have a lot of mid bass content. This fade test is very easy to misinterpret.

What I also don’t get based on your description is the “transistor radio” comments by some folks (not you). Even with the sub out of commission. It would hardly sound like a transistor radio. And I believe I’ve seen comments of transistor radio with no mention of fading back in the same post.

I understand what your saying. I think because a lot of music does have a lot of mid bass content. This fade test is very easy to misinterpret.

What I also don’t get based on your description is the “transistor radio” comments by some folks (not you). Even with the sub out of commission. It would hardly sound like a transistor radio. And I believe I’ve seen comments of transistor radio with no mention of fading back in the same post.

I’ve said similar to this and the reasoning is that if you go from a proper home audio system and then listen to the same song on a clock radio the phenomenon is the same. Obviously the 3 sounds better than a clock radio in its neutered mode but the contrast delta is the point.

The really irritating thing here is that the Model 3 has an *amazing* sound system when it’s working properly. To my ears it sounds better than the Mark Levinson in the Lexus LS or the system in the RR Ghost. When it flips to clock radio mode it sounds no better than my 2015 Kia Soul. It sounds okay, but that’s not the system I purchased last April.

Reactions: mswlogo
I’ve said similar to this and the reasoning is that if you go from a proper home audio system and then listen to the same song on a clock radio the phenomenon is the same. Obviously the 3 sounds better than a clock radio in its neutered mode but the contrast delta is the point.

The really irritating thing here is that the Model 3 has an *amazing* sound system when it’s working properly. To my ears it sounds better than the Mark Levinson in the Lexus LS or the system in the RR Ghost. When it flips to clock radio mode it sounds no better than my 2015 Kia Soul. It sounds okay, but that’s not the system I purchased last April.
So did 48.12.1 fix it for you? I’m on 48.1 and bass still seems super mild

I still have this issue as well. Most of the time the sound is fine, but then all of a sudden it will sound like the bass has been silenced. I fooled around with the balance and figured out what is happening is that the back speakers including the sub all turn off leaving only the front speakers playing. This may have been explained in earlier posts, just haven't read through them all.

Restarting the screen or leaving the car for a few minutes fixes it for me, but it would be nice if this issue was fixed once and for all. I did submit a bug report.

Edit: I am on the latest software, 48.12.1

I still have this issue as well. Most of the time the sound is fine, but then all of a sudden it will sound like the bass has been silenced. I fooled around with the balance and figured out what is happening is that the back speakers including the sub all turn off leaving only the front speakers playing. This may have been explained in earlier posts, just haven't read through them all.

Restarting the screen or leaving the car for a few minutes fixes it for me, but it would be nice if this issue was fixed once and for all. I did submit a bug report.

Edit: I am on the latest software, 48.12.1

Curious that when it happens, is it like in the middle of song, poof it's gone? Or is it the next time you get in and drive you notice it's missing.

One annoying bug with the system is that when I'm cruising along and some bass heavy tune blasting, if the system switches to "Hands Free Audio" (meaning a phone ring or I call someone), when it switches BACK to the Radio, the "Auto Speed Volume Thingy" (which I hate with passion on any car) has the Radio momentary set to MAX Volume. And then it immediately reduces it. Now I'm assuming it's the "Auto Speed Volume Thingy" and it may not be (regardless it's an annoying bug). But the engineer in me says it likely is. In that the system that adjusts volume based on speed or background noise doesn't realize a call is in progress and jacks the radio volume up to max during the "phone call". When the phone call is over it automatically adjusts it back down.

I worry I'm gonna blow something and sometimes wonder if some people have and it's protection circuit (as mentioned by a couple posts) that has tripped and needs to be reset.

This bug is particularly annoying if you use Apps on an iPhone that are capable of using "Hands Free Audio" so that they can "cut in" to what your listening to regardless of what the source is set to. Waze, Google Maps, V1Driver (Radar Detector App) all offer this and I have it enabled on all of them. So they cut in more often than a typical phone call and they typically only cut in for a short phrase (e.g. "Road Hazard Ahead in Left Lane", followed by momentary blasting of music).

I doubt this is related because I don't have the bass loss issue and I stress it a lot with this bug and the apps I run. But any phone paired will do it for a real phone transaction when it completes.

For folks that do have the issue of lost bass come and go, when it's working, try lowering your bass and/or volume to see if the "fix" sticks. I know that's not a fix but it might be a useful data point to figure out what's going on. My suggestion is not folks that think their system is a "little better" or a "little worse" one day to the next. It's for folks that believe the rear amp intermittently shut down which covers the sub and rear speakers.