Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sound at high power

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The noise is produced by the helical gears and is actually common in gears of this type across many applications at high speeds. Therefore it's a perfectly normal sound in the MS--some make and sound and others don't--luck of the draw I suppose, but it doesn't affect performance or safety whatsoever. I like it personally--kind of makes it sound like you're going into Hyperdrive! (feels like it too!!!).

Last edited:
Have to disagree on the gears. I have that annoying balloon above 200KW acceleration. Had the drive unit replaced for another fault. Immediately after still makes the same annoying balloon whistle. Just started a couple hundred miles ago around 4500.
Went right back and tech says they have engineering notes about that. It's the contacters and states it makes the balloon sound which is normal. Sigh
Wish there was a cure instead of driving a P85 like a 60

I'd rather not have the squeal, but it's many orders of magnitude less loud and obnoxious than the sound of any comparably performing gas car. A gas car howls like a banshee being tortured with a jackhammer under acceleration and people don't blink an eye. To each his own, I guess.

True. I just miss the quietness I have had and now it sounds like something is broken. I guess no more advertising demo rides unless the radio is on. Everything else is great but this has been a real letdown. Maybe if I knew about it beforehand but I never heard of it until I experienced it. Maybe I can spray WD-40 somewhere LOL

This is a video with sound - but the picture is black because I put the camera in the back seat while driving to get it closer to the sound source. The sound I'm talking about is heard at two places - about 11 seconds in and 17 seconds in.

My P85 totally makes this sound. I think of it as a little hamster having its neck strangled unless it makes the car go faster.

Most people on demo rides still swear the car is totally silent... they just don't know what to listen for. Once you've had the car 5 months like me, you know all the sounds (including the #1 Bad Boy, the turn signal woodblock)

That air-out-of-balloon sound you're playing is coming from the motor/invertor area, for sure... and it's louder if the back seat is down, and it's louder if you have the parcel shelf removed. Also it is more distinct if you have the solid roof, since the car interior is quieter and you can discern more sounds.

Last edited by a moderator:
True. I just miss the quietness I have had and now it sounds like something is broken. I guess no more advertising demo rides unless the radio is on. Everything else is great but this has been a real letdown. Maybe if I knew about it beforehand but I never heard of it until I experienced it. Maybe I can spray WD-40 somewhere LOL

That states it exactly how I feel about it. I miss my old quiet Tesla.

I personally don't believe the "nothing is wrong" statement by Tesla, but time will tell. If its a problem, its going to get worse - cars don't heal themselves. Mine has started squealing at takeoff, even a slow easy one. It seems to happen after I get to work, after the car has been driven 30 miles.

Mark, wait until you get the "wheel bearing going bad" noise (if you get it). That's far worse IMO. I'm on my second drive unit and Joer000 is on his 4th unit (@ 30k)! Tesla really need to get a grip on these noises, especially this one. I hope they sort it out before the warranty period is up or else I predict a nice little 3rd party side line business in extra noise damping for Model S's in the future.