Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sorry quick question about full self driving retro fit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Tesla is a Feb built 2017 75D AP 2 and MCU 1. I just dropped it off to get the AP 3 retrofit to full self driving. 15 mins after I dropped the car off they said it was done? Is this possible? I thought there was a wire in’s harness and some hardware to install. Please help they want me to come pick up the car. Thank you.

If you didn't pay for the MCU upgrade its possible that it could have only taken 15 minutes. I dont have FSD so I can't say from experience but the MCU upgrade is more of a heavy lift then the AP computer upgrade from my understanding.

Unlikely.... I too have a similar vintage S90D that I recently had updated to MCU2 and AP3. Thats took only one day (excellent service) and the cost was the $2500+tax for the MCU2 update.

Did you have them only install the AP3 and retain your MCU1? If so let us know how it works!

Reactions: croman
Unlikely.... I too have a similar vintage S90D that I recently had updated to MCU2 and AP3. Thats took only one day (excellent service) and the cost was the $2500+tax for the MCU2 update.

Did you have them only install the AP3 and retain your MCU1? If so let us know how it works!

I asked to do the MCU 1 to 2 infotainment upgrade for $2500 but they did not wan to do it. For some bizarre reason. So just the AP 2 to Ap 3 retrofit. I find it strange that a wire harness and hardware upgrade took 10 min? thanks for your reply!

I asked to do the MCU 1 to 2 infotainment upgrade for $2500 but they did not wan to do it. For some bizarre reason. So just the AP 2 to Ap 3 retrofit. I find it strange that a wire harness and hardware upgrade took 10 min? thanks for your reply!
Well, likely reason for them saying no to MCU2 upgrade is they are back ordered. It took almost four weeks (with three scheduled delays to my original appointment) until the part came in. THEN it was all done in one day. At least Tesla was very good communicating with me (mostly via text updates) as the schedule was delayed.

Reactions: croman and Kinetics
Hi Kinetics,

From that time, a fair guess could be they only activated the software on your
old hardware. It seems to me that is the only quantity of work that would fit into 15 minutes.
Taking the dash apart and removing the glove box to put in the new computer
would be longer than 15 minutes.
It usually takes longer than 15 minutes to install the firmware AFTER the AP3 hardware upgrade.
If you don't mind posting an invoice - You could get better ideas...

Shawn

Hi Kinetics,

From that time, a fair guess could be they only activated the software on your
old hardware. It seems to me that is the only quantity of work that would fit into 15 minutes.
Taking the dash apart and removing the glove box to put in the new computer
would be longer than 15 minutes.
It usually takes longer than 15 minutes to install the firmware AFTER the AP3 hardware upgrade.
If you don't mind posting an invoice - You could get better ideas...

Shawn
Hey Shawn thanks
upload_2020-7-21_13-4-53.png

Hi Kinetics,

That is amazing - They must be lightning fast...
The only other triple check you could do would be to look
under the "additional vehicle information" on the Software screen.
It should show the "Full Self Driving Computer" as shown below...

Additional Info.jpg

Shawn

Reactions: Kinetics
Hi Kinetics,

That is amazing - They must be lightning fast...
The only other triple check you could do would be to look
under the "additional vehicle information" on the Software screen.
It should show the "Full Self Driving Computer" as shown below...

View attachment 567225

Shawn
Hahaha yes must be. My car says full self driving computer in that same place. I am still a little suspect, but hopping all is well. Thanks again

Thanks for the reply’s everyone. I happen to have a separate dash cam that was still recording. It just runs and I forgot to shut it off. I know that’s a no no. They did bring a small unit and harness over and install it behind the glove compartment area. The cam faces forward so I did not see that much. I now have stop signs and traffic lights showing up in the dash over the wheel. Also I have Tesla’s dash and repeater cams that download to usb stick. Now just trying to figure out when they will allow me to order the infotainment upgrade.
Everything seems to run ok with MCU 1. Maps are a little slower. Autopilot works the same for me.
cheers

For our 2017 S 100D (AP2/MCU1), the FSD computer upgrade was done by a mobile service vehicle at our house, and didn't take very long.

The item that took the longest time was waiting to get the software update downloaded that enabled the new FSD computer.

After the FSD computer was installed, our technician asked if he could leave and move onto the next appointment while the FSD software was downloading and installing - and came back after that was finished to do a final test and finish putting the dashboard back together.

I did (AP3 with MCU1) a couple weeks ago. 2017 90D with 5600 miles total. Definitely has slowed my MCU1. Since the FSD upgrade, 3 times I've entered the car and had to wait 30 seconds or so for the MCU to wake up (i have energy savings mode turned OFF). Ive also noticed that my nav directions have a slight delay sometimes, but especially when I first leave the house. Used to immediately tell me to turn left onto a certain street when leaving/before I get to the intersection, now its after I actually turn onto said street, that the nav tells me to turn onto that street.

I had already planned for the MCU2 upgrade later this year anyways, so no huge deal to me.

I had EAP on my 75S 2017, bought FSD for 2500.00, took my car SC, for upgrade, now have Netflix, Hulu, plus stop sign, stop light, back up cameras see both sides of car. Car now also has FSD Computer. I guess I have MCU2 now.

Still confusing. Sounds like you paid for MCU2 upgrade and the SC installed HW3 as well for free
But you don't actually have FSD. Still EAP