Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Sorry, I actually like the new UI :)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been hearing this for years.

I find it amusing how the rearrangement of a few buttons and suddenly Tesla is doomed to the garbage can of automotive manufacturers. Tesla are more in tune with the younger and next generation of drivers than ANY other mass manufacturer. People want games in cars, people want less clutter, people want less buttons (both real and virtual), people want more automation, in short people want change from the traditional. Tesla is one of the very few out there challenging the status quo on these things. Sure it's uncomfortable for the more traditionalist (read older in most cases) but the wager is already set.

If Tesla sales start to falter then I would concede they may have gone too far too soon but current trends certainly don't show that!
The Tesla Supercharger network is the one thing that other carmakers will have the most trouble competing with. From what I see Tesla is extending its advantage for those making long distance trips. Other networks seen to be a long way from having reliable high speed chargers widely available. (I still have doubts that Tesla will open Superchargers to other brands in the near future but who knows.)

The demand for Teslas seems to be very strong in spite of some significant price increases; the wait times have increased quite a bit.

Personally, I've found the audio to be significantly worse - I'm sure it depends on what you listen to and how you use it. It's safer not to talk on the phone while driving so I avoid that as much as possible so the phone is of little consequence. Why does Tesla prioritize phone controls over controls that are necessary for safe driving?
Because that is what most Tesla drivers want. Also, Tesla has ALL the controls necessary for safe driving its just that some people feel they need to see these controls ALL the time. Most people don't need to see them all the time.

Well, those are clearly signs that people don't like the interface. Unless you're deluded
There are clearly signs that some people don't like the interface. Unless someone has done some random sampling of all Tesla owners, there is no reliable information as to what proportion like or dislike v11. All of us can speculate but that is not very productive.

OMGod, good thing I prey devoutly, every time I'm about to be killed to death. Driving home on the freeway at 80 mph this morning it started snowing heavily. Took a full 2 seconds to adjust the wiper speed, half of that time I had to partially avert my eyes from the road. You do the math, for 117.3 feet or so I had less than 100% visibility. And I never look more than 100 feet ahead when driving. Hell, the Tesla can only see 10 feet to the front. Or so I'm told. Close shave that one. All these near-death experiences make me wonder about the future of EVs. I did see a light at the end of a tunnel so there's that.......

Personally, I've found the audio to be significantly worse - I'm sure it depends on what you listen to and how you use it. It's safer not to talk on the phone while driving so I avoid that as much as possible so the phone is of little consequence. Why does Tesla prioritize phone controls over controls that are necessary for safe driving?
I would imagine the phone is a priority to most in a very big way since there are handsfree driving laws in many states now. In contrast, there are not the same laws in place for using your seat heaters, checking tire pressure, adjusting your wipers, etc... So the phone is probably a very important one. I get what you're saying for you personally but we can probably all agree that there are still way too many people actually holding and using their phone while driving still today.

For audio, I use the bluetooth connection to stream XM or iHeart from my phone and have been trying out Tidal too, so it's pretty simple and convenient to switch between the two.

but we can probably all agree that there are still way too many people actually holding and using their phone while driving still today.
What do you mean? It's perfectly safe for me to be talking on the phone while my kid's screaming in the back seat and I'm backing out of a parking space at Target! (Unfortunately, I saw this just yesterday. And the woman had the phone between her ear and shoulder so she couldn't even turn her head. 🤦‍♂️)

It is definitely more convenient to get to the phone; the ironic part is accessing the phone controls before was the same level of difficulty as it is to access functions you actually need while driving now. They made the optional parts easier and the necessary part harder.

Reactions: Sporty and Boza
If Tesla sales start to falter then I would concede they may have gone too far too soon but current trends certainly don't show that!
UI, by itself, will not have such big impact. The trend is concerning. I have not seen any evidence that Tesla is most attuned to the young customers. Do not confuse early adopters, who are usually younger, with the general population. Also, Tesla cars are not necessarily low cost - something that most young drivers could afford.
Tesla now is a different company than it was 5yrs ago. It is not a secret that its valuation is based on expectation not current capabilities. If you look at the number of cars they produce and sell, they are a tiny percentage of what the “big guys” do.
If anything happens it will not be because of the UI itself. Absent alternatives, UI will hardly be a trigger. The trend, however, will create a resentment buildup. Those things take time but, once they start, unravel pretty quickly. Don’t get me wrong, it is very unlikely that Tesla will disappear but this trend will definitely get in a way of them becoming a mass market company.
Here is a Marketing 101 question: Who is their target customer? EV person? FSD person? Gamer? Environmentalist? Enthusiastic driver? Person who wants low maintenance car? “All of the above” is not an answer :)

UI, by itself, will not have such big impact. The trend is concerning. I have not seen any evidence that Tesla is most attuned to the young customers. Do not confuse early adopters, who are usually younger, with the general population. Also, Tesla cars are not necessarily low cost - something that most young drivers could afford.
Tesla now is a different company than it was 5yrs ago. It is not a secret that its valuation is based on expectation not current capabilities. If you look at the number of cars they produce and sell, they are a tiny percentage of what the “big guys” do.
If anything happens it will not be because of the UI itself. Absent alternatives, UI will hardly be a trigger. The trend, however, will create a resentment buildup. Those things take time but, once they start, unravel pretty quickly. Don’t get me wrong, it is very unlikely that Tesla will disappear but this trend will definitely get in a way of them becoming a mass market company.
Here is a Marketing 101 question: Who is their target customer? EV person? FSD person? Gamer? Environmentalist? Enthusiastic driver? Person who wants low maintenance car? “All of the above” is not an answer :)
You really haven't seen any evidence that Tesla is mostly attuned to the younger customer? I have read many complaints from v11 detractors such as "who needs more games?" or "I dont want my car to be an ipad!" and "was this designed by kids for kids"...very telling!

IMO the only people who may resent these changes are possibly drivers who are used to more traditional configurations. New owners, younger drivers and upcoming drivers will, and I think the sales prove/will prove it, are/will be extremely happy with where Tesla is going and what they are doing to disrupt the industry.

I know, right? I called my stockbroker just yesterday and said, "Sell all my Tesla stock and buy Beanie Babies!" That's the future..........

The trend, however, will create a resentment buildup
This is a real danger. A personal recommendation means far more than some writeup in an auto magazine and Tesla owners have been their biggest supporters. Up until a few weeks ago, I was one of them but I have to say I'd hesitate now. There are a lot of people who feel the same way and that can hurt Tesla's sales more than anything else.

Tesla has enjoyed a huge head start in the EV market but other companies are catching up and there are definitely more options now than there were even a year ago. For all the people who say "they other companies will never be as good" I have one word: blackberry.

OMGod, good thing I prey devoutly, every time I'm about to be killed to death. Driving home on the freeway at 80 mph this morning it started snowing heavily. Took a full 2 seconds to adjust the wiper speed, half of that time I had to partially avert my eyes from the road. You do the math, for 117.3 feet or so I had less than 100% visibility. And I never look more than 100 feet ahead when driving. Hell, the Tesla can only see 10 feet to the front. Or so I'm told. Close shave that one. All these near-death experiences make me wonder about the future of EVs. I did see a light at the end of a tunnel so there's that.......
Similar experience here today. Was driving with wipers in auto mode as salt spray from the road started to slowly cover my windshield. I decided to wait to see how long the wipers would go before turning on. They never did. I could see out a tiny portion on the bottom only. Funny thing is, AP seemed fine with this.

This automatic wiper system is really bad, but at least I had no trouble forcing them on with the button on the turn signal stalk in the end. I then set them on 2 for the remainder of the ride. Had to apply washers every 60 seconds or so. Wish there was a feature to auto wash, but I suppose that wouldn’t work either.

How difficult can it be to sense that the windshield is obscured by road spray?

This is a real danger. A personal recommendation means far more than some writeup in an auto magazine and Tesla owners have been their biggest supporters. Up until a few weeks ago, I was one of them but I have to say I'd hesitate now. There are a lot of people who feel the same way and that can hurt Tesla's sales more than anything else.

Tesla has enjoyed a huge head start in the EV market but other companies are catching up and there are definitely more options now than there were even a year ago. For all the people who say "they other companies will never be as good" I have one word: blackberry.
Funny because Apple's touchscreen (iPhone) had the same kind of resistance from the Blackberry crowd that this small little anti-v11 group is trying to claim... who won that battle again? Riiiiight...

Similar experience here today. Was driving with wipers in auto mode as salt spray from the road started to slowly cover my windshield. I decided to wait to see how long the wipers would go before turning on. They never did. I could see out a tiny portion on the bottom only. Funny thing is, AP seemed fine with this.

This automatic wiper system is really bad, but at least I had no trouble forcing them on with the button on the turn signal stalk in the end. I then set them on 2 for the remainder of the ride. Had to apply washers every 60 seconds or so. Wish there was a feature to auto wash, but I suppose that wouldn’t work either.

The auto wipers are pretty bad, true enough. They only come on when you don't need them. But don't worry, I have a class-action lawsuit pending. Join us..........

In some conditions (road spray being a good example), less water ends up building up in the top center of the windshield than the rest of it, resulting in the wipers not wiping enough but the cameras still being able to see. I had a similar problem in my VWs with fancy rain sensing wipers.

Reactions: rjpjnk
In some conditions (road spray being a good example), less water ends up building up in the top center of the windshield than the rest of it, resulting in the wipers not wiping enough but the cameras still being able to see. I had a similar problem in my VWs with fancy rain sensing wipers.
I've never had rain sensing wipers that worked great. My Audi A4 had a system that was pretty good but I wouldn't call it great. Tesla's system is decidedly mediocre.

Funny because Apple's touchscreen (iPhone) had the same kind of resistance from the Blackberry crowd that this small little anti-v11 group is trying to claim... who won that battle again? Riiiiight...
Exactly - Tesla risks becoming a Blackberry if they're not careful.

What you completely fail to realize is no one here is averse to change. By definition, people who buy EVs are open to change. They just aren't brainwashed into thinking all change is good.

Last edited: