Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Something leaking???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So on my way home today, the guy in the lane next to me smashed into a wooden pallet in his lane sending shrapnel flying at the front of my car. I immediately heard dragging and had to pull over. Pieces of the pallet had broken the plastic under tray and were lodged. I removed them and drove home to the sound of scraping plastic. I put the car up on ramps when I got home and cut off the broken part of the under tray and noticed something had been leaking. I took a peak and it looked like it was leaking from above the axle? See pics below. Any ideas???
1000002829.jpg

1000002827.jpg

1000002828.jpg

I believe that is a picture of the electric differential oil pump and the leak appears to be oil not coolant. If I remember correctly, that oil flows through a heat exchanger that is located on the top side of the motor(s). The other side of that heat exchanger has coolant flowing though. There is two O-rings on the oil pump that can sometimes develop a slow leak that you might not notice until you remove the aero-shield (or have a pallet remove it for you). You may not have damaged anything other than the aero shield and had an existing leak prior to the incidence; however, I would inspect thing very closely. On my 2018 Model 3, I installed an aftermarket metal aero-shield because it was even more flimsy than the hard plastic ones on the newer vehicles.

I believe that is a picture of the electric differential oil pump and the leak appears to be oil not coolant. If I remember correctly, that oil flows through a heat exchanger that is located on the top side of the motor(s). The other side of that heat exchanger has coolant flowing though. There is two O-rings on the oil pump that can sometimes develop a slow leak that you might not notice until you remove the aero-shield (or have a pallet remove it for you). You may not have damaged anything other than the aero shield and had an existing leak prior to the incidence; however, I would inspect thing very closely. On my 2018 Model 3, I installed an aftermarket metal aero-shield because it was even more flimsy than the hard plastic ones on the newer vehicles.

Thanks for the reply!

I have a service scheduled next Friday to drop the car off and have them take a look. I also purchased a metal aero shield. I haven't put it on yet as I don't want them to give me a hard time for aftermarket parts, and the existing heat shield has oil all over it so perhaps it will help them trace the leak. I am going to ask them to throw what is left of the aero shield away but make sure I get the bolts back so I can install the metal aero shield after I pick up the car.