Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SOLVED: Homelink with Genie Intellicode remote

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Posting this in case it helps someone who finds themselves in the same predicament...

I just returned my leased 2019 Model 3 and took delivery on a 2022 Model S LR. Both vehicles were equipped with Homelink, and I had no difficulty programming the Model 3 Homelink to work with my electric front gate and my Genie Intellicode garage door opener. However, I had a devil of a time getting Homelink in the new Model S to work with the Genie Intellicode opener. I followed the on-screen programming instructions until I was blue in the face, and the car said that everything was successful but clicking on the "Tesla Garage" softkey would not trigger the Genie opener. Arggghhh!

Finally, I decided to go back to first principles and research exactly how a regular Genie Intellicode remote is programmed to the Genie opener. What I learned was that after putting the opener into "learn mode" it was necessary to press the key on the remote 4 or 5 times in order for the learning process to "take." I verified this by reprogramming one of the unused keys on my three-key Genie remote. Sure enough, it took 5 button presses before the opener's learn-mode light went out and the new key was learned.

I suspected that maybe the Tesla Homelink software wasn't doing that, so...

I re-did the Tesla Homelink programming procedure one more time as directed. Then as soon as it said it was successful, I quickly brought up the "Tesla Garage" softkey and pressed on it several times in succession. (This needs to be done quickly, because the Genie operator only remains in learn mode for about 20 seconds before it times out.) Sure enough, after a couple of softkey presses, the opener activated and Homelink has been working flawlessly with my Genie opener ever since.

Tesla needs to tweak its Homelink software, but in the meantime maybe this will save someone else from going through the blue-in-the-face routine that I did.

Bingo!! I've been working all afternoon with my Overhead Door Odyssey 1000 (related to the Genie openers) with no luck, trying to link it to my new 2022 Model Y with the newly installed Tesla OEM Homelink kit. No luck. Frustrating...

Then searched the forums, found this, and worked first time. Thanks Mike Busch for posting this perfect description.

Hey guys! I'm a new model y performance owner as of late June and new to the website.

I'm having issues with my homelink after getting it installed.

Info:
- I have an old dip receiver/garage opener.
- I bought a genie universal rolling code receiver: genie girud-1t to get a better signal and because I saw that homelike works with rolling code receivers and this particular upgrade in other posts.
- just finished installing the receiver and tested it with programming a button on the included remote, it works well. Existing garage button still works. Range is overwhelmingly increased.
- I programmed homelink from my MYP screen pushing the softkey several times as instructed from OP and from the programming instructions. Learning code LED indicator turns off as expected when a new remote is successfully programmed.

The issue:
The softkey does not work, at least consistently. Whenever I push the softkey I see the receiver LED flicker on the receiver. But no action. It did however open 1-2 minutes later after I gave up pushing the softkey. I Initially thought I accidentally hit the physical remote in my pocket but I got a Tesla app notification that homelink was used to open the garage.

I did also notice that when I open the garage with the physical remote the led is solid and then turns off. But the Tesla only gets a soft flickering light.

Has anyone else had this issue? Does the universal receiver even work with homelink?

Thanks everyone for the help.

Hey guys! I'm a new model y performance owner as of late June and new to the website.

Info:
- I bought a genie universal rolling code receiver: genie girud-1t to get a better signal and because I saw that homelike works with rolling code receivers and this particular upgrade in other posts.
- just finished installing the receiver and tested it with programming a button on the included remote, it works well. Existing garage button still works. Range is overwhelmingly increased.
- I programmed homelink from my MYP screen pushing the softkey several times as instructed from OP and from the programming instructions. Learning code LED indicator turns off as expected when a new remote is successfully programmed.

The issue:
The softkey does not work, at least consistently. Whenever I push the softkey I see the receiver LED flicker on the receiver. But no action. It did however open 1-2 minutes later after I gave up pushing the softkey. I Initially thought I accidentally hit the physical remote in my pocket but I got a Tesla app notification that homelink was used to open the garage.

I did also notice that when I open the garage with the physical remote the led is solid and then turns off. But the Tesla only gets a soft flickering light.

Has anyone else had this issue? Does the universal receiver even work with homelink?

I forgot to mention that I deleted and programed the homelink serval times and under different names each to really make sure it's fresh

Info:

The issue:

I was able to resolve this, and I hope it helps anyone else with programming GIRUD-1T when upgrading your current non-rolling-code garage system.

The included remote control needs to be put into learning mode after you've programmed it to work with the new receiver.
Putting it into said mode requires you to:
long press the programmed button until both red and green LEDs are lit. Hard to see on my equipment but a little bit of tilting it helped.
push the programmed button twice to toggle between modes theres only 2.
you know you're in learning mode when the LED is red.
now you can continue with Tesla's onscreen prompt.

Works very well now.

Works perfectly!!! It worked after activating twice with mine. Just had to move through the steps a little bit faster. Thank you for posting this. I just bought a model 3 before Christmas and this Homelink issue was driving me crazy. Couldn't have done it without you thank you again.

(2023 MYLR; Genie 7155 GDO) The method suggested by the OP did not work for me after two hours of insanity (repeating the same steps over and over while expecting a different result). What DID work was modifying the first, car-learning step. The established procedure here is to press and hold the remote button by the front bumper until the car lights flash after a few seconds (sometimes adding an extra 20-30 seconds as suggested by some other posts). Instead, my solution was to replace the single press-and-hold with 5 pulses on the remote button of 2 seconds each. Lights flashed during the second or third pulse. After five pulses, continuing with the second step ended with door opening and success message at the same time - no additional screen-touches needed.

With the long weekend coming up, I thought I would come back and try and make Homelink work so I can finally get rid of the old garage door opener. I appreciate the advice. Fingers crossed. If this doesn't work, I may have to get a new garage door opener so it will work with my car 🤣.

My Dad had one of the original Model S cars (early adopter) and had the same issue with his old garage door opener. Of course back then, there were a lot fewer owners and Tesla actually sent out a service tech to his home who had seen the issue before and got it working. I wish this semi-official knowledge was preserved somewhere. Oh well.

All I can add to the original post is hold your remote 2" in front of the Tesla symbol at the front of the car in standard mode until the lights flash. Then follow the instructions, push the program button on the Gene unit. Once it says successful push the Homelink button until the garage door activates. I have 2020 Model X. Thanks so much for the original poster.