Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SolarEdge Monitoring w/Tesla Solar Panels (Using GWY10 Zigbee Gateway)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
sorry i wasn't clear about that... i connected my inverter with ethernet to my router and i do have the zigbee connected to my router too.

Interesting. The only way the data can to go the Tesla app is through the zigbee gateway. So I think one of two things is happening.

Either the inverter can use the ethernet connection and the zigbee gateway at the same time. It was my understanding that it would use one connection or the other, but not both. However, I never attempted to test that.

Or the inverter is configured to use the zigbee connection and Tesla is forwarding the data to solaredge. If the inverter is set to use zigbee, instead of set to auto connect then even though you connected it to ethernet it may not be using it.

So if you want to see what’s going on, I’d say try to disconnect the ethernet cable and see if the solaredge app is still being updated. If so, then the inverter is just using the zigbee gateway and tesla is forwarding the data. If not, then apparently the inverter is able to use both connections simultaneously.

Either the inverter can use the ethernet connection and the zigbee gateway at the same time. It was my understanding that it would use one connection or the other, but not both. However, I never attempted to test that.

I have read in a few other threads that the Zigbee connection continues for a little while after connecting Ethernet, but eventually shuts off: Can somebody confirm Zigbee settings on SolarEdge inverter?

Or the inverter is configured to use the zigbee connection and Tesla is forwarding the data to solaredge. If the inverter is set to use zigbee, instead of set to auto connect then even though you connected it to ethernet it may not be using it.

i can attest that is not the case because before i plugged in the ethernet, the solaredge monitoring app showed all blank data and the tesla app was showing realtime valid statistics. after plugging in the ethernet it almost immediately started uploading past month worth of data and eventually caught up today's too. since none of that data was populated until the ethernet was enabled, this tells me the zigbee tesla was not forwarding anything to solaredge.

Would someone here using the solaredge 7600 (without the lcd) be willing to share screen shots of their zigbee settings from setapp? I can’t get my solaredge to talk to the gateway anymore and wondering if a setting is off.

Here are some screenshots from one of my inverters. There’s really not much to it. You just need to make sure that it’s in P2P follower mode. Also check to make sure that you have your connection type set to zigbee or auto select. Keep in mind that if you have the inverter hardwired to an ethernet connection that ethernet takes priority over zigbee. If you have it set to auto select then it will never connect to your zigbee gateway as long as there is an ethernet connection. You can force the connection type to zigbee, of course, but that will prevent it from connecting over ethernet. It’s one or the other.

0C833FA1-09F1-433F-90AA-3ED7C182710E.jpeg
27D98FC1-15A9-4CCC-A267-F59ECB01EEC8.jpeg
36031D2D-0026-42EE-9D19-880E49CA86D0.jpeg
12FCF761-FDFE-43C1-8AE9-84AC1FD2AA5B.jpeg

• Helpful
Reactions: willow_hiller
Just for my curiosity (and in case I get a screen-less inverter when Tesla replaces mine), do you need a SolarEdge installer account before you can access and change these settings? And does that installer account need to be authorized by Tesla to work on the inverter, or will it work without Tesla?

You don’t need a SolarEdge installer account to access and view the settings. If you get the SetApp app there is an option for View Only that doesn’t require an installer account. (And there is actually a workaround back door that allows you to change most of the settings as well, even without an installer account.).

However, you can get an installer account without Tesla’s authorization or involvement just by signing up on the solaredge web site. Note that when you sign up for an installer account there is an optional field that asks for an inverter serial number. You want to leave that blank because if you put in your actual inverter serial number then it will cause problems since the inverter is already associated with Tesla’s installer account. But once you have the installer account (even without an associated inverter) you will be able to log into the SetApp app and see the settings as well as make changes.

Here are some screenshots from one of my inverters. There’s really not much to it. You just need to make sure that it’s in P2P follower mode. Also check to make sure that you have your connection type set to zigbee or auto select. Keep in mind that if you have the inverter hardwired to an ethernet connection that ethernet takes priority over zigbee. If you have it set to auto select then it will never connect to your zigbee gateway as long as there is an ethernet connection. You can force the connection type to zigbee, of course, but that will prevent it from connecting over ethernet. It’s one or the other.

View attachment 608565View attachment 608566View attachment 608567View attachment 608568

Thank you so much for the information. Mine are correct but no matter what I do, the Tesla app only shows data from the power blaster (consumption from grid). The solar icon remains grayed out. I’ve tried to reboot the inverter, gateway etc with no luck.

In SetApp if you look at the “Communication Info” screen that I posted above do you have green checks for everything? (Although it is OK if you don’t have a green check for the last item (Monitoring Data (S_OK)). That one indicates that the inverters are in communication with SolarEdge, but that’s not necessary for the tesla app to work, and lately it seems like that connection is intermittent. It will connect for a few minutes, then disconnect for a few minutes. But as long as you have green checks for everything through Communication with zigbee gateway then your inverter is connected to the gateway and that’s not the problem.

If you do have a green check there then my guess would be that tesla doesn’t have your inverter associated with your account. If you call tesla they should be able to make that change on the back end for you.

If you don’t have green checks there, then there is some communication issue between your inverter and the gateway. Perhaps distance is a problem.

But post a picture of your Communication Info screen or let us know what it shows there and hopefully we can figure out what’s going on.

In SetApp if you look at the “Communication Info” screen that I posted above do you have green checks for everything? (Although it is OK if you don’t have a green check for the last item (Monitoring Data (S_OK)). That one indicates that the inverters are in communication with SolarEdge, but that’s not necessary for the tesla app to work, and lately it seems like that connection is intermittent. It will connect for a few minutes, then disconnect for a few minutes. But as long as you have green checks for everything through Communication with zigbee gateway then your inverter is connected to the gateway and that’s not the problem.

If you do have a green check there then my guess would be that tesla doesn’t have your inverter associated with your account. If you call tesla they should be able to make that change on the back end for you.

If you don’t have green checks there, then there is some communication issue between your inverter and the gateway. Perhaps distance is a problem.

But post a picture of your Communication Info screen or let us know what it shows there and hopefully we can figure out what’s going on.

Thanks BrettS. I see checks all the way down including S_Ok. I use to be able to see the production but not anymore. I’ll call Tesla tomorrow.
ECB26777-96FB-4353-85C4-F54B44C6C392.jpeg

Thanks BrettS. I see checks all the way down including S_Ok. I use to be able to see the production but not anymore. I’ll call Tesla tomorrow. View attachment 608857

talked with Tesla support. They said they’re seeing “garbage” come from my inverter. However he said he could see production on my system. He tried to re-register the system. Tech is coming out to me. I also asked for a code to get solaredge monitoring but was told it will take up to 4 weeks.

talked with Tesla support. They said they’re seeing “garbage” come from my inverter. However he said he could see production on my system. He tried to re-register the system. Tech is coming out to me. I also asked for a code to get solaredge monitoring but was told it will take up to 4 weeks.

That’s weird. I wonder why your inverter is sending garbage. I don’t think we’ve seen a problem like that on the forum before. Hopefully the technician can get things sorted out for you.

As far as the solar edge monitoring I don’t know why they would say 4 weeks. Normally people are told it should only take a couple of days. I think in my case I requested it on a Friday and got it on Monday.

Does anyone have solar and powerwalls with the neo gateway working to connect to SolarEdge monitoring without having to connect ethernet?

I just got my inverter replaced yesterday and haven’t been able to get the SolarEdge server connection to work. In the Zigbee status it shows everything with a green check except for the last line (S_OK).

I’ve never had ethernet hooked up to the inverter, but have the Neo gateway and solar + 2 pwalls (the powerwalls were added a few months after the initial solar install). SolarEdge’s monitoring app shows data even after the powerwalls went in but the data became intermittent after the powerwalls were installed. After the new inverter was installed the system shows the last update was the day before, when I turned off power to the old inverter.

Any ideas on how to get it working again? What’s also strange is that the past few months the energy production reported in SE looks sporadic, but it was definitely sending something to their servers. I don’t know why it’s not working now.
C02933FA-0CAA-4CB1-80F6-4BF98C7E64A5.jpeg
372891A3-F0AC-4B76-8973-1078D0D7DA37.jpeg