Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SolarCity (SCTY)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No kidding. I hope any offer from EM is extremely generous...

We've been forgetting that one of the ways to value a growth company is to consider acquisition value. Musk is certainly the most likely person to take SolarCity off the market. At what price is he willing to do that?

The market cap is about $2B. Musk may very well believe that the retained value alone puts the value at around $3.5B. So if buys the company out at $2.5B, he adds $1B to his networth.

So forgive a novice asking here. In reality, if Elon was to try to take SCTY private, how does he go about making an offer to buy all the shares at one particular price? Or to frame my question differently: what if I'm not willing to sell my shares for less than $100?

Realizing of course that this conversation is based on a comment of the ubiquitous "some guy".

Indeed, it is just a rumor. But just the opportunity to be acquired at a low price should wake up investors.

There are two ultimate ways that shareholders are paid back: dividends and acquisition. So what a company might be acquired for is a valid basis of valuation.

So forgive a novice asking here. In reality, if Elon was to try to take SCTY private, how does he go about making an offer to buy all the shares at one particular price? Or to frame my question differently: what if I'm not willing to sell my shares for less than $100?

Not a great answer but "it depends" based on the offer. Usually, they just need a certain percentage of the shares for it to go through (e.g. 51% or 2/3). For the people that didn't tender their shares, what will most likely happen afterwards is they just keep their shares for a while. Then they'll have a secondary round where they buy up the shares for that set price anyway. In the mean time, the shares will get more and more illiquid over time as Elon buys them up. So the end difference, most likely, is that the people that tendered their shares will get paid sooner and the people that didn't will get paid once the buyout is fully complete, months/years later. This is all assuming that Elon gets the threshold 51% (or whatever the agreement is).

Status
Not open for further replies.