Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

SolarCity (SCTY)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Video: Lyndon Rive 3-3-16 | Watch Ralston Live Online | KNPB Channel 5 Video

lyndon rive responds to warren buffet in this interview. Like I've said before, if Solarcity can get a strong messaging campaign going, they win improve market valuation significantly. They will accelerate winning over more citizens, politicians, and regulators, which will reduce uncertainty and unlock market value quickly.

solarcity's number one mission should be creating broad scale messaging of the promise of their products/solar as a technology to saving consumers money and bringing control to consumers energy use unlike anytime in human history. There are many many other huge values such as national security, international relations(making fossil fuels valueless), and environmental impacts... Everything starts with the individual customer and builds from there. A complete 21st century global economic transformation. It's that big of a deal.

add:
solarcity has the ground campaign, but now need to implement a strong national air campaign(talk shows, tv episodes, high profile news interviews... Basically putting the executives out there on that national stage for max awareness.) The air campaign will really accelerate the ground campaign because of the pre-awareness created from the national media coverage. Create the narrative, don't react to a narrative. Solarcity needs to take control of their narrative, not let others do it for them.

Last edited:
Video: Lyndon Rive 3-3-16 | Watch Ralston Live Online | KNPB Channel 5 Video

lyndon rive responds to warren buffet in this interview. Like I've said before, if Solarcity can get a strong messaging campaign going, they win improve market valuation significantly. They will accelerate winning over more citizens, politicians, and regulators, which will reduce uncertainty and unlock market value quickly.

solarcity's number one mission should be creating broad scale messaging of the promise of their products/solar as a technology to saving consumers money and bringing control to consumers energy use unlike anytime in human history. There are many many other huge values such as national security, international relations(making fossil fuels valueless), and environmental impacts... Everything starts with the individual customer and builds from there. A complete 21st century global economic transformation. It's that big of a deal.

add:
solarcity has the ground campaign, but now need to implement a strong national air campaign(talk shows, tv episodes, high profile news interviews... Basically putting the executives out there on that national stage for max awareness.) The air campaign will really accelerate the ground campaign because of the pre-awareness created from the national media coverage. Create the narrative, don't react to a narrative. Solarcity needs to take control of their narrative, not let others do it for them.

Just watched the video and as a Nevada SolarCity customer I hope more voters will watch it also. Thanks for posting that link!

Not sure it anyone saw this yet...seems insanely high...if i studied SCTY as much as I did TSLA and was confident in SCTY's future the way I am about TSLA's future then I would say what this article is stating is a hugely bullish sign for SCTY stock price in the near-term...very high squeeze potential like TSLA back in early 2013

https://www.interactivebrokers.com/en/index.php?f=5599&vid=8851

Not sure it anyone saw this yet...seems insanely high...if i studied SCTY as much as I did TSLA and was confident in SCTY's future the way I am about TSLA's future then I would say what this article is stating is a hugely bullish sign for SCTY stock price in the near-term...very high squeeze potential like TSLA back in early 2013

Interesting indeed. Rule 204 means brokerages must buy shares on the open market if the shares they control are fully loaned out, so as to prevent naked shorting. I.e. if a client holds SCTY long and broker loans the share out for someone to short but then the original client sells his long position the broker must first buy SCTY on the open market to replace that share (which is still loaned out). Did I understand correctly?

Thanks for the link! For whatever reason my box isn't showing the video as-is but this link (pried out from the page) does work
http://urs.pbs.org/redirect/0a33cb20c27e4b20b1a4087621b09ce3/ ,skip the first few min it's all ads and BS.

Much better performance on Lyndon's part, still got work to do though. Don't talk energy tech terms with TV audience. Come on now how's that not obvious, you got brains just not the social awareness.

Buffet now sounds like an internet troll, just a version with a hell of a lot of money.

- - - Updated - - -

Interesting indeed. Rule 204 means brokerages must buy shares on the open market if the shares they control are fully loaned out, so as to prevent naked shorting. I.e. if a client holds SCTY long and broker loans the share out for someone to short but then the original client sells his long position the broker must first buy SCTY on the open market to replace that share (which is still loaned out). Did I understand correctly?

Yep that makes me doubt my decision to stay neutral on SCTY. The rubber band is stretched pretty much to the point where it's gonna break.

Poor articulation of the business model and value proposition remain problem #1, sales cost remains problem #2, and I'm seeing no progress on either front.

We continue to see poor articulation from Lyndon and these ridiculous Ra commercials with the bird-man. Locally I'm seeing SCTY miss out on TONS of semi-early adopter business in southeast PA because of their sales model. The well-paid sales force is clearly pushing back against efficiency as cost cutting is an existential threat to their juicy income faucet. For every penny that overall costs shrink while sales cost remains static, SCTY is losing it's competitive edge vs local installers.

We will see the Tesla 2013 scenario, but not until a critical mass of people understand the product and a plan is put in place to remove 70% of sales cost. Neither of those seem eminent.

Poor articulation of the business model and value proposition remain problem #1, sales cost remains problem #2, and I'm seeing no progress on either front.

We continue to see poor articulation from Lyndon and these ridiculous Ra commercials with the bird-man. Locally I'm seeing SCTY miss out on TONS of semi-early adopter business in southeast PA because of their sales model. The well-paid sales force is clearly pushing back against efficiency as cost cutting is an existential threat to their juicy income faucet. For every penny that overall costs shrink while sales cost remains static, SCTY is losing it's competitive edge vs local installers.

We will see the Tesla 2013 scenario, but not until a critical mass of people understand the product and a plan is put in place to remove 70% of sales cost. Neither of those seem eminent.

I agree, however, the trade volume on Thursday and Friday were extraordinary. It is difficult for me to believe that it was driven entirely by the Elon taking SolarCity private rumor.

It seems entirely plausible that there is something that has yet to come to light. HMMMM.

Au contraire, they would both be eminent, in my view. Did you mean: imminent? / googlelpful pitnick :wink:

Last edited:
Au contraire, they would both be eminent, in my view. Did you mean: imminent? / googlelpful pitnick :wink:

Doh! Yes, sorry/thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree, however, the trade volume on Thursday and Friday were extraordinary. It is difficult for me to believe that it was driven entirely by the Elon taking SolarCity private rumor.

It seems entirely plausible that there is something that has yet to come to light. HMMMM.

The kind poster in the thread below is reporting 24%+ being paid to those willing to loan out their SCTY shares through Fidelity, so they must be getting paid astronomical amounts by shorts. I'm sure there will be another squeeze up to $50-$60 soon, but that still doesn't properly value to company.

The amount paid to short this stock is similar to where TSLA was prior to that squeeze in 2013, but the squeeze MUST come in concert with Wall Street capitulation or it won't have the steam to reset valuation up above $100 where it belongs. I would like the common investor to more fully understand the product and it's value and I don't think it's ridiculous to ask SCTY to be much better at providing that clarity.

"Triple digit borrow rates could be in the near future for short holders." Holy Cow Batman! What would happen if people loaned out their stocks, only to turn around and buy more??? That could get ugly fast. I'm on the same discount brokerage I started with a year ago and they don't offer to borrow shares. How hard is it to transfer shares to another brokerage? Would IB allow me to loan shares if I just signed up?

Edit - Ugh, never mind. It takes 4-8 business days. The situation could be completely different by then, so probably not worth the hassle.

Last edited:
HMMM, as in ruminating ponderously.

Then you should write Hmmm and not the bolded Ms because they imply it's an acronym, which goes well with your "as the saying goes" but not at all with Onomatopoeia (words mimicing sounds).

- - - Updated - - -

HMMM, as in ruminating ponderously.

Then you should write Hmmm and not the bolded Ms because they imply it's an acronym, which goes well with your "as the saying goes" but not at all with Onomatopoeia (words mimicing sounds).

Caution to the wise... Arizona is currently in the midst of a net metering / demand charge rate case this week. The utility wants to do the same as Nevada, but allow for net metering. Still, if they get what they want, it would severely damage rooftop solar sales moving forward. Whatever results from this case, APS(the big utiltiy) will follow suit in summer rate review. So, the current case is pretty big with regards to uncertainty of Solarcity sales moving forward in Arizona. Need to be aware of this as you are considering big option plays right now. Might be a news cycle shorts might be planning for as negative.

Status
Not open for further replies.