Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar roof on Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
People pay big money for upgraded stereos, leather interiors, all sorts of options. On my 3 I paid extra for red paint! What’s the payback period for red paint? I’ll tell you what it is: ♾

So, when someone says it isn’t as efficient to have solar on the roof of the car compared to the roof of your house and your payback period would take forever, I say: who cares? Not everything we do is based on spending our money in the absolute most efficient manner.

If the Model 3 had a solar roof option that generated enough electricity per day to counteract the vampire drain from Sentry Mode and battery conditioning and it cost $1,000, I’d gladly pay that. Not losing range while the car sits is effectively gaining range when you are away from a charger.

People pay big money for upgraded stereos, leather interiors, all sorts of options. On my 3 I paid extra for red paint! What’s the payback period for red paint? I’ll tell you what it is: ♾

So, when someone says it isn’t as efficient to have solar on the roof of the car compared to the roof of your house and your payback period would take forever, I say: who cares? Not everything we do is based on spending our money in the absolute most efficient manner.

If the Model 3 had a solar roof option that generated enough electricity per day to counteract the vampire drain from Sentry Mode and battery conditioning and it cost $1,000, I’d gladly pay that. Not losing range while the car sits is effectively gaining range when you are away from a charger.

People choose the options that the manufacturer provides.

Are you proposing to spend your money for a Tesla solar car roof for the purpose of being efficient? Or do you just like how it looks?

There is less energy used for Sentry Mode than your body loses during sleep.

Anywhoo….it was -13F here in Chicago a few months ago ( sentry on ). I lost a total of 13 miles a day due to the cold. Losing 13 miles from a total 325 is negligible in my book.

Now its around 31F here in Chicago I lose 4 miles a day due to the cold ( sentry on ) . I would NOT pay $1000 per day to get back >1 mile a day that a solar paneled roof would generate.

Now try and think about it from Tesla's standpoint. What advantage would it be for them? Would providing a solar roof on their cars sell anymore?
Where there more Prius' sold because of the solar roof? I'm not seeing very many prius' on the road here in Chicago and Toyota has been selling those things for at least a decade.

I have 68 solar panels, and get about 11 kwh from them. They MIGHT be able to fill my car in a day if it's sunny, no clouds. But there are so many variables with car-mounted solar panels, ie. facing the sun, parking in shade or garage, etc., that it's just not worth it when you figure the car gets over 300 miles on a charge.

Parking for two weeks cannot drain the battery. Driving a couple hundred miles and parking two weeks might get it down, if you leave the AC on to cool the cabin and wake the car up several times a day to check on its state of charge.

People have not yet learned that Teslas are not Chevys, nor have they yet learned the differences in abilities and functions. Personally, I have never had my cars run out of charge. Ever. But anyone can run out of charge if they don't think and don't plan.

• Love
Reactions: Garlan Garner
I have 68 solar panels, and get about 11 kwh from them. They MIGHT be able to fill my car in a day if it's sunny, no clouds. But there are so many variables with car-mounted solar panels, ie. facing the sun, parking in shade or garage, etc., that it's just not worth it when you figure the car gets over 300 miles on a charge.

Parking for two weeks cannot drain the battery. Driving a couple hundred miles and parking two weeks might get it down, if you leave the AC on to cool the cabin and wake the car up several times a day to check on its state of charge.

People have not yet learned that Teslas are not Chevys, nor have they yet learned the differences in abilities and functions. Personally, I have never had my cars run out of charge. Ever. But anyone can run out of charge if they don't think and don't plan.

I agree 100%.

I believe science is surpassing the average folks concerning energy consumption and delivery.

As it has been stated.....it takes a massive amount of energy to charge a Tesla Model 3.

Adding a solar panel to a Model 3 is like trying to feed an elephant with 1/4 of a peanut.

It just aint worth the effort to design a way to get that done.

Last edited:
Are we supposed to all think the same way?

Is that the goal?

No. Some people will think it's worth it and some won't. It depends on the person. I agree with the guy that posted about vampire drain though. I'd be happy if it did that.. As little as that is. (and also if the glass was transparent so it didn't block my roof views. I'm sure I'm in the minority.

Last edited:

Based on today's solar cell tech, a surface the size of the car roof could harness maybe 130W. Assuming you get full sunlight exposure 10 hours a day, that's still not enough to counteract Sentry drain.

If the argument that people occasionally make is that it's okay for Tesla to save 1 dollar * cars on removing interior lights and frunk hooks, the cost of putting in a solar roof would really be unjustifiable

No. Some people will think it's worth it and some won't. It depends on the person. I agree with the guy that posted about vampire drain though. I'd be happy if it did that.. As little as that is. (and also if the glass was transparent so it didn't block my roof views. I'm sure I'm in the minority.

But there is absolutely no way that a solar panel can cover vampire drain completely.

That doesn't depend on the person.

Let me ask everyone a question:

How many watts do you think a Solar Panel puts out?

Now....how many watts do you think is used in vampire drain?

Why have so many people come to the conclusion that a single ( flat to the sky ) panel WILL fully compensate for vampire drain?

My current vampire drain is .5 m/hr. Does anyone know how many watts that is?

and if anyone happens to know the square footage of a model 3 roof all the way to the trunk (or the dimensions) I'll figure it out.

Napkin math 100-150w or so. That's like a beefy computer at mid load. Which is not surprising.

100w would be more than generous for a model 3 roof size.

So 100w/H would yield you .25 miles per day ( 24 hours ) Now if we are generous.....we have to cut that down by at least a half due to the fact that the sun doesn't shine all day.

That would be .13 miles per full sunshine day if you could put your car on a lazy Susan tilted at 22 degrees to track the sun.

So....absolutely best case scenario....you would get about .13 miles per day with a Tesla solar roof.

again...its like 1/4 of a peanut to an elephant.

Napkin math 100-150w or so. That's like a beefy computer at mid load. Which is not surprising.

Oh 150w isn't much. Any idea the dimensions of the roof? I'm roughly estimating I could fit 4 goal zero 100w panels in the surface area. Which actually is really good and way above vampire drain. I'd have to know the exact dimensions to give a better estimate. And yes it's assuming perfect conditions which is what everyone assumes when talking about solar.