Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Power Switch On party

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dan - We had a really enjoyable time at your party. Your solar installation is impressive and combined with that precision line-up of a dozen Tesla's out front, your house was the renewable-energy capital of Plantation Florida today.

The camaraderie of Tesla owners is like no other car we've ever owned and it just keeps getting better. The old-timers and newcomers alike all seem to share an adventurous/inquisitive DNA. I don't know if this will fade with time, but so far, we're appreciating every opportunity to get together and share experiences, so thanks for providing one of those opportunities today.

Dan,
Thanks for inviting me to your Tesla/Solar get together. I, too, enjoyed meeting everyone. Good folks, nice cars, good food. The Solar system looked wonderful. Just wish I had more roof area available for one!
Tesla.jpeg

Thanks guys. I wouldn't have been as successful if you all hadn't turned up lol The 14 (at peak) Tesla's mounted up outside was the highlight of the day I'd say. Just don't mention it to any passing BMW drivers :wink:

DSC02991a.jpg

Tesla Corner
DSC03021a.jpg

The Tesla Belles
DSC03029a.jpg

Tesla Guys

- - - Updated - - -

The only problem now is I have so much leftover, I'll have to hold another party lol

Here's a little video I shot while we were lining up all 12 Tesla's for the photoshoot. My favorite bit is the irrepressible Joe in the frunk (joer000) at the end. "German engineering in the frunk" :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's the finished roof with all 37 panels installed. Now I wait for the final City inspection then for FPL to arrive and swap out the existing meter with a Net meter (probably 2 weeks?). 8Kw of raw power was being generated at about 2pm this afternoon. The kWh figure is higher which is why I assume the total system is rated for 10.2 Kw. Also, until the Net meter is installed, you don't want to produce more than you use because with the standard positive flow meter, you'll get charged extra!

Apparently FPL doesn't require an external disconnect switch. Some were asking about that on Saturday.

DSC03031a.jpg

Well, today, 2 weeks after the FPL net meter application paperwork was approved, they came and installed the net meter. Now I'm running on sun power. The 2 inverters peak about 9Kw in direct sunlight which is their rated output and about 2Kw when cloudy. So far, I'm getting about 5Kw average. The best part is the meter runs backwards :smile:

Capture.PNG
IMG_20140716_110627.jpg

Well, today, 2 weeks after the FPL net meter application paperwork was approved, they came and installed the net meter. Now I'm running on sun power. The 2 inverters peak about 9Kw in direct sunlight which is their rated output and about 2Kw when cloudy. So far, I'm getting about 5Kw average. The best part is the meter runs backwards :smile:

View attachment 53883 View attachment 53884

Which app/device are you using to display the current and culmulative power consumption/output?

Thanks. I have the same SMA inverter as well. However, I did not buy the extra SMA option to connect the inverter to the internet. I was told it would cost >$1,000 each. Were you able to get it for less?

To be honest, I don't know how much extra the Webconnect feature was as it was included in the package. I don't think it was particularly expensive though. It is very useful to be able to monitor the system while absent and also enables you creates a permanent logbook record. All I had to do was provide a network switch for connection to my wireless internet.

Thanks. I have the same SMA inverter as well. However, I did not buy the extra SMA option to connect the inverter to the internet. I was told it would cost >$1,000 each. Were you able to get it for less?

It is about $1000 for the Sunny Boy Bluetooth Web Box but only one is required for multiple inverters. I have two SMA 7000 inverters being Bluetooth monitored and web connected 24/7. I've had this since 11/2011 and highly recommend it. The system and software are very well designed and maintained. Lot's on data and accessible anywhere in the world via the web or the app. As mentioned above the app is not as robust but still very useful.