Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software V8.1 Update Confusion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My December 2015 Model S told me it was ready to install Software Update v8.1 (17.11.10) today and that it would take 1 hour and 40 minutes. I started the install and was surprised to get a message that it was successfully installed about 15 minutes later. I went out and read the release notes, expecting some big changes in the audio interface and perhaps the internet app. All I found on the release notes was 1) Favorites Radio Station, 2) Ratings and Open Hours, 3) Voice Commands for Favorite Locations. Is that all there is for non-AP2 cars?

Adding insult to injury, my Tesla iPhone app no longer communicates with the car, despite being updated.

Any ideas? Hints? Any way to reload the 8.1 update?

My December 2015 Model S told me it was ready to install Software Update v8.1 (17.11.10) today and that it would take 1 hour and 40 minutes. I started the install and was surprised to get a message that it was successfully installed about 15 minutes later. I went out and read the release notes, expecting some big changes in the audio interface and perhaps the internet app. All I found on the release notes was 1) Favorites Radio Station, 2) Ratings and Open Hours, 3) Voice Commands for Favorite Locations. Is that all there is for non-AP2 cars?

Adding insult to injury, my Tesla iPhone app no longer communicates with the car, despite being updated.

Hell no, are you kidding me? You got an etch-a-sketch drawing pad too!! :)

What version are you running now?

Regarding the iPhone connection. Force quit and restart the iPhone Tesla App by double clicking the hiome button and swiping upward onthe Tesla App.

Nosken: Running 8.1 (17.11.10). After reloading the Tesla app, I rebooted the Tesla's main computer, and now everything seems to be working...

BUT, I can't get the etch-a-sketch to work - tapping the Tesla Logo at the top of the screen three times, but nothing happens...??

Nosken: Running 8.1 (17.11.10). After reloading the Tesla app, I rebooted the Tesla's main computer, and now everything seems to be working...

BUT, I can't get the etch-a-sketch to work - tapping the Tesla Logo at the top of the screen three times, but nothing happens...??
I couldn't get it to work either by doing the same. Glad it wasn't just me!

The ratings and open hours thing is the only one that really miffed me.

Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but the only way I can get it to come up is if I have it as my destination
But, the Nav system won't show me places that are nearest to me first.

I can't just look at the map and select a starbucks to get the ratings, and open hours like I can on google maps or apple maps.

Reactions: whitex

As was stated earlier, three quick taps. But make sure that you're on a regular screen not one of the settings screens.

The real 8.1 has been discussed since 8.0 was released last fall, and was originally slated for December 2016 release. At this point, even the most optimistic projections point to at least 6 months later than what was originally stated.

If I were 6 months late on a project... hell, 6 weeks... or even 6 days... after I gave my word time and time again and failed to meet all of my stated timelines... my ass would be grass.

If Elon does it? Tesla stock rises exponentially.

God bless America.

anyone talking about Spotify integration for us US Tesla owners? I think that was a "coming soon" excitement from Electrek.co site back in Sept/Oct 2016 and still no spotify support (where as EU customers have it as default since Dec 2015)...that would be a far more usable feature to have than these pads...

anyone talking about Spotify integration for us US Tesla owners? I think that was a "coming soon" excitement from Electrek.co site back in Sept/Oct 2016 and still no spotify support (where as EU customers have it as default since Dec 2015)...that would be a far more usable feature to have than these pads...

I totally agree. But, I sort of gave up hope on any substantial improvements for the car.