Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So who actually has configured their P or AWD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very interesting new development: my Performance build now shows "Performance Discount", which wasn't there as of yesterday. Could they be revising the pricing? Or is this just a temporary glitch?

View attachment 305724

I wish they revisited the pricing and made more like the BMW M3 but I doubt they will do that. Interesting.

Maybe Elon made to type 68k instead of 78k ...

I wish they revisited the pricing and made more like the BMW M3 but I doubt they will do that. Interesting.

Maybe Elon made to type 68k instead of 78k ...

$68k would eliminate a lot of mental gymnastics for sure, probably double or triple the number of P orders relative to $78k. Other thing that would have been nice is if EAP/FSD were included in the $78k price. One can only dream...

$68k would eliminate a lot of mental gymnastics for sure, probably double or triple the number of P orders relative to $78k. Other thing that would have been nice is if EAP/FSD were included in the $78k price. One can only dream...

This video from Teslanomics is interesting; from an experiment that he did he found that not many people would get the performance version.

At least for me it could tip the scales from AWD toward P: At $68k I’d probably be in, but at $78k I’m out. Seems like Tesla would have chosen the price point carefully to maximize profit on the demand curve, though. I’d be surprised if they backpedaled.

I wonder if the “performance discount” is just a line item that subtracts out the cost of any options like paint that you would have otherwise been charged for? Hard to say without seeing the breakdown.

Gonna try this again, speculate away...

If you still can't see it for whatever reason, it simply adds a line item to my "Model 3 build details" page that says, "Performance Discount 1"

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-06-02 at 2.31.24 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-06-02 at 2.31.24 AM.png
    143.5 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Gonna try this again, speculate away...

If you still can't see it for whatever reason, it simply adds a line item to my "Model 3 build details" page that says, "Performance Discount 1"

Based on that I think the previous poster is right- it's a line item indicating the things that are normally "extra" like the 20s and the paint are included with performance pricing- it simply offsets the price of those items being "added" in their system

• Helpful
Reactions: FlyNavy01
I wish they'd call that a performance package instead of using it as a performance discount. I'd almost say it's insulting to call it a discount unless you're going to say that performance costs, (78000 + 9000 PUP + 5000 AWD + 1000 Paint + 4000 Wheels + 1500 Spoiler) = $98,500 but don't worry, you get a $20,500 performance discount brining the price to an easily affordable (/s) $78,000 (excluding autopilot). o_O

I wish they'd call that a performance package instead of using it as a performance discount. I'd almost say it's insulting to call it a discount unless you're going to say that performance costs, (78000 + 9000 PUP + 5000 AWD + 1000 Paint + 4000 Wheels + 1500 Spoiler) = $98,500 but don't worry, you get a $20,500 performance discount brining the price to an easily affordable (/s) $78,000 (excluding autopilot). o_O
You have a point there. Or maybe even “included options”.

The funny part to me is they offer to let you take the 18s instead of the 20s, but don't give you back the $4000 the switch in the other direction costs on non-P models.

(ditto the 1k refund on the "free" paint)

I imagine there's at least a few folks who'd rather pay 73k for the P on 18s in black

The funny part to me is they offer to let you take the 18s instead of the 20s, but don't give you back the $4000 the switch in the other direction costs on non-P models.

I imagine there's at least a few folks who'd rather pay 73k for the P on 18s in black
1. Buy with the 20s
2. Buy the 18s from someone trying to get rid of them
3. Sell the 20s
4. Profit!

Pretty sure I'd prefer the 18" Aero wheels wrapped in Pilot Sport 4S tires--best of both worlds.

1. Buy with the 20s
2. Buy the 18s from someone trying to get rid of them
3. Sell the 20s
4. Profit!
As I recall from the product listing on Tesla's site, a rear suspension part gets changed with the installation of the 20" wheels... so, that could complicate your plan.