Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So sick of the negativity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Everywhere you look and everywhere you hear so much negativity about Tesla. Seems like everyone is predicting it’s demise or whining about a lack of a feature. I’m going on the record to say I just got my model 3 yesterday and so far I love EVERYTHING about it. Panel gaps? Nope! Paint defects? Nope! Scratches on the center console? Nope! Problems with phone as a key? Nope! works Everytime.
That’s the problem with forums such as these they bring out the outliers, the few with unusual problems or the trolls. Well I’m hear to say that the model 3 I got was everything I want and more.

Three factors to consider here:

1) TSLA is the most shorted public company. That means there are a tremendous number of people, and more importantly, institutional investors, that have heavily bet on its demise. When that happens, you will inevitably see negative media coverage, some more innocent than others. Yes, shorts can buy news.

2) I've been on a lot of car forums over many years. In general, you are going to see more of a concentration of negativity on them, generally because the people that are happy just go drive their car and don't make posts. I'm a good example. I'm a Model S owner, but these days I visit here because I'm interested in the Model 3 ramp. I visit the Model S forum every once in awhile, but usually only because some quirk or problem happens and I want to see if there's a good answer. So already you can expect to have a generally negative slant, where a lot of posts are "this happened, what do I do?"

3) This one is not confined to cars. It has to do with the psychology that goes along with the waiting process. The saying that "waiting is the hardest part" is pretty true. When there is a highly desirable product, whether it be a car, a phone, software, etc., people that are going through the waiting process tend to have bouts of negativity. I have no doubt many reservation holders have over-saturated themselves with the details of the car they haven't even got to order yet and they are going stir crazy! Enthusiasm and expectation can quickly turn into impatience and (hopefully temporary) disappointment.

Long story short, every Model 3 owner I've talked with is absolutely delighted with the product. I hope as production continues to ramp up that only continues.

I've had my share of small issues with my '14 S60, but this car has completely changed my outlook on personal transportation. It's so fundamental that it's hard to communicate to folks that still want to make comparisons to cars you have to drag to the gas station once every week or two. I get that everyone doesn't agree with that, but the good news is once you're in one, you don't need to argue with anyone, you have the luxury of driving it and enjoying it every day, and not thinking about the negativity anymore.

Super tl;dr

I am one of the ones who has posted what I think you are referring to as a negative story, only because it is true. My car has been in service for months now. Am I picky, yes I am. Do I expect perfection, absolutely not. Have I bought many other cars without any of these issues, absolutely.

I have seen a lot of Model 3s and I can tell you they are not all perfect. I get the benefit of seeing behind the scenes and learning things that most don’t know and I will only say they are working to improve many things. The quality is improving but I still see some new ones being delivered with what I think are very noticeable defects they need to improve on.

Does Tesla deliver perfect Mosel S or Model X cars after years of production, absolutely not. In general, they need to work on quality. This is confirmed not just by my opinion but by numerous conversations with employees and other customers while at the superchargers over the past couple years. Service is stretched thin working to resolve quality issues every day.

I am happy that you are happy. I want to see Tesla succeed. I post my story to help ensure others do not have to go through what I am going through. I post my story to provide feedback to Tesla to hopefully allow more customers like yourself to be happy with their purchase from day one. Enjoy.

It just the nature of online forums in general, not just car forums. Ever been on MMO game forums? Buckle up and throw on that flame suit.

You have to seriously take a subjective approach when you go to places like this. Yes, people with a beef will be posting more than happy customers with no issues, but staying informed about other peoples issues prepares you for what to watch out for. And you learn things about the product you normally wouldn't even consider. I'm taking delivery next week and I feel incredibly more well informed about this car because of these forums.

Just keep a thick skin when perusing here. Don't take the bait when put in front of your nose.

Tesla's products are indeed magnificent. My P85DL is by far the best car I have ever owned or driven. It is fantastic to hear that you love your Model 3.

Sadly, my opinion of Tesla as a company is very different. After a while, the new owner glow dissipates and is replaced by the frustrations of the constant missed promises (some would call them lies). Tesla today behaves very differently to the Tesla of yesteryear, partially because of external enemies, but mostly because they keep shooting themselves in the foot.

Been on various car forums since probably 2000 and while there certainly is a lot of negativity about Tesla I have never seen so many sycophants either, average the two out and it might just be normal.

MrAustraliaTax, I traded a 2015 Chevy SS which you would know as a Holden Commodore on my 2014 P85. Several features from that car I would love on the Tesla, but still happy with my choice.

The other thing I see with the Tesla is a sense of entitlement I have never seen on any other car forum, how many threads do we see about people upset they haven't gotten the latest update and they heard someone else got the update 3 days ago. How many threads do we see complaining about "not enough superchargers where I want to go" or right by my house so I can fuel up for free?

These are not expectations placed on any other manufacturer.

I get the benefit of seeing behind the scenes and learning things that most don’t know and I will only say they are working to improve many things. The quality is improving but I still see some new ones being delivered with what I think are very noticeable defects they need to improve on.
Hmmmm, that statement is pretty obtuse. I think this is the kind of negativity the OP is referring to. The attitude is "I know more than you do, believe me." I want to be informed about both positive and negative aspects of the model 3, but you will need to give me more information before you have any credibility with me.
I have never seen so many sycophants either,
Because someone likes a car and a car company, they are a "sycophant?" So let me use some highfalutin words. Sycophant is a pejorative word used to connotate an implied epithet to demean a class of people. Sycophant could be construed as a more highfalutin word for "fanboy" which the moderators have said is not permitted on this forum along with "troll."

Last edited:
Hmmmm, that statement is pretty obtuse. I think this is the kind of negativity the OP is referring to. The attitude is "I know more than you do, believe me." I want to be informed about both positive and negative aspects of the model 3, but you will need to give me more information before you have any credibility with me.

Because someone likes a car and a car company, they are a "sycophant?" So let me use some highfalutin words. Sycophant is a pejorative word used to connotate an implied epithet to demean a class of people. Sycophant could be construed as a more highfalutin word for "fanboy" which the moderators have said is not permitted on this forum along with "troll."

CNBC: Chinese parts such as door frames being reworked by Tesla

Noted on your displeasure for being called out as unreasonably biased in Tesla's favor I will refrain from further use of the listed terms. Let me put it another way, never before have I seen so many so blindly faithful to a car brand, unrealistic to the point of dishonesty about the pros dismissive of the cons and so gleeful about any hiccup any other company should have. VERY off putting to those not part of the crowd and I think a contributing factor for those who do feel negatively about Tesla.

This is not said about all Tesla owners but it does seem to be shockingly common.

One thing I've long noticed is that experiences online often don't match up with experiences in real-life.

That applies to many fields (I hesitate to say "all"), but for now I will focus on EVs. I have talked to over 20,000 people in-person about EVs over the years, and a few hundred of them have been Tesla owners.

In real conversations, the vast majority of people are far more reasonable and realistic than online discussions would lead you to believe. There is still a large lack of knowledge, many misconceptions and some over-the-top fanboy-ism, but in real life most people are likely to accept new information and moderate their stance.

Also in real life, almost every EV owner I have spoken with has been incredibly happy with their vehicle. Online the complaint ratio seems to be well over an order of magnitude higher. There are some good theories as to why this is the case above, and I have some of my own. But for my purposes here, the reason why this happens is less important than simply keeping in mind that it does happen. Online discussion gives one a skewed impression.

Tesla's products are indeed magnificent. My P85DL is by far the best car I have ever owned or driven. It is fantastic to hear that you love your Model 3.

Sadly, my opinion of Tesla as a company is very different. After a while, the new owner glow dissipates and is replaced by the frustrations of the constant missed promises (some would call them lies). Tesla today behaves very differently to the Tesla of yesteryear, partially because of external enemies, but mostly because they keep shooting themselves in the foot.

I think Elon should rethink his public statements of overly-optimistic targets. That said... They are targets, not promises.

Noted on your displeasure for being called out as unreasonably biased in Tesla's favor I will refrain from further use of the listed terms.
And who designated you to be the arbiter of what is reasonably or unreasonably biased in or against Tesla's favor?
Let me put it another way, never before have I seen so many so blindly faithful to a car brand, unrealistic to the point of dishonesty about the pros dismissive of the cons and so gleeful about any hiccup any other company should have. VERY off putting to those not part of the crowd and I think a contributing factor for those who do feel negatively about Tesla.
I guess you haven't spent a lot of time on other brand specific car forums like Prius, BMW, Porsche, MBZ, etc. What is very off putting are negative posts that have no basis in fact, such as the post above, "I know more than you do, believe me." I welcome posts that point out individual problems (that are for the most part isolated) and constructive proactive feedback how the owner was addressing the problem. Posts that say, "I see so many problems but don't ask me how I see them" are not helpful and are very off putting. And the media does seem to concentrate Tesla for better or worse. So it is not unexpected that members of this Forum would point out that problems are not isolated and endemic to Tesla but apply to other car makers too. And never before have I seen so many investors who short a company and take great pleasure and dishonesty in attempting to denigrate a company just to line their own pockets. SHOCKING!

This is not said about all Tesla owners but it does seem to be shockingly common.
Oh I think you have made it abundantly clear what you mean.

Everywhere you look and everywhere you hear so much negativity about Tesla. Seems like everyone is predicting it’s demise or whining about a lack of a feature. I’m going on the record to say I just got my model 3 yesterday and so far I love EVERYTHING about it. Panel gaps? Nope! Paint defects? Nope! Scratches on the center console? Nope! Problems with phone as a key? Nope! works Everytime.
That’s the problem with forums such as these they bring out the outliers, the few with unusual problems or the trolls. Well I’m hear to say that the model 3 I got was everything I want and more.
An often missed treasure in this forum is the Roadster section. Roadster owners were the original Tesla enthusiasts -- they took the leap spending more than most will on an S or an X, with no charging network (except the ones they built, esp on the West coast) - the true definition of 'early adopters'.

And while you'll find complaints here & there, the majority of original Roadster owners spend their time helping each other. You won't find the skewed negativity, just a bunch of good people who love the tech. And I'm pleased to say I count many as friends.

Edit: Oh! And none of the drama! It's remarkably drama-free.

There are multiple ways to rank Shorts. Tesla is currently the most shorted in total $s. You can also look at Shorts vs Float where Tesla is far down and also by Days to Cover (how many days it would take to buy back all the shorts based on average volume).

Tesla has 100× the Market Cap of AAOI so naturally Shorts investors are more focused on Tesla than AAOI.

When people refer to TESLA as most shorted stock, they never mention it as just the amounted of money.

Yes , I’m still correct as I was referring to short float percentage.

Of course , who care about the total amount of money being shorted. Nobody ever refer to that on stock market or that would drive or affect how stock perform. Short squeeze only happen if your stock has large percentage of float being short

Reactions: Mod3forMe