Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

So my car was vandalized. What can I do to protect further damage before my windshield is replaced?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(Title)

*to protect FROM further damage...

And no, Sentry didn't catch it. Sentry couldn't catch the perpetrator, since the object was thrown from the opposite side of the house.

I just put some packing tape on the "hole." Looks like that entire part is about to break down. I also scheduled a Tesla SC appointment and will need to get towed by AAA the morning of my appointment.

Attachments

• 20230617_022424.jpg
    20230617_022424.jpg
    332.7 KB · Views: 237
I think the answer is obvious: find a secure, locked garage to park it in...even if you have to pay to store it there.
I don't have that option available, unfortunately:/ there are no garaged parking lots within walking distance. There *are* apartment complexes that have garages as an option, but those are the more expensive luxury apartments in town.

I guess I know where I'm moving to next ..

Did it also crack on the inside? The reason I ask is because these are laminated windshields, there's two pieces of glass.

As for security, how about a house cam, so at least you can see the direction the rock may come from, etc.

Reactions: fredjan
Did it also crack on the inside? The reason I ask is because these are laminated windshields, there's two pieces of glass.

As for security, how about a house cam, so at least you can see the direction the rock may come from, etc.
Yeah, there were pieces of glass on the inside and all over my steering wheel and driver's seat/floor mats. I vacuumed most of the inside, but I think I'll put some tape on it

Edit: I'm going to ask my apartment complex if I can install outdoor security cameras

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
Out of curiosity... how much would it cost to tow the car 120 miles via Tesla Roadside Assistance?

I have AAA Premier, which should cover the tow from my town to Sterling. However, in case AAA doesn't find a provider on time, I would like to have Tesla Roadside as a backup. I do have Roadside Plus service through Tesla insurance

Out of curiosity... how much would it cost to tow the car 120 miles via Tesla Roadside Assistance?

I have AAA Premier, which should cover the tow from my town to Sterling. However, in case AAA doesn't find a provider on time, I would like to have Tesla Roadside as a backup. I do have Roadside Plus service through Tesla insurance
There is a good chance its the same towing company that provides towing services to both AAA and Tesla (and likely other companies) in your area. Its likely going to be easier / Less stress for AAA premier towing to handle it. Tesla will likely want you to take it to "the closest place that can handle it".

If thats not the same as where you want to take it, then that could be an issue. Thats why you kept AAA premier, right (I also kept my AAA premier with 200 mile towing).

• Informative
Reactions: KenC and fredjan
There is a good chance its the same towing company that provides towing services to both AAA and Tesla (and likely other companies) in your area. Its likely going to be easier / Less stress for AAA premier towing to handle it. Tesla will likely want you to take it to "the closest place that can handle it".

If thats not the same as where you want to take it, then that could be an issue. Thats why you kept AAA premier, right?
I actually got AAA Premier for a road trip earlier this year. Nothing happened, fortunately, which is ironic given that I now need it for damage that happened at my new apartment complex :/

I think the closest place that can *actually* fix it is the Sterling Tesla Service Center (edit: you're right, the closest place isn't where I want it to be fixed). The closest Safelite place is in Charlottesville, so I guess Tesla Roadside would cover that *but* I definitely prefer getting it repaired at the SC

Right now my car kinda looks like this:

1000004902.jpg

To prevent water from leaking in during the 2 hr tow, I was thinking of applying a windshield repair kit. I know it won't be super effective, but at least it's something... no?

Also, I was thinking of taping some cardboard once the car is on the tow truck. Does that make sense?

Edit: right now my car is garaged. We have quite a bit of rain forecast in VA for the next couple of days. The tow will happen during the rain. Those two hours will be the only time my car is exposed to the elements.

Right now my car kinda looks like this:

View attachment 948203

To prevent water from leaking in during the 2 hr tow, I was thinking of applying a windshield repair kit. I know it won't be super effective, but at least it's something... no?

Also, I was thinking of taping some cardboard once the car is on the tow truck. Does that make sense?

Edit: right now my car is garaged. We have quite a bit of rain forecast in VA for the next couple of days. The tow will happen during the rain. Those two hours will be the only time my car is exposed to the elements.

Windshield repair kits are not designed for massive damage to the windshield like yours, more like a pebble sized crack hitting from smaller rocks/objects to the windshield. You might as well put some duct tape and it would be more effective than this.

Windshield repair kits are not designed for massive damage to the windshield like yours, more like a pebble sized crack hitting from smaller rocks/objects to the windshield. You might as well put some duct tape and it would be more effective than this.
Ok, serious question... apart from literally taping duct tape and a piece of cardboard, how else could I protect my car (other than purchasing a car cover, which isn't an option by this point)? Could the windshield withstand two hours of rain?

Ok, serious question... apart from literally taping duct tape and a piece of cardboard, how else could I protect my car (other than purchasing a car cover, which isn't an option by this point)? Could the windshield withstand two hours of rain?
Thinking out loud at this point...

I've decided to plastic wrap the outside of the windshield with Uhaul mover's wrap that I had lying around, and the inside with duct tape
You already posted, but I was going to suggest also just taping some plastic over the outside of the windshield. Make sure you tape a continuous piece of tape all the way across the top, so that water won't get under the plastic from rolling down the roof. Also tape the edges (including bottom edge) so the wind doesn't get underneath and blow it off.

In the inside you can put some towels in case rain does get inside. Most of the car is plastic, so it can withstand some water. The most important thing is to prevent water from getting into the base of the vent, including the base of the a-pillars (you can see them stuffing something to block the seams).
When people get their cars tinted, some tinters failed to block the water from getting in and ended up frying some components inside.

If you're actually going to have it towed, I'd cover the outside in duct tape. In overlapping layers starting from the bottom.

If you are going to drive it, I'd use clear packing tape. Same thing, overlapping layers from the bottom.

I doubt Tesla Roadside would tow for free, I'd use the AAA since you have it. Also contact your insurance company

Reactions: fredjan
If you're actually going to have it towed, I'd cover the outside in duct tape. In overlapping layers starting from the bottom.

If you are going to drive it, I'd use clear packing tape. Same thing, overlapping layers from the bottom.

I doubt Tesla Roadside would tow for free, I'd use the AAA since you have it. Also contact your insurance company
I can't drive it for 2 hrs to the service center. I drove it for 7 minutes, and it was the most eerie and least safe I've felt ever since my alignment went out of whack (which was almost 2 months ago and later fixed). Definitely didn't enjoy hearing the windshield crack while driving

You already posted, but I was going to suggest also just taping some plastic over the outside of the windshield. Make sure you tape a continuous piece of tape all the way across the top, so that water won't get under the plastic from rolling down the roof. Also tape the edges (including bottom edge) so the wind doesn't get underneath and blow it off.

In the inside you can put some towels in case rain does get inside. Most of the car is plastic, so it can withstand some water. The most important thing is to prevent water from getting into the base of the vent, including the base of the a-pillars (you can see them stuffing something to block the seams).
When people get their cars tinted, some tinters failed to block the water from getting in and ended up frying some components inside.
Interesting. Looks like for the inside I could use one of my clean towels, my quilted pad, a couple gym towels, and honestly even some microfiber towels that I bought for cleaning/drying. That should all cover my dash and the important areas you mentioned.
(I still have a lot of leftover moving supplies, which is why I keep bringing them up lol)
edit: TIL duct tape doesn't damage car paint??